7.85" 1000 CrystalSky still worth buying?
3378 20 2018-10-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
todamgood4U
lvl.3
Flight distance : 134209 ft

I have been going back and forth on whether the 7.85" 1000 CrystalSky is still worth buying.  I've read a lot of reviews and watched a lot of videos and I know it's something I want to purchase but at the same time the lack of support and slow updates makes me wonder if DJI has given up on this project or has a new revised version coming out soon.
So I'm curious to those with the 5.5" or the 7.85" 1000:

1) Do you have any regrets
2) Would you buy today or wait to see if something better is about to be released.

Thanks!
2018-10-7
Use props
Sky Donkey
lvl.4
Flight distance : 355157 ft
United Kingdom

The Pros:When out in the field .. the display is second to none, fantastic. Easily visible in bright sunlight.

The Cons:  Crystalsky is DJI unloved stepson, DJI appear to show little love for it these days,  slow upgrades, long waits to address problems.
Started to feel slightly old clunky and underpowered.   
Over priced and doesn't come with bag, any kind of screen cover or power power supply. All add to the cost of the unit.

Options: You could buy yourself a top of the range Ipad 4 mini and a sun shade and save yourself £400 and also know your get the latest software upgrade months before the CS.
How many drones do you intend to fly it with?

If I never had a CS would I buy one right now, knowing what I know now.

70/30 NO
2018-10-8
Use props
todamgood4U
lvl.3

Sky Donkey Posted at 2018-10-8 00:07
The Pros:When out in the field .. the display is second to none, fantastic. Easily visible in bright sunlight.

The Cons:  Crystalsky is DJI unloved stepson, DJI appear to show little love for it these days,  slow upgrades, long waits to address problems.

Thank you very much for that.  I was using my Pixel 2XL at first and then purchased an ipad mini but both are just ok.  I only fly 1 drone for now but I plan on using it for hiking in the mountains, stuff like that.  Places where there isn't any shade, lots of direct sunlight and open space but the obvious obstacles.  I need to have it big enough and bright enough to see what I'm doing because there is no fetching it if it tumbles down the side of a mountain.  It's what I need but all the comments has me holding back.
2018-10-8
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

Sky Donkey Posted at 2018-10-8 00:07

Over priced and doesn't come with bag, any kind of screen cover or power power supply. All add to the cost of the unit.

^^ That ^^
Along with getting a reliable CrystalSky seems to be a hit or miss thing.  In my experience, more emphasis on miss.

2018-10-8
Use props
Barry Goyette
lvl.4
Flight distance : 14928 ft
  • >>>
United States

on the other hand... It's very nice to be able to see the image in full sun. Never going to happen with a tablet...especially the mini4...which was what I came from when I purchased the CS UB. Unfortunately this is the buggiest product in the DJI lineup. It's under powered, and the touch screen they put on it isn't nearly accurate enough to work well with the UI. But I wouldn't trade it for the world.
2018-10-9
Use props
Far_North
lvl.4
Flight distance : 278379 ft
Canada

I use the 5.5 CS with my MPP.  Not a single problem with it in the 9 months I've had it.  Being able to see the screen in full bright sun is important to me.
2018-10-9
Use props
todamgood4U
lvl.3

Barry Goyette Posted at 2018-10-9 10:37
on the other hand... It's very nice to be able to see the image in full sun. Never going to happen with a tablet...especially the mini4...which was what I came from when I purchased the CS UB. Unfortunately this is the buggiest product in the DJI lineup. It's under powered, and the touch screen they put on it isn't nearly accurate enough to work well with the UI. But I wouldn't trade it for the world.

Thank you, and this is the response I see from most people.  It's great, but it sucks, but it's great.  lol.
2018-10-9
Use props
todamgood4U
lvl.3

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-10-8 20:18

While I agree I think it's a shame it doesn't come with a charging cable, it's not a deal breaker for me.  Everything I have read says the 5.5 is pretty solid as well as the 1000 7.85.  The problems are mostly in the 2000 7.85.  Still on the fence.  
2018-10-9
Use props
todamgood4U
lvl.3

Far_North Posted at 2018-10-9 15:31
I use the 5.5 CS with my MPP.  Not a single problem with it in the 9 months I've had it.  Being able to see the screen in full bright sun is important to me.

Thank you.  This is reassuring!  Which drone do you use it with?
2018-10-9
Use props
jffry7
lvl.4
Flight distance : 27566 ft
United States

I love my 5.5 CS and I wont go out without it. Having said that if you still havent got it, I would recommend that you hold of the purchase. With the new techs and toys DJI have this has lagged behind big time. Like running smooth playback of H265 recorded vid on it is near impossible. Like what Sky Donkey said this is an unloved child of DJI. Tho I still prefer it than any iOS device (personal taste).
2018-10-9
Use props
Far_North
lvl.4
Flight distance : 278379 ft
Canada

todamgood4U Posted at 2018-10-9 16:07
Thank you.  This is reassuring!  Which drone do you use it with?

I use it with a MPP (Mavic Pro Platinum)

2018-10-10
Use props
todamgood4U
lvl.3

jffry7 Posted at 2018-10-9 18:28
I love my 5.5 CS and I wont go out without it. Having said that if you still havent got it, I would recommend that you hold of the purchase. With the new techs and toys DJI have this has lagged behind big time. Like running smooth playback of H265 recorded vid on it is near impossible. Like what Sky Donkey said this is an unloved child of DJI. Tho I still prefer it than any iOS device (personal taste).

Hmmm...ok.  Being new to DJI, do they have a time when all their new products come out?  I know they just came out with the Mavic 2 series but should I be hopeful for a new product event - and to include a CrystalSky v2 - in the near future to hold out for?
2018-10-10
Use props
todamgood4U
lvl.3

Far_North Posted at 2018-10-10 07:53
I use it with a MPP (Mavic Pro Platinum)

[view_image]

Oh nice.  I'm going on vacation in a couple weeks and I'm sooooo undecided if I should buy it or not.  Thank you though, I really appreciate everyone's input.
2018-10-10
Use props
jffry7
lvl.4
Flight distance : 27566 ft
Singapore

todamgood4U Posted at 2018-10-10 15:34
Hmmm...ok.  Being new to DJI, do they have a time when all their new products come out?  I know they just came out with the Mavic 2 series but should I be hopeful for a new product event - and to include a CrystalSky v2 - in the near future to hold out for?

DJI CS was anounced about a year ago ang few user got their unit about late Nov if not mistaken. I got mine around the same time.

I am not sure whether they will release a V2 or maybe an integrated controller or something but they might release something before the holidays (pure speculation)

edit: typo
2018-10-11
Use props
todamgood4U
lvl.3

jffry7 Posted at 2018-10-11 04:20
DJI CS was anounced about a year ago ang few user got their unit about late Nov if not mistaken. I got mine around the same time.

I am not sure weather they will release a V2 or maybe an integrated controller or something but they might release something before the holidays (pure speculation)

Thank you.  Maybe I'll hold off until the new year to see if anything transpires.  I appreciate your help.
2018-10-11
Use props
marctronixx
lvl.4
Flight distance : 210118 ft
  • >>>
United States

so what did you decide on?
2019-4-2
Use props
ROBERTO SMERA
lvl.4
Flight distance : 42619744 ft
  • >>>
Brazil

The experience has been great after the last app update to ver. 4.3.14. The HD downlink is now smooth and solid even in long distance flights beyond 3 to 4 km. FYI my bird is a Mavic 2 Pro. For me the only downside is the internal compass which almost always never coincide with the bird compass and indicates wrong directions during flights.
2019-4-3
Use props
DroneGuyEd
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1168140 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have both the 7.85 and the 5.5 and they both work great!.  There is no better for outside sunny flying than these...I've tried many others.  The lack of updates has not been an issue for me at all.  I have a P4 and a MA and both work fine with both displays.
2019-4-4
Use props
fans0bc0256f
lvl.1
United Kingdom

I just bought a CS 7.85 Inch 1000 nit screen fro a Mavic 2 Pro.  The only reason I bought it are as follows:
1.  to use below zero 0C (below 32F), as iOS devices switch off within a 20 seconds when its -10C.  
2. I hope to travel to warmer climates too, where it will be above 30C, and again iOS devices shutdown when they get too hot.
3. I have no intention of replacing my Mavic 2 Pro, until 2023 as I expect new drone laws in 2023. So just incase DJI do not update the Go 4 App, I will still have a dedicated device that I can control the Mavic 2 Pro from. I'm not all too trusting of the moves made between 2020 and 2022 as there is a lot happening legally all over the world regarding drones.

I could have just used an iPad if it wasn't for this requirement. Screen brightness isn't really an issue as I don't fly between 11am-3pm due to flat uninteresting light from the sun.

For me, the biggest draw back of the CrystalSky isn't the fact its a locked OS, but the fact it would make a great monitor for shooting video, if they simply added a HDMI input and some custom recording software.  If DJI were to create a CrystalSky 2, I would like to see extra features to compete with Atomos and Blackmagic monitor recorders.
2020-4-12
Use props
Joecos
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3294770 ft
United States

I started with an iPad Mini4.  It was great until you use it under the sun. Then i purchased several type Hood's (PGY Tech & HoodMan).  The hoods are great but then, it becomes bulky, heavy and difficult to touch the screen with all the coverings.

I decided on Crystalsky 7.85 Bright version.  Yes, its an outdated Android OS but the view is fantastic without the heavy bulk of hoods.  Yes there is lag but not that bad.  If you optimize CrystalSky, so it just runs DJI Go app (No Wifi) then it will work fine.  The more resource intensive apps you add, the more it tries to keep up, hence the lag and all the crashing problems.

My Crystalsky has been working great and i love it.

For my Inspire 2.

2020-4-12
Use props
jazzyjeff
lvl.4
United States

Guys,

The Crystal Sky is a great tablet. I have the 5 inch model and am very happy with it for the drones I use it for. That's the up side.

The down side is plain and simple,,,DJI. They do not support their products and if they do, its always a fight to get them to support them. They will usually give you some ridiculous reason for not supporting the product and make it your problem. They are great when they want to sell you the product but then it's a struggle God forbid something goes wrong.

It would have been easy for DJI to make any of these drones compatible with DJI Go4 for those of us who prefer Go 4, Thats what the Crystal Sky has in it, I was told by a DJI sales person that the Crystal Sky would support all DJI drones. Well my wife bought me a Mavic Mini for Christmas and its still in the box because I can't use it with the Crystal Sky. So now a wait until a company like Litchi supports the Mavic Mini. Litchi  works on the Crystal Sky. How's that one? Autel Evo and Litchi software both work on the Crystal Sky yet DJI does not support their own product on it?

Everyone is waiting for DJI to release the SDK software on the Mavic Mini so Litchi can work with it..   

Buyer beware is the best advice I can give you with DJI.

Good Luck!
2020-4-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules