Mavic 2 versions: International vs UK vs China(CN)
16545 15 2018-10-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
frank320
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1440459 ft
Singapore

It was brought to my attention when purchasing DJI Mavic 2 Pro/Zoom, one has to be aware of the various versions between International/UK/US/China(CN). Apparently, the CN versions are cheaper, but have a slightly shorter range. Other than differences for warranty claims and where once has to send the drone for warranty work, there could be hardware/software related differences between the various versions.
I was originally under the impression that all Mavic 2 versions have the same hardware/software, with your flight location determining the hardware/software configuration, and hence performance and range. Could this be true that some versions are just limited in range permanently due to hard-coded differences?
https://www.facebook.com/groups/DjiMavicSingapore/permalink/2040118906300031/

Comments in above link is True or BS? Anyone have more information?

Thanks and much appreciated.

2018-10-4
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, Thanks for your inquiry. We will check this scenario with our engineers for further clarification. Thank you for the support.
2018-10-4
Use props
frank320
lvl.3
Singapore

Thanks Tony. Do let us know when you find out.
If there are indeed version differences, can we also know which version(US/UK/International/CN) has the longest range and least restrictive hardware/software configurations?
I travel a lot and it would help to know which version I should get in order to obtain the best performance with the least restrictions.
2018-10-4
Use props
Eric13
Second Officer
Flight distance : 13982031 ft
  • >>>

frank320 Posted at 2018-10-4 11:04
Thanks Tony. Do let us know when you find out.
If there are indeed version differences, can we also know which version(US/UK/International/CN) has the longest range and least restrictive hardware/software configurations?
I travel a lot and it would help to know which version I should get in order to obtain the best performance with the least restrictions.

That's an interesting find.
I checked my label and my RCs CMIT ID ends with 3189.
So I guess I don't have the 'cheap' version ;-)

2018-10-4
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

So I've seen many threads and vids showing people how to 'hack' their CE devices to become FCC and how this improves the range of the drone. Not something I have any need to do but if the drone is hard coded how is this possible? I always recommend buying the drone from within the country you live as their is no universal, international DJI warranty as they are done by region: buy it in China and live in the UK and you'll need to ship the drone back to China if anything goes wrong.
2018-10-4
Use props
Ridg
Second Officer
Flight distance : 232306 ft
United Kingdom

So an International version being used in China will have a shorter range (than in the US) as the laws in china are different, as such the transmission power is reduced for the local area (assuming you switch the mode when prompted), the same will be true for a Chinese drone in America (it will switch to FCC mode).

Essentially the range should be dictated by the country you're in e.g. drones starts up, checks where it is and adjusts the transmitter strength accordingly.  the MA / Spark "hack" revolves around the drone asking you if you want to switch modes first (when a different area is detected) so if you start it in "America" it switches to FCC mode and then you can prevent it from switching back but dismissing the switch dialogue.  I can't comment on the MP / 2 / Zoom

Warranty should be handled by the centre for where the drone was bought, not the market it was intended for e.g. if you legitimately import it.  If you go to China and bring one back then it would be dealt with the Chinese centre.

Now in terms of quality, this can vary from market to market and sometimes the reason why grey imports are cheaper e.g. the QA is less strict for one market

Regarding software, as I understand the Chinese version will give you a slightly different version of the GO app, this allows you to use the Chinese map projection (essentially this should just mean your google earth doesn't quite line up properly).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Re ... aphic_data_in_China

2018-10-5
Use props
rarevfx_official
lvl.4
Flight distance : 387562 ft
Germany

A CW Posted at 2018-10-4 23:56
So I've seen many threads and vids showing people how to 'hack' their CE devices to become FCC and how this improves the range of the drone. Not something I have any need to do but if the drone is hard coded how is this possible? I always recommend buying the drone from within the country you live as their is no universal, international DJI warranty as they are done by region: buy it in China and live in the UK and you'll need to ship the drone back to China if anything goes wrong.

the "hack" was only in app for drones like the Spark and the Mavic Air (with Wifi only transmission and limited range). Since the drone was controlled via wifi, the hack tricked the app and said its in a US-"FCC"-Location so the App send this to the RC and the RC increases range due to the app saying it should use FCC.
Won't work with OccuSync but you also dont need it. It only was made because the spark is limited to 300-500m in CE.
2018-10-5
Use props
rarevfx_official
lvl.4
Flight distance : 387562 ft
Germany

good to know but don't really get it. Yes there are different regulation in every country or state - thats why we have CE in europe and america is praised with FCC. But whats the problem? I ordered from DJI.com over "DJI Europe GmbH" and got an European Version (label says it on the side). Depending from where you are youll get the version that fits and is allowed in your location. It only affects you if you buy from black markets, gray imports or outside your country (which include massive import taxes).
2018-10-5
Use props
frank320
lvl.3
Singapore

rarevfx_official Posted at 2018-10-5 01:12
good to know but don't really get it. Yes there are different regulation in every country or state - thats why we have CE in europe and america is praised with FCC. But whats the problem? I ordered from DJI.com over "DJI Europe GmbH" and got an European Version (label says it on the side). Depending from where you are youll get the version that fits and is allowed in your location. It only affects you if you buy from black markets, gray imports or outside your country (which include massive import taxes).

It's not about gray market. I travel a lot and have the option to buy any version (UK/US/International/CN) from authorized DJI dealer. My question is simple: Are there permanent differences between the versions that do not resolve themselves even when one flies in a less restrictive region?

I had thought that all Mavic 2 versions (UK/US/International/CN)  are the same, and that your GPS flight location will resolve into the hardware/software configuration appropriate for that location and give you the maximum advertised range when possible. But if certain versions, like the CN or UK versions will never resolve into a US/FCC version, and be always stunted in terms of range, then I will make it an effort to pick up a US version the next time I am there.

I am paying almost the same price anyways, so why get a physically range stunted (UK/CN) Mavic 2 if these physical permanent hardware/software differences are true?

2018-10-5
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

rarevfx_official Posted at 2018-10-5 01:07
the "hack" was only in app for drones like the Spark and the Mavic Air (with Wifi only transmission and limited range). Since the drone was controlled via wifi, the hack tricked the app and said its in a US-"FCC"-Location so the App send this to the RC and the RC increases range due to the app saying it should use FCC.
Won't work with OccuSync but you also dont need it. It only was made because the spark is limited to 300-500m in CE.

Good to know - thanks for the info - not something I've ever done but read that there was a way around it - never knew the RF transmission type impacted on it but should have guessed.  
2018-10-5
Use props
Ridg
Second Officer
Flight distance : 232306 ft
United Kingdom

frank320 Posted at 2018-10-5 01:53
It's not about gray market. I travel a lot and have the option to buy any version (UK/US/International/CN) from authorized DJI dealer. My question is simple: Are there permanent differences between the versions that do not resolve themselves even when one flies in a less restrictive region?

I had thought that all Mavic 2 versions (UK/US/International/CN)  are the same, and that your GPS flight location will resolve into the hardware/software configuration appropriate for that location and give you the maximum advertised range when possible. But if certain versions, like the CN or UK versions will never resolve into a US/FCC version, and be always stunted in terms of range, then I will make it an effort to pick up a US version the next time I am there.

read my post above
2018-10-5
Use props
Corvus monedula
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3550594 ft
Poland

The different versions might just be diferenciated by a type of mains lead included.
2018-10-5
Use props
fans7e5178d6
lvl.2
Flight distance : 6217923 ft
United States

Sorry. See post below, thanks..

2018-12-17
Use props
Mreddog
lvl.2
United States

So I bought a Mavic 2 Zoom through GearBest website, it is a Chinese  version.   The box is marked China,  the tag on back of remote is all  Chinese printing,  so is the battery tray and instructions booklets.
  So will this unit  have less range if used in the USA??  compered to a USA version??
2018-12-17
Use props
Jakob Schmidt Rasmussen
lvl.1

Denmark

Weird thread some admin says he will reply back but nothing.?   
and getting a straight answer is a no mans task.
Is you limited if you pick up a Chinese version from the likes of China-wholesalers like GB to be used in fx norther EU like Denmark?
Are not familiar with this forum. it was down to a search on Google that let me here, so if its been handle to the moon and back, please set the thread straight.
2019-1-17
Use props
Mreddog
lvl.2
United States

My Chinese unit-Mavic 2 Zoom above seems to fly to USA FCC standard, comparing it to my 2nd USA purchased version, They both get the same range. I hope this helps others.
2019-10-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules