Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
A lot of compass error I lost the trust in my spark .
5830 18 2018-10-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_N2mGhW99x3St
lvl.3
Flight distance : 110036 ft
Netherlands

Hi there  ,
Since may this year i own a spark bought a new one in the shop with dji care refresh .

The first spark ( i bought new ) was very great with range and connection i never had a compass error.  
I crashed it .. so i used dji care refresh within 4 working days i got a replacement . Great service!!

But now with the replacement i have really almost every flight a compass error , i lost the trust of the drone . Sometimes i must fight against a fly away . The first drone didn't work like that ..

I have calibrated a couple of times when the drone asks .

I hope you guys understand me and can help me .

Thank you
2018-10-5
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5910961 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

try again, away from every metal.
no watch on you, no phone, the RC (?) with he phone 2-3m away from the place for the compass dance.
If it still doesn't work: contact the service!
2018-10-5
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, thanks for reaching DJI Forum. We do apologize for the troubles you had recently. Kindly try to calibrate the compass to a different area. We're here to help you. Thank you.
2018-10-5
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, Sorry if you have experienced difficulty with your drone. I would recommend restoring factory defaults and refresh the firmware of your aircraft using the DJI Assistant 2. Once you've done with the application, please reboot the unit and re-calibrate the IMU and compass of your drone to see if the issue will persist. Kindly stay away of any metal object or interferences during the compass calibration. Please let us know if the issue will persist. Thank you for the support.
2018-10-5
Use props
Sidd Finch
First Officer
Flight distance : 256 ft
United States

Sometimes you can get calibration errors if you are flying in a new area where there is a lot of wifi's in the area. If you do a google search there are some free wifi traffic checkers that can tell you how many wifi's are in proximity to your phone. I use this all the time. I found out I have at least 15 to 20 wifi signals in my area so tough to fly in that. Also you can get calibration errors depending on if the aircraft has been jostled about while you are carrying the aircraft to your destination. It might make sense to try to calibrate every time you fly just to rule out if that is the issue. If you calibrate before you fly and you still have issues then it could be something's up.

Sidd
2018-10-5
Use props
JJBspark
Captain
Flight distance : 12165479 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Sidd Finch Posted at 2018-10-5 11:47
Sometimes you can get calibration errors if you are flying in a new area where there is a lot of wifi's in the area. If you do a google search there are some free wifi traffic checkers that can tell you how many wifi's are in proximity to your phone. I use this all the time. I found out I have at least 15 to 20 wifi signals in my area so tough to fly in that. Also you can get calibration errors depending on if the aircraft has been jostled about while you are carrying the aircraft to your destination. It might make sense to try to calibrate every time you fly just to rule out if that is the issue. If you calibrate before you fly and you still have issues then it could be something's up.

Sidd

I had some compass errors on my spark. After a compass calibration wich was done really really slow....OK.
Mayby give it a try. (rotate 360 slooooowwww, and again 360 slowwww....)

good luck
Cheers
JJB
2018-10-5
Use props
H. Arif - 6IX
First Officer
Flight distance : 430364 ft
Canada

Sidd Finch Posted at 2018-10-5 11:47
Sometimes you can get calibration errors if you are flying in a new area where there is a lot of wifi's in the area. If you do a google search there are some free wifi traffic checkers that can tell you how many wifi's are in proximity to your phone. I use this all the time. I found out I have at least 15 to 20 wifi signals in my area so tough to fly in that. Also you can get calibration errors depending on if the aircraft has been jostled about while you are carrying the aircraft to your destination. It might make sense to try to calibrate every time you fly just to rule out if that is the issue. If you calibrate before you fly and you still have issues then it could be something's up.

Sidd

What are the WIFI traffic checkers called, I also had a spark flyaway and IF I do get another one, I would like to use this software, thanks
2018-10-5
Use props
Sidd Finch
First Officer
Flight distance : 256 ft
United States

network analyzer and WIFI analyzer

Sidd
2018-10-5
Use props
Carmenvail
First Officer
Flight distance : 1521201 ft
United States

Can always send it back in to DJI have them take a look at it?
2018-10-5
Use props
Dronegoals
lvl.3
Netherlands

Thank you ! I'll try it . Let you know how it worked out .
What is the best way to calibrate it ? I have seen a couple of examples on the internet .
2018-10-7
Use props
JJBspark
Captain
Flight distance : 12165479 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Dronegoals Posted at 2018-10-7 01:32
Thank you ! I'll try it . Let you know how it worked out .
What is the best way to calibrate it ? I have seen a couple of examples on the internet .

Hi Dronegoals,

guess you are asking me...

What i do is

• Look for an wide open green area with for sure no metal in the ground,
  • Power up drone and put it on the ground,
  • Walk back 15 meters and select calibrate in the app,
  • Walk to the drone, pick it up and do slowly ( i mean slow! ) a turn horizontal in front of you (because you do not see the app, little more that 360. (360+90))
  • Nose down and 360 + 90 turn,
  • Put it on the ground there, walk balk to the app and see that its done + OK to fly.

Start to fly!

Never had a compass error again on my Spark.

cheers
JJB

2018-10-7
Use props
WebParrot
Captain
Flight distance : 23625 ft
  • >>>
United States

In addition to the good advice from JJBSpark (and others). Delete and re-install Go4 using this process.  If you are using an iPhone or iPad, 1-close all Apps and remove them from memory.  2-Delete Go4.  3. Clear the memory by a-starting a shutdown, b-when the Shutdown screen appears, hold down the Home button until your are returned to the home screen.  3-NOW shutdown your phone/ipad.  Restart the device, download and install Go4.  As a separate matter, don't wear any devices that may have a magnetic field.  I wear a watch with a magnetic strap clasp, and discovered it was interfering with the RC.  While that's not your issue, it just may have an unexpected influence.
2018-10-7
Use props
DeuceDriv3r
First Officer
Flight distance : 4698533 ft
United States

I have 2 sparks that flew great under .701 firmware.. upgraded both to .1000 and now having multiple issues all stemming from bad magnetometer (compass) data

the drone point 9 degrees off where it says its pointing
flying RTH the home point is barely on the screen
the aircraft will take off parallel to a reference mark and land (precision land) cocked off 9-10 degrees but show on the map that its lined up.

hover and decent are more unstable and with far greater and uneven motor noise

gimbal in sport mode does not behave correctly ... left turns at speed are mostly normal but right turns the image 'banks' like a left turn or flat then jerks into a right bank .. like a compass dip... and yes the turns are coordinated and not being slipped or skidded...

there is a thread where DJI has said they are looking into a compass issue in .1000 but I have not seen more on it...

this is an issue that lately they are ignoring more and more..

anecdotally the magnetic deviation here is almost identical to the induced yaw and compass error that I am seeing in both craft... coincidence ??
2018-10-9
Use props
Dronegoals
lvl.3
Netherlands

DJI Tony Posted at 2018-10-5 11:20
Hi, Sorry if you have experienced difficulty with your drone. I would recommend restoring factory defaults and refresh the firmware of your aircraft using the DJI Assistant 2. Once you've done with the application, please reboot the unit and re-calibrate the IMU and compass of your drone to see if the issue will persist. Kindly stay away of any metal object or interferences during the compass calibration. Please let us know if the issue will persist. Thank you for the support.

Okay i`m doing it right now . Must i re-calibrate it for sure ?
My question is if I restoring the factory settings , is all the calibratings that i have done also lost ? So the drone is brand new like out of the box . Without customer calibratings ?
I hope you understand , can`t explain it much better in english ..
2018-10-9
Use props
Steven Hawthorne
lvl.4

use an older version of the app...worked for me.
2018-10-10
Use props
Dan J Marki
New

United States

Steven Hawthorne Posted at 2018-10-10 16:58

How were you able to get older version of the go 4 app?
2019-6-20
Use props
Dan J Marki
New

United States

How did you get older version of go4
2019-6-20
Use props
Dan J Marki
New

United States

Can you pls help me rollback my version of dji go4
2019-6-22
Use props
fans90bf9331
New
Canada

Hi! I had a compass error on January 1st and my Spark crashed on the ground. I had no chance to save it, I lost control, I looked to the phone and I saw “Compass error” and when I looked again to the Spark was to late. Any suggestions? Thank you!
2020-1-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules