Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
NFZ Pet Peeve
390 11 2018-10-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Dirty Bird
Captain
Flight distance : 6313048 ft
  • >>>

This weekend the Air Force Thunderbirds are in Baltimore performing their excellent aerial show.   They have been practicing since Thursday with shows scheduled for both Saturday & Sunday afternoons.  It's incredible to watch & a lot of fun.  Which leads to my NFZ complaint...

Since Thursday & continuing through the time of this post (12:30 am Sunday), you cannot fly your DJI drone anywhere in or around Baltimore.  Period.  I certainly understand the temporary NFZ during  practice & showtimes with a few hours cushion on either side for safety.  But a 24 hour restriction for four straight days???

To be honest, I can still fly.  My Phantoms & Mavic Pros are unlocked & do not care about the NFZ.  Unfortunately my Mavic 2 Pro is not (yet) unlocked.  Anyone in Baltimore with a stock DJI drone is grounded.  I purposefully avoided flying during the afternoon hours for the past few days as I can see the jets & did not want to put them in harms way.  But its 12:30 am & they're not flying now.   

Is this just sloppy NFZ enactment or a deliberate 24 hour, 4-day NFZ?

Screenshot_20181007-000734.jpg
2018-10-6
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 4724977 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Is it not down to who ever requests the NFZ ?
2018-10-7
Use props
Dirty Bird
Captain
  • >>>

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-10-7 08:21
Is it not down to who ever requests the NFZ ?

IDK how it works or who decides?  I only know the practice sessions & shows are only an hour or two long so a 24/day blanket shutdown for 4 full days is a bit extreme & unnecessary.
2018-10-7
Use props
GhostWolf010
Captain
Flight distance : 1118323 ft

It is probably done because the jets are also flying when the show is not busy I.e practise flying (like you mentioned)
So they would lock the airspace completely because they will not know exactly when they are flying? It is probably much easier to make a nfz for 4 days straight then to define when they are flying? Like then they have to look up when they can fly, and now they can fly whenever they want
2018-10-7
Use props
Riddler 305
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Hi DB:

I share your pain, as I thought the NFZ for Fleet Week was excessive. I wanted to fly at Inner Harbor at sunrise during that period but could not because of this ridiculous NFZ policy. But today, I had an even more ridiculous NSF experience. Apparently TSU's home football games have resulted in NFZs for what appears to be about a one mile radius around the stadium. So I could not get a few test flights in today before leaving on vacation next week. To make matters worse, the wonderful (supposedly) DJI unlock system failed to complete my unlock request a total of four times.

I agree with you; who makes the rules here.  What do you have to do to get an NFZ designation, because if a fifth rate college football game rates NFZ designation, we'll be seeing many more ridiculous NFZs pop up everywhere, and without any rational reason.
2018-10-13
Use props
Dirty Bird
Captain
  • >>>

Riddler 305 Posted at 2018-10-13 16:22
Hi DB:

I share your pain, as I thought the NFZ for Fleet Week was excessive. I wanted to fly at Inner Harbor at sunrise during that period but could not because of this ridiculous NFZ policy. But today, I had an even more ridiculous NSF experience. Apparently TSU's home football games have resulted in NFZs for what appears to be about a one mile radius around the stadium. So I could not get a few test flights in today before leaving on vacation next week. To make matters worse, the wonderful (supposedly) DJI unlock system failed to complete my unlock request a total of four times.

The problem is, if DJI wants to function as the Drone Police, they need to be on the ball & not sloppy or lazy.  For Fleet Week you know the Thunderbird's flight itinerary was available well in advance of the event(s).  No one was sitting there throwing a switch to toggle the TNFZ on & off.  It was programmed.  Instead of programming the daily TNFZ windows they just set the entire area for a 4-day, 24/7 NFZ. It may have been for the entire week as I did not try to fly during the first few days.  

This is sloppy & lazy on the part of whoever maintains the zone database & restrictions. It's like when they used to make the area around stadiums 24/7/365 NFZs when there are games on only 8 or 81 days a year.  If they want to be the Drone Police, do it right or don't do it at all.
2018-10-13
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Captain
United States

Dirty Bird Posted at 2018-10-13 18:52
The problem is, if DJI wants to function as the Drone Police, they need to be on the ball & not sloppy or lazy.  For Fleet Week you know the Thunderbird's flight itinerary was available well in advance of the event(s).  No one was sitting there throwing a switch to toggle the TNFZ on & off.  It was programmed.  Instead of programming the daily TNFZ windows they just set the entire area for a 4-day, 24/7 NFZ. It may have been for the entire week as I did not try to fly during the first few days.  

This is sloppy & lazy on the part of whoever maintains the zone database & restrictions. It's like when they used to make the area around stadiums 24/7/365 NFZs when there are games on only 8 or 81 days a year.  If they want to be the Drone Police, do it right or don't do it at all.

The problem is, if DJI wants to function as the Drone Police,

Wouldn't be a problem if they had not have left out part b of 2A.

A well regulated Skyforce, being necessary to the security of a free  State, the right of the people to keep and fly Drones, shall not be  infringed.

How sad that a Free Republic has turned control of our Skies over to a foreign power.

2018-10-13
Use props
Dirty Bird
Captain
  • >>>

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-10-13 19:16
The problem is, if DJI wants to function as the Drone Police,

Wouldn't be a problem if they had not have left out part b of 2A.

Amen, brother!  
2018-10-13
Use props
Riddler 305
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Dirty Bird Posted at 2018-10-13 18:52
The problem is, if DJI wants to function as the Drone Police, they need to be on the ball & not sloppy or lazy.  For Fleet Week you know the Thunderbird's flight itinerary was available well in advance of the event(s).  No one was sitting there throwing a switch to toggle the TNFZ on & off.  It was programmed.  Instead of programming the daily TNFZ windows they just set the entire area for a 4-day, 24/7 NFZ. It may have been for the entire week as I did not try to fly during the first few days.  

This is sloppy & lazy on the part of whoever maintains the zone database & restrictions. It's like when they used to make the area around stadiums 24/7/365 NFZs when there are games on only 8 or 81 days a year.  If they want to be the Drone Police, do it right or don't do it at all.

Yes, I agree 100%.

As far as I can recall, there actual FAA TFR for Fleet Week was only for four hours (1-5PM) on the days the Thunderbirds were performing. No reason to restrict the area any longer than necessary. After my unpleasant experience yesterday, I will probably unlock my M2P as soon as possible. Very easy to see the need for this with DJI's sloppy NFZ management, which seems to be getting worse instead of improving.
2018-10-14
Use props
rolling56
Captain
Flight distance : 138310 ft
United States

To make a long story short we had Trump here and then Pence came here 2 weeks later. Then a week later another NOTAM went out on Twitter for my town again. So i replied to the FAA on that last posting and asked them if it could have been in a different state as Springfield is in a lot of states. The response i got was they are automatically generated and it was a typo. The TFR was in a different state.
2018-10-14
Use props
Brad Bilger
First Officer
Flight distance : 9048022 ft

The only other thing that I can think of is that the Thunderbirds aren't the only team flying.  There are tons of other teams that fly at air shows other than the headliner and they might not have as rigid a schedule as the Blue Angels do.  A solo pilot might be more of a "Spur of the moment" practice.  The last Air show that I went to had the Thunderbirds, Golden Knights, Half a dozen stunt planes, the Heritage flights of Older WWII planes and new jet fighters and others.  We  have one this weekend if the weather will allow them.  I watched a B-52 yanking and banking the other day for practice.  (I'm well outside the NFZ)  The Thunderbirds might cover a larger area during practice, but everyone else needs the coverage also I guess.  
2018-10-14
Use props
1Eagle
Second Officer
Flight distance : 290348 ft
United States

The problem is, if DJI wants to function as the Drone Police, they need to be on the ball & not sloppy or lazy.

So true, they are only out to cover there own a......s
Let's hope the new release is less cumbersome.........
2018-10-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules