Overly Sensitive to H2O
971 11 2018-10-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansbcf8164c
lvl.2

Spain

Caution - The Mavic 2 Pro is overly sensitive to water.  I landed my drone on a salt water shore line when unexpectedly a very miniscule amout of water splashed on top of the drone.  Unfortunately, drips of water found its way into battery compartment and totally fried the aircraft. Smoke came out of the area of the gimbal.  I reported this event to DJI and fortunately covered by DJI Care. Get this drone slightly wet at high risk.  Other than that, fabulous results from video and photo flights. The landing was my fault but still there should be some water resistance which in this case was zero percent.
2018-10-5
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Hi, we're very sorry to hear about that mishap. Please be more careful when flying your drone near water area to avoid repeating this scenario. Please fly with caution. If there is any help needed, you can let me know or contact our support, we will do our best to help. Thank you.
2018-10-5
Use props
Hedsic
lvl.4
Flight distance : 478757 ft

I've seen them take some splashes and water balloon pretty well though.
final-image1.png
2018-10-5
Use props
fansbcf8164c
lvl.2

Spain

DJI Natalia Posted at 2018-10-5 15:27
Hi, we're very sorry to hear about that mishap. However, we really don't recommend to fly your drone near water because there's a high risk that this will damage the drone. Please fly with caution to avoid this scenario again. If there is any help needed, you can let me know or contact our support, we will do our best to help. Thank you.

There should be a strong warning on packaging to totally avoid contact with water. There is absolutely zero water resistance built into this device.
2018-10-5
Use props
fansbcf8164c
lvl.2

Spain

Hedsic Posted at 2018-10-5 15:44
I've seen them take some splashes and water balloon pretty well though.

Spraying water on drone while in flight is one scenario demonstrating aerodynamics that force water away from aircraft. In my case aircraft landed and motors shut off followed by splashes of salt water on top of craft.  Try that and unit is extremely vunerable. I immediately shut down battery then removed it only to find drone terminal area totally filled with water. I would say less than a teaspoon of water splashed on aircraft.
2018-10-5
Use props
Asainz320
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1061594 ft
  • >>>

It was the salt water. Salt water is way more conductive than fresh water. Thats why many of the 'water tests' videos we have seen go fine ,because they are using fresh water. Just a drop of salt water in the right place and it will short any circuit.
2018-10-5
Use props
Zatx
Second Officer
Flight distance : 158166 ft
United States

fansbcf8164c Posted at 2018-10-5 15:44
There should be a strong warning on packaging to totally avoid contact with water. There is absolutely zero water resistance built into this device.

I take the complete lack of WATER RESISTANT markings on the box, packing material, operator's manual and aircraft as the warning that it should not be exposed to water. /shrug
2018-10-6
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

fansbcf8164c Posted at 2018-10-5 15:44
There should be a strong warning on packaging to totally avoid contact with water. There is absolutely zero water resistance built into this device.

We really appreciate your feedback about this matter. Rest assured we will forward this suggestion to our R&D department. Thanks for your understanding and support.
2018-10-6
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Asainz320 Posted at 2018-10-5 16:23
It was the salt water. Salt water is way more conductive than fresh water. Thats why many of the 'water tests' videos we have seen go fine ,because they are using fresh water. Just a drop of salt water in the right place and it will short any circuit.

Hi, thank you for sharing that information with us. New knowledge
2018-10-6
Use props
Anthony566
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2488944 ft
United Kingdom

Have to say by default I have ALWAYS taken the position that if it DOESN'T say it is waterproof then it ISN'T   
I mean my toaster box didn't have a Don't use in water lable on it ............
2018-10-6
Use props
St-even
lvl.2
Flight distance : 114764 ft
Australia

Salt water will fry your electrics really fast, specially when combined with a high power battery. It is also very corrosive and will oxidize metal parts even if there is no current going through them.
2018-10-6
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

never ever ever expose anything electronic to salt water at all...  like at all..  if it was fresh water or rain you probably suffered minimal to no real damage... just pull battery and let it dry a few days... but salt water even after pull power, once started to corrode which is instantly on contact, it doesn't stop that fast, even once dried out, still electrical potential between things that are corroded which will cause further oxidation..

a small splash of salt water from the ocean is a death sentence to anything with power.. even properly sealed things will eventually fail because salt water has no mercy. it destroy gaskets and seals over time and eat away coatings and oxidize most metals..
2018-10-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules