DJI GO app/IOS12 and Premiere bug - corrupted codec
2258 5 2018-10-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Tobtoh
lvl.1
Australia

I've discovered a repeatable bug in the latest version of the DJI Go app (on IOS12).

Recorded footage using DJI app (Iphone X/IOS12) and downloaded to my Mac (running OSX High Sierra, and later Mojave). Using VLC, the video plays fine. However, when imported into Adobe Premiere CC, the video is unusable as it repeats itself at certain points in the footage. If you pause the footage at any point during playback, the preview window jumps back to the first frame. Pressing play again sometimes makes it resume from where you left off, but other times it will play from the start of the footage.

This is a repeatable bug and it's definitely a result of the DJI Go app because I tested the following:

• the problem only occured after I upgraded to IOS12
  • I recorded footage using the native iphone X camera app and this footage doesn't have the skip/jump issue
  • I tested the issue on both OSX High Sierra and Mojave - issues occured on both OSes with footage from the DJI Go app, and didn't occur for either OS when using native camera footage.
  • This person on reddit has experienced the same problem - and they are using iphone 8 - so it's not an iphone issue. https://www.reddit.com/r/premier ... app_is_pretty_much/

Finally, the workaround to get useable footage is to open the DJI Go footage in Quicktime and then export as a .mov file. The .mov file then works fine in Premiere without any skips and jumps.

That to me says the problem is definitely caused by the DJI App messing up the encoding of the video - either a bug with the app itself or an incompatibility with IOS12.

Has anyone else experienced this? Hopefully DJI can release a fix soon.

2018-10-5
Use props
WebParrot
First Officer
Flight distance : 23625 ft
  • >>>
United States

Mr. T.... Thanks for all the background describing the problem and your workaround.  Very helpful.   

First questions, which OSMO are you using and what firmware is in play?  Next -not so much a questions, but a comparison.  I'm using the original Osmo, with FW v.  1.11.2.70 and DaVinci Resolve for editing.  I've not experienced the issue you describe.  ( I am on Mojave, iOS 12 as well).  I realize this may not help you, but if the Admin's respond it may help them focus on the issue.
2018-10-6
Use props
Tobtoh
lvl.1
United States

WebParrot Posted at 2018-10-6 13:32
Mr. T.... Thanks for all the background describing the problem and your workaround.  Very helpful.   

First questions, which OSMO are you using and what firmware is in play?  Next -not so much a questions, but a comparison.  I'm using the original Osmo, with FW v.  1.11.2.70 and DaVinci Resolve for editing.  I've not experienced the issue you describe.  ( I am on Mojave, iOS 12 as well).  I realize this may not help you, but if the Admin's respond it may help them focus on the issue.

Haha thanks WP! I trited to be thorough in my details to help with the debugging and forgot two of the most basic details - thanks for the reminder

I'm using the OSMO 2 and the details under the 'version' info in the DJI Go app are:

Firmware version: 2.1.0.20
App : 02  3.1.42 (2932)
Gimbal : 04   02.00.00.07 00.00.00.13
Handset   02.00.00.04 02.00.00.03
2018-10-6
Use props
WebParrot
First Officer
Flight distance : 23625 ft
  • >>>
United States

Tobtoh Posted at 2018-10-6 15:08
Haha thanks WP! I trited to be thorough in my details to help with the debugging and forgot two of the most basic details - thanks for the reminder

I'm using the OSMO 2 and the details under the 'version' info in the DJI Go app are:

yep... I'm no help to you !! My firmware version is well back from yours (old Osmo, different product), so there's little-to-nothing for me to offer.  FWIW, I think you best bet is to start a Support Chat session and see if there's a possibility of a Case # getting assigned.  Back in the early days of my new Mavic I use that support and eventually got a phone call to resolve a conflict.  In spite of what you might read here, DJI can be of help.  Just be courteous, factual and persistent.  :-)  [BTW, you can edit your original post to add the extra detail and add focus to someone else's reply.]
2018-10-7
Use props
fans74dcd0ac
lvl.1
  • >>>

I am experiencing the exact same issue as you described. DJI Osmo 2, iphone X and Premiere Pro. All footage coming out of DJI Go app repeats itself as you described. Native camera app footage from iphone works just fine.
2018-10-8
Use props
fans521c2b1d
New
United States

I navigated here hoping to find a solution to the exact same problem. I’ve had my Mobile 2 for a few days and can’t use the footage unless I use Filmic Pro or IPhone app.

I’ll keep searching
2018-12-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules