2018-10-5
Use props
RGMGFitness
Second Officer
Flight distance : 233757 ft
  • >>>
United States

gyrex Posted at 2018-10-4 13:32
I updated and gone through 8 batteries without an issue so far. May be too early for a clean bill of health but so far so good. I had some very minor issues with gimbal shake on .04 which I only noticed in post so I'll have to have a close look at the footage. I'll report back in a few days after running through more batteries.

Thanks for the heads up.  Always good to hear things are working for some.  
2018-10-5
Use props
RGMGFitness
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

KlooGee Posted at 2018-10-4 15:09
Once you are at the 0500 version, you can downgrade to 0400, but you can't go lower than that.  This is what I see in Assistant 2:

[view_image]

Thanks for the feedback.  Yes, I noticed the other day the newer DJI Assistant 2 (for the MAVIC 2 PRO) would not recognize my Mavic Air (on older firmware 0.0300).

I had to uninstall the DJI Assistant 2 (for the Mavic 2 Pro) and reinstall an older version of the DJI Assistant 2 (v1.2.4) for it to recognize my Mavic Air.

From the older version of DJI Assistant 2 (v1.2.4) I could see firmware versions 0.0200 - 0.0500.  I guess each version of DJI Assistant 2 is specific to the quad and can't be used for all drones.  

For Mavic Air:
DJI Assistant 2 (v1.2.4)
DJI Link to Site:  https://www.dji.com/mavic-air/info   

DJI Mavic 2 Pro:
DJI Assistant 2 For Mavic (v2.0.2)
DJI Link to Site: https://www.dji.com/mavic-2/info#specs

2018-10-5
Use props
Dalford
lvl.4
Flight distance : 619846 ft
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2018-10-4 06:01
Have a look at the tutorial video. The option to refresh and restore factory defaults are available on the same screen as update.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPmWvxeSp7E

What exactly does refresh do?  Does it just reload the firmware again?
2018-10-5
Use props
KlooGee
Second Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

RGMGFitness Posted at 2018-10-5 07:09
Thanks for the feedback.  Yes, I noticed the other day the newer DJI Assistant (2.0) will not even recognize my Mavic Air (on older firmware 0.0300).  I had to uninstall the newer version of DJI Assistant and reinstall an older version of the DJI Assistant (1.0) for it to recognize my Mavic Air.

From the older version of DJI Assistant I could see firmware versions 0.0200 - 0.0500.

Yeah, the mix of DJI Assistant versions and which aircraft they support is quite confusing to me.  I don't understand why the latest version doesn't support all of the aircraft.
2018-10-5
Use props
RGMGFitness
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

KlooGee Posted at 2018-10-5 07:13
Yeah, the mix of DJI Assistant versions and which aircraft they support is quite confusing to me.  I don't understand why the latest version doesn't support all of the aircraft.

Exactly!  So, DJI if your reading this.  A suggestion....please make a single version of DJI Assistant 2 that can support all your quads.  We shouldn't have to install multiple versions of DJI Assistant. Many of us have multiple DJI products.  

Thank you.  
2018-10-5
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>

Dalford Posted at 2018-10-5 07:12
What exactly does refresh do?  Does it just reload the firmware again?

I believe so, which has the potential to overwrite any files which are, or may have become corrupted and might be causing problems. And factory refresh I believe would reset all the variable that have been set by user or system within the aircraft.
2018-10-5
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

So I have just updated to .500, I didn’t use assistant nor did I need to use assistant, in all my time updating FW only once was I forced to use assistant, always managed with no problems to update through dji go4 app, and this was the same with .500 .

I tested today, so at first when I launched I noticed video feed slightly glitchy, and kept getting strong interference warning, so switched off Bluetooth in airplane mode and the same problem , flew for about 50% battery, decided to come in and land to check everything was ok, and when landing I noticed I had forgot to lower one of the legs, so just hand caught, dropped leg and took off again, video latency was perfect warnings gone, so just be careful to check legs are down when flying.

So I tried distance, no issues, sport mode no issues, tripod, active track, tap fly all modes , POI and all quick shot modes and had no issues, I tried hovering at approx 40 metres height in 15mph winds and Mavic Air remained very stable, both locked in sport and P mode. RTH with no issues, all sensors OA all working as they should, APAS although I have used this very little I thought I noticed that it was now a bit more responsive where before it may just stop, nw it seemed to make a bigger effort to move around the object.

New option to change SS works as it should and similar to Mavic Pro . Photos and video no change, Certainly for me .500 is working well as per test . There were some problems with .300 as we can read on the forum and some of these continued with .400 and some more like motor current warning, I didn’t have any of these problems with exception of motor current, so fo me FW .500 is an improvement on all other FW’s for Mavic Air.
2018-10-5
Use props
AlphaFlightNW
lvl.4
Flight distance : 784265 ft
  • >>>
United States

For the most part, .500 is better. Video lag was a issue from time to time while range was almost never an issue in the past. The only thing I notice is that the yaw twitch is still existing in this update as well as some anomalies in sport mode.
2018-10-5
Use props
JerryS
lvl.2
Flight distance : 222897 ft
Maldives

I'm still waiting for the poll to finish.
2018-10-5
Use props
DirkGerrit
lvl.4
Flight distance : 276424 ft

First flights today, no problems. Came from .300. Also no problems with that version. Love my Mavic Air.
2018-10-7
Use props
TroutboyNZ
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1726486 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

Solid for me, went 2100m yesterday no issues at all, full signal all the way, could've easily gone 3000m+. But for some reason underway Air kept turning to right a lot, easy to counteract with sticks, will try to calibrate the RC, not sure why it would jump out though from a perfectly fine for me .400. No lag at all at anytime and on CE.
2018-10-7
Use props
ulfw
lvl.4
Flight distance : 281381 ft
Hong Kong

Too little too late. I haven't flown my DJI drone in three months and frankly I started to lose interest now. Sad but true.
2018-10-8
Use props
Charissa
Second Officer
Flight distance : 689334 ft
South Africa

I had a problem with the gimbal that would not hold position when taking images or videos. Re centred continuously, would not take more than one image at a time, eg, AEB, took one, recentred and then took the other two.
After a gimbal calibration, the image problem is gone.  Can compose and do HDR, and AEB and interval shots.

Video, still re centre as soon as I start flying, or when I tilt the gimbal up, while video is recording, it will automatically recentre after only a few seconds.
Will do a refresh again, maybe calibrate everything again, as it helped for the photos.
Overall, a huge improvement over the previous firmware for me.
2018-10-8
Use props
dzony
lvl.2
Flight distance : 426850 ft

I've notived the following improvements:

- Active track more stable
- Camera angles keeps camera view off props
- APAS speed improved to some 25kmh (instead of some 13 kmh)

The general feel for all functions I have tested was that there was much less corrections needed after commands were given in any of the automatic functions i.e. the FW got much more stable for video. Also it got a little more boring.

The nominal speeds seem to be limited now downwind as well (technically that is not an improvement in my books), though the APAS is much faster.
2018-10-8
Use props
Tomsbird
lvl.3
Flight distance : 633901 ft
Canada

.400 left me with the widely reported random "quick yaw" to the left after take off as well as continued slow yaw to the left.  No issues with range or video with .400 that I could tell.
Tested .500 yesterday; first 3 flights were without issues although it took about 5 attempts to get a good compass calibration.  When I final got a successful compass calibration, I had no more compass errors on any subsequent flights.  At this point I'm thinking .500 was an improvement, until I changed locations.  At the new location I got the rapid yaw movement on take off and then the slow yaw to the left so it would seem that .500 has not solved this problem for me.  I also saw a post on this forum where it hadn't solved the yaw issue for others as well.  So it would seem that the yaw issues still prevail with the new FW.  To some, this may not seem to be a big deal, it is random and unpredictable which, for me, is a big deal!  Anytime you have the drone moving, without stick commands, it's a safety issue!
Before someone asks.  I've done numerous calibrations, factory resets and FW Refreshes.  I'm running iOS12 on a iPhone 8 plus with latest app, and RC and AC FW on my mavic air.
I'm aware that the release notes mention nothing about correcting the yaw issue, either DJI doesn't see this as an issue or maybe it will be fixed in the next FW release.  Hope we don't have to wait another 5 months.
2018-10-8
Use props
JerryS
lvl.2
Maldives

waiting 2 more days to see the poll result
2018-10-8
Use props
djiuser_xLE6O03jcrPU
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1198346 ft
Romania

Tomsbird Posted at 2018-10-8 11:15
.400 left me with the widely reported random "quick yaw" to the left after take off as well as continued slow yaw to the left.  No issues with range or video with .400 that I could tell.
Tested .500 yesterday; first 3 flights were without issues although it took about 5 attempts to get a good compass calibration.  When I final got a successful compass calibration, I had no more compass errors on any subsequent flights.  At this point I'm thinking .500 was an improvement, until I changed locations.  At the new location I got the rapid yaw movement on take off and then the slow yaw to the left so it would seem that .500 has not solved this problem for me.  I also saw a post on this forum where it hadn't solved the yaw issue for others as well.  So it would seem that the yaw issues still prevail with the new FW.  To some, this may not seem to be a big deal, it is random and unpredictable which, for me, is a big deal!  Anytime you have the drone moving, without stick commands, it's a safety issue!
Before someone asks.  I've done numerous calibrations, factory resets and FW Refreshes.  I'm running iOS12 on a iPhone 8 plus with latest app, and RC and AC FW on my mavic air.

I have also the same problems with yaw after .500
2018-10-8
Use props
AIister
lvl.4
Flight distance : 626647 ft
Canada

im happy on 200 , gonna take a lot to get me to mess it up
2018-10-9
Use props
Ranini
lvl.4
Flight distance : 743287 ft
Mauritius

Love last update, tested several bug fixed and also love the function to be able to control camera function on the remote ! love it next update if implement tracking 2.0 on MA this would be awesome
2018-10-9
Use props
zguy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 243796 ft
United States

djiuser_xLE6O03jcrPU Posted at 2018-10-8 22:24
I have also the same problems with yaw after .500

As I posted in another thread:

Installed 0.500 yesterday and still experiencing uncomanded yaw.  Trying to fly straight forward at the begining of flight is impossible.  Seems to get better towards the middle/end of the flight.
2018-10-9
Use props
N3CAL
lvl.2
Flight distance : 20778 ft
United States

KlooGee Posted at 2018-10-4 15:09
Once you are at the 0500 version, you can downgrade to 0400, but you can't go lower than that.  This is what I see in Assistant 2:

[view_image]

You can dowgrade the drone to .400 but you cant downgrade the remote controller from .0200 back to .0100    I've tried but DJI assistant2 wont recognize the controller.  I spent an hour online with DJI chat only to be told the controller and assistant 2 are not compatible.

2018-10-9
Use props
Tomsbird
lvl.3
Flight distance : 633901 ft
Canada

zguy Posted at 2018-10-9 04:40
As I posted in another thread:

What's interesting is that I don't experience the uncommand yaw when flying inside without GPS so it makes me wonder is the issue is related to a GPS/Compass conflict.  Anyway, it all started with .400 so I'm convinced it's a FW issue that hasn't been solved yet.  Also, it's weird that it is random, some flights no issues at all, even when all are started from the same location.
2018-10-9
Use props
InvisibleName 7
lvl.4
Flight distance : 795653 ft

Tomsbird Posted at 2018-10-9 08:15
What's interesting is that I don't experience the uncommand yaw when flying inside without GPS so it makes me wonder is the issue is related to a GPS/Compass conflict.  Anyway, it all started with .400 so I'm convinced it's a FW issue that hasn't been solved yet.  Also, it's weird that it is random, some flights no issues at all, even when all are started from the same location.

Also random in who suffers with this problem! Loads of us appear not to!
2018-10-9
Use props
Bluehook
lvl.4
Flight distance : 790814 ft
United States

I updated to 0500 and flew from 97 percent battery down to land at 16 percent, no issues whatsoever.

I just zipped around my neighbor at around 135 feet and didn't notice any significant difference.  When I first took off, I did my "test box" - (forward, backwards, left, right. yaw) and noticed that the bird was very stable.  It seemed like the last few flights with the 0400, I would get some minor drift to the right - but that could have been a breeze as it was barely noticeable.  This is a highly congested area with lots of interference so my range has never been good in this exact spot, however, I did notice a slight increase in distance before breaking-up/disconnecting.  But it was negligible, I'm talking maybe another 100 feet or so.

I didn't take any pictures or shoot any video and used none of the features or intelligent flight modes.

So, I would change my vote from a 6 to a one -- and it should be noted that I have never had any issues with any of the FW in the past.

2018-10-9
Use props
JerryS
lvl.2
Maldives

let's hope for the best. i'm gonna update and test it today! .400 i have no issue. so lets hope it will be better. update started. finger crossed!
2018-10-9
Use props
j0nGray
lvl.3
Flight distance : 60138 ft
United Kingdom

Upgraded the other night, haven't had a chance to test it. Went straight from 0.300 to 0.500. Updated remote and drone through the DJI App and iPhone 6s. No issues updating. Re-calibrated everything after it was finished.

Only thing I did notice that was a bit odd was just testing out the custom button and gimbal wheel to change the shutter speed, resulted in no image transmission when going to a longer shutter speed. Moving it back to a faster shutter speed brought the image transmission back with no issue. The remote was about 2 feet away from the drone.
2018-10-10
Use props
Charissa
Second Officer
South Africa

j0nGray Posted at 2018-10-10 01:58
Upgraded the other night, haven't had a chance to test it. Went straight from 0.300 to 0.500. Updated remote and drone through the DJI App and iPhone 6s. No issues updating. Re-calibrated everything after it was finished.

Only thing I did notice that was a bit odd was just testing out the custom button and gimbal wheel to change the shutter speed, resulted in no image transmission when going to a longer shutter speed. Moving it back to a faster shutter speed brought the image transmission back with no issue. The remote was about 2 feet away from the drone.

Could the no image transmission be that you just don,t see the image, black, because your ss speed is now to fast, to capture low light images? It happens when I test it inside, in a darker area. You need a slow ss or high ISO to get the image to show up, otherwise it is under exposed, and thus black screen.

Let us know if it was the problem or not.
2018-10-10
Use props
j0nGray
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Charissa Posted at 2018-10-10 03:07
Could the no image transmission be that you just don,t see the image, black, because your ss speed is now to fast, to capture low light images? It happens when I test it inside, in a darker area. You need a slow ss or high ISO to get the image to show up, otherwise it is under exposed, and thus black screen.

Let us know if it was the problem or not.

No, when it was set to auto the shutter speed was set to say 1/4 and I could see the image. When I then went for a  longer shutter (over exposing the image, using the new function) to say 4 seconds just resulted in the image transmission error that came up. Using the new function to get back to a faster shutter speed to say 1/500 would have given it a black image which this did produce, but it got rid of the error, but I could still see what was in front of the drones camera on screen despite it being under exposed. When the image transmission error came on it removed the view of what the drone could see, almost as if it had disconnected. I'll run another test when I can (probably at the weekend).

2018-10-10
Use props
j0nGray
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Just doing a quick google search on this found quite a few people saying that If you face “no image transmission signal” issue or lagging between your remote and your drone. Simply Turn off your drone and remove memory card from your drone, then format your memory card.

Youtube video suggested to turn drone off, remove SD card, turn drone back on, insert SD card (chances are it will say "SD Card not recognised") format the SD card and that should sort the image transmission error out. I'll try that tonight and run the same test see if it occurs again.
2018-10-10
Use props
Charissa
Second Officer
South Africa

j0nGray Posted at 2018-10-10 03:34
Just doing a quick google search on this found quite a few people saying that If you face “no image transmission signal” issue or lagging between your remote and your drone. Simply Turn off your drone and remove memory card from your drone, then format your memory card.

Youtube video suggested to turn drone off, remove SD card, turn drone back on, insert SD card (chances are it will say "SD Card not recognised") format the SD card and that should sort the image transmission error out. I'll try that tonight and run the same test see if it occurs again.

Hope you get sorted.
2018-10-10
Use props
j0nGray
lvl.3

This is interesting, would be curious to know what others thought on the below...

I’ve just checked the image transmission issue I’ve been having and it seems to be only when in manual video mode. If you use the custom button + gimbal wheel and decrease the exposure to 8 seconds that’s when it occurs.

However, if you go to manually change the shutter speed by tapping the phone you’ll notice that video mode doesn’t give you the option to set a shutter speed of 8 seconds.

Why would it? Of course no one would want to have a shutter speed of 8 seconds in video on a drone (correct me if I’m wrong). I believe this custom button + gimbal wheel should only match the max / less shutter speed value you can manually select from tapping on the device depending on if you’re in photo or video mode.

With the miss matching values it’s like the drone is having a hard time to cope.

2018-10-10
Use props
TroutboyNZ
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1726486 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

j0nGray Posted at 2018-10-10 03:34
Just doing a quick google search on this found quite a few people saying that If you face “no image transmission signal” issue or lagging between your remote and your drone. Simply Turn off your drone and remove memory card from your drone, then format your memory card.

Youtube video suggested to turn drone off, remove SD card, turn drone back on, insert SD card (chances are it will say "SD Card not recognised") format the SD card and that should sort the image transmission error out. I'll try that tonight and run the same test see if it occurs again.

Your SD card should be formatted in the drone before EVERY flight (once you've downloaded footage from previous flights of course) as a procedure anyway, a LOT of people don't do this as a part of normal flight.
2018-10-10
Use props
lifeofpiluckan
lvl.4
Flight distance : 131309 ft
South Africa

I just updated today and my Mavic Air keeps losing connection with the remote controller - went up to 120m and got about 90m away before the first disconnection.  Stopped forward flight and tried bringing the Air back home but no response.  Pressed the return to home button and no initial response and then about 30 to 45 seconds later the Air began to return.  Really scary 3 minutes or so of flying...
2018-10-16
Use props
tokyopete
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1955154 ft
United States

Updated to the new fw and haven't had any issues so far.
2018-10-16
Use props
Nick1
lvl.2
Flight distance : 248258 ft
United States

Yes it was
2018-10-16
Use props
sandihex23
lvl.1
Flight distance : 379534 ft
Indonesia

better than FW.400, increase accuracy geotag
2018-10-16
Use props
HendrikJB
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2132792 ft
South Africa

Very interesting.
2018-10-16
Use props
InvisibleName 7
lvl.4
Flight distance : 795653 ft

Well, not for me it wasn’t!
2018-10-16
Use props
JerryS
lvl.2
Maldives

so final answer is its the best yet yah!
2018-10-17
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules