iPad Mini 2 vs iPad Mini 4 to fly Mavic Pro
6437 18 2018-10-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Drone34
lvl.4
Flight distance : 84091 ft
United States

I currently use an IPad Mini 2, wifi/cellular, 16GB, A7 chipset.  Works well and I really like the extra screen real estate vs. using my IPhone 8+.  But DJI has now removed the Mini 2 from the official list of approved tablets.  The Mini 4 has a better screen for viewing in the sun, an A8 chipset, but Apple does not appear to have any interest in updating the Mini 4.

So my question is, given the Mini 2 is no longer on the list of approved tablets, the constant IOS updates and no updates to the chipset in horizon for the Mini 4, is it worth updating to a Mini 4 anyway, and if so how much memory would you get if pretty much dedicated to drone flying.  DJI Go 4 takes about 3-4 GB, and I download and store my photos and videos on a MacBook Pro pretty much right after capturing them vs having them cached to the tablet.  Or should I just stick with the Mini 2?  The Mini 4 with wifi/cellular (I know I want the cellular for the GPS and the ability to reset the home point if I move) and 128GB is about $529 new.  A little cheaper refurbished.  My Iphone 8+ is my work lifeline so it has a case and a protective screen glass.  Removing the case is a pain and the protective glass is dicey sliding in the RC arms, and the screen real estate is much smaller, so not interested in just using the IPhone.

Any advice welcome.
2018-10-4
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi thanks for reaching DJI Forum. We do appreciate bringing this query to us. Yes, it is worth updating to the Mini 4 since it was tested by our engineers.
2018-10-5
Use props
Drone Aerial Expediters
lvl.4
Flight distance : 721913 ft
  • >>>
United States

I use on my Mavic Pro a Ipad 4 min 128gb and it works awesome!!
2018-10-5
Use props
HyLenz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1848182 ft
United States

I went from Mini 2 16GB to Mini 4 128GB last year. The 4 (no wifi) was on sale at Best Buy for $299 around last December. It is worth upgrading, better CPU, its a little lighter and thinner and batteries last longer in my experience. Still using it today with M2P and MP.
2018-10-5
Use props
Drone34
lvl.4
United States

HyLenz Posted at 2018-10-5 04:23
I went from Mini 2 16GB to Mini 4 128GB last year. The 4 (no wifi) was on sale at Best Buy for $299 around last December. It is worth upgrading, better CPU, its a little lighter and thinner and batteries last longer in my experience. Still using it today with M2P and MP.

I think you meant no cellular/GPS vs no wifi?  I think they all have wifi.  And I do want the cellular/GPS to be able to relocate the home point when I move with the RC.  But other than the cost, it seems to make sense to upgrade, although I do worry that at some point the IOS operating system upgrades will overwhelm the A8 chipset, which Apple seems to have no interest in upgrading, or the DJI Go 4 updates will have the same effect which seems to be the reason that the iPad mini 2, which used to be on the DJI approved list, is no longer on the approved list.  That's my conundrum.
2018-10-5
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>

As a right now I'll still using my Mini 2 with My MP and Firmware 0.500 and iOS 12 with no issues

I not planning to upgrade until I can't use my mini 2.
2018-10-5
Use props
Drone34
lvl.4
United States

Woe Posted at 2018-10-5 05:42
As a right now I'll still using my Mini 2 with My MP and Firmware 0.500 and iOS 12 with no issues

Same here, no issues, but just waiting for shoe to drop with an IOS update or a DJI Go4 update that just doesn't play nice with the A8 chipset in the Mini 2, most likely when I need it most.  Admins:  Do you know why the Mini 2, which was on the approved list, is no longer on the approved list?
2018-10-5
Use props
B1houdini
Second Officer
Flight distance : 927927 ft
United States

I am using the iPad mini 4 ,128Gb ,  wi-fi only and it is dedicated just for my MP. It was the perfect choice for me and was a perfect fit for the controller. The display is perfect and worked well in bright sun.
Never had an issue with it. The only thing I added to the iPad was a protective screen over the glass which didn't affect how it fit in the controller.
Good luck with your choice.
2018-10-5
Use props
Drone34
lvl.4
United States

B1houdini Posted at 2018-10-5 08:36
I am using the iPad mini 4 ,128Gb ,  wi-fi only and it is dedicated just for my MP. It was the perfect choice for me and was a perfect fit for the controller. The display is perfect and worked well in bright sun.
Never had an issue with it. The only thing I added to the iPad was a protective screen over the glass which didn't affect how it fit in the controller.
Good luck with your choice.

In an ideal world, Apple would revamp the Mini 4 with an A10 chipset and hold the price (wishful thinking, I know) and I would switch to the Mini 4 in a heartbeat, knowing it would be some time before IOS updates or DJI Go 4 updates would make it obsolete.  I completely agree that the size of the Mini is perfect for flying.
2018-10-5
Use props
Woe
Captain
  • >>>

Drone34 Posted at 2018-10-5 07:37
Same here, no issues, but just waiting for shoe to drop with an IOS update or a DJI Go4 update that just doesn't play nice with the A8 chipset in the Mini 2, most likely when I need it most.  Admins:  Do you know why the Mini 2, which was on the approved list, is no longer on the approved list?

I know what you mean, I get nervous with every update.
Just like B1houdini my IPad is dedicated for my MP.
I only update when I know I'm not flying for a day or two so if it doesn't work, I can
go buy another if needed.
2018-10-5
Use props
HH1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 73114 ft
United States

Drone Aerial Expediters Posted at 2018-10-5 04:09
I use on my Mavic Pro a Ipad 4 min 128gb and it works awesome!!

Drone Aerial, how did you get the GO4 to the mini4?  I just got the mini4 128GB
2019-2-19
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Second Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

HH1 Posted at 2-19 14:07
Drone Aerial, how did you get the GO4 to the mini4?  I just got the mini4 128GB

As one who uses the Mini-4, I'll try to help you but what do you mean how do you get Go4 to the mini4?  If you've never had it on the pad before, use the App Store to download it.  If you already have an earlier version, it should tell you that you need to upgrade it and allow you to do so.

Of course, you must have internet access on the iPad to download it.  If you don't have the cellular data package on it (like me), you'll just need to have WiFi access to it to download the program.  You'll probably need to have access to register the software also.  You do not have to have access to fly, but it helps.  I use my iPhone's hotspot.  That way, I have an active map while flying.
2019-2-23
Use props
ShadyDealer
lvl.4
Flight distance : 983428 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

i did use a iPad mini 2 briefly and had no issue, it was only brief as no sooner did I purchase one an offer became available for a iPad mini 4 and I subsequently bought one to use instead. It was faster to use and I'm sure the extra bump in spec would have helped. Talk of the mini 4 being close to obsoletion I'm glad its served a purpose for as long as it has. Im sure the Mini 2 now would be struggling to cope with the newer GO4 versions/New hardware.
2019-2-23
Use props
HH1
lvl.4
United States

Gary and Shady, thanks for the comments, I did get GO 4 from the Apple Store, and except for me hitting the wrong keys, everything went smoothly, they are working very well together.  So well I am going to calibrate the compass today or tomorrow, already did backyard flying and it was good.  Thanks again for your help.
2019-2-23
Use props
HH1
lvl.4
United States

Woe Posted at 2018-10-5 05:42

Good point Woe
2019-2-23
Use props
Woe
Captain
  • >>>
United States

It's still working and now works with the zoom.
2019-2-23
Use props
Vayreda
lvl.3
Flight distance : 30190 ft

HyLenz Posted at 2018-10-5 04:23
I went from Mini 2 16GB to Mini 4 128GB last year. The 4 (no wifi) was on sale at Best Buy for $299 around last December. It is worth upgrading, better CPU, its a little lighter and thinner and batteries last longer in my experience. Still using it today with M2P and MP.

Love your pic (King Crimson)
2019-2-24
Use props
King.Taco
lvl.2
Flight distance : 523402 ft
United States

I'm currently using my google pixel 2 phone and it works great, but the screen is so small that I feel I'm missing out on photos from the sky because I over look things.

So my question is in regards to an iPad Mini 4.  I see two options, with the cellular and without.  Does the iPad Mini need to have the cellular option installed in order to use GPS for setting waypoints for the Mavic 2 Zoom?  Or can I just get just a regular iPad Mini 4 and GPS is already built into the drone?

I'm assuming since it's plugged into my phone the drone is using my phones GPS.

2019-4-15
Use props
King.Taco
lvl.2
Flight distance : 523402 ft
United States

I did some more reading.  It appears (according to other forums) that I should get the cellular version because I don't need to open another cellular contract to use the built in GPS.  Or I can get a cheaper one without cellular and use my iphone as a mobile hotspot.

What are the advantages and disadvantages of doing it one way or the other?
2019-4-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules