help needed to take off lens
1144 8 2018-10-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Jeetley
lvl.4
Flight distance : 123944 ft
United Kingdom

hi folks..i'm new to mavics..but i just bought a zoom..after my first flight yesterday i was startled to see how washed out and incredibly bright the camera was..i upped the shutter speed to 640 and that did the trick..so after my usual tutorial vid search on youtube i learnt this is normal and you need some filters to correct the light balance.so luckily for me i bought the dji filters when i orderd the drone..but my problem is i cant get the original lens off it is on so tight..i'm a pretty strong chap but no matter how i try it just wont come off. the thought of using a grip tool (pliers etc) make me shudder..
any advice on how to remove that lens would be gratefully recieved

Thanks
Brian
2018-10-5
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Thank you for reaching DJI forum. You can use rubber band or rubber gloves to unscrew it. Please try to be gentle in removing the stock lens because it might damage the gimbal of your drone if too much pressure is  added in removing the stock lens.
2018-10-5
Use props
Jeetley
lvl.4
Flight distance : 123944 ft
United Kingdom

DJI Paladin Posted at 2018-10-5 05:36
Thank you for reaching DJI forum. You can use rubber band or rubber gloves to unscrew it. Please try to be gentle in removing the stock lens because it might damage the gimbal of your drone if too much pressure is  added in removing the stock lens.

thank you for your reply..i already tried that it did not work..i had to use grips to remove it.gripping it with my thumb and forefinger using a rubber glove did not budge it even using all my strength.
i was lucky as the original lens came of undamaged.they really are put on way too tight.
2018-10-5
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Jeetley Posted at 2018-10-5 06:49
thank you for your reply..i already tried that it did not work..i had to use grips to remove it.gripping it with my thumb and forefinger using a rubber glove did not budge it even using all my strength.
i was lucky as the original lens came of undamaged.they really are put on way too tight.

Good to hear that it came off undamaged. Please let us know if you have other concern, we're here to help.
2018-10-5
Use props
rwynant V1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4842277 ft
  • >>>
United States

Be sure to take a cleaning brush to the threads before putting on the other lens filter.

Randy
2018-10-5
Use props
WRHershey
lvl.4
Flight distance : 116043 ft
  • >>>
United States

I used a heat gun to warm up my lens and then was able to get is loose, then cleaned the threads very gently with a brass brush, a damp scotch bright pad will work also, very gently.  I say this as information, but do so at your own risk. I work in a shop and we encounter things of this nature sealed with thread lock quite often, and this is our procedure. AGAIN, AT YOUR OWN RISK, but it does work.
2018-10-5
Use props
AlphaFlightNW
lvl.4
Flight distance : 784265 ft
  • >>>
United States

Personally, I just wiggle the filter off. It sounds crazy, but without torquing the filter, twist it back and forth. It also helps to have the aircraft upside down with the camera facing upwards as this allows the best possible grip. When you install a new filter, just engage enough threads that it feels tight, but can be removed easily. I have flown my MA around for several months, replacing filters frequently and have never had an issue with not tightening it as much as the stock filter is originally.
2018-10-8
Use props
shred7
New
United States

I was also struggling to remove the lens ring and tried various recommendations (even pressure with 3 fingers, rubber band, USB cable method, etc.) and it would not budge. I found a post on another forum where several people mentioned they were able to get it off after applying slight pressure into the camera while twisting. Obviously you have to be careful and make sure you're supporting the camera/gimbal with your other fingers but after applying slight inward pressure and rotating with 3 fingers (wrapped the lens ring with a rubber band for better grip), it came right off.
2018-10-9
Use props
shred7
New
United States

*Deleted* Double Post.
2018-10-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules