Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mavic 2 Pro problems so far...
6969 18 2018-10-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MrTitan
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I just want to start by saying I think the M2P is wonderful (when it works properly) and I'm very impressed by many of its features and performance.  That said I have experienced a small number of issues, which are either frustrating or concerning.  I know they've likely all been reported here and there, but I wanted to share my experiences too to help DJI recognise they are not isolated incidents.

Transmission Signal Issue:  The DJI Goggles (white) and/or the connected phone/tablet suddenly loose live video connection.  The video has always restablished itself automatically within 2-5 seconds, but it's disconcerting when it happens (and could be dangerous in certain circumstances).  The signal strength usually goes from 3 bars to nothing instantly.  This can seemingly happen at any time but mostly when the craft is 500+ meters away.  It happens even in open areas with no obvious electrical or magnetic interference and after the drone has been calibrated prior to take off.

Remote Signal Lost Issue:  Definitely more worrying is the fact my Mavic 2 Pro has suffered one or two random disconnects from the transmitter.  The most recent time this happened was when the craft had returned from a flight out at a distance of over 1000m.  The drone had not experienced any signal loss or strange behaviour during the flight over fields until it was hovering approximately 12 feet in front of me at a height of 9 feet or so and with 20% drone battery and 75% transmitter battery remaining.  The Go4 App displayed a red warning box mentioning an aerial or antenna issue, and a second later the Mavic 2 Pro lost connection.  Fortunately it remained hovering on the spot until the transmitter restablished connection (about 5-7 long seconds).  I've checked the signal strength within the menu and have found it to be 'Good' - but only after calibating the compass every time I fly whether in a new or the same location, otherwise it often says 'Poor'.  It's annoying to have to calibrate the compass so frequently and none of my other DJI drones (phantom/mavic pro etc.) required it.

Camera Focus issue:  Like many have reported the focus proceedure is broken and a bit sucky.  Various firmware updates appear to have changed some of the modes of focus but the overall results have never been great (in terms of ease of use) and the most recent FW update means clicking on the Macro image when Manual Focus is engaged appears to select Infinity Zoom - which doesn't work well anyway.  Point to focus doesn't appear to work at all proving an image that is constantly blury.  Auto Focus doesn't work properly either and results in blury footage.  I find manual focus to be the best solution but it's a pain having to always worry about it on top of everything else.

And finally the oddly intermittent behavioir of the drone durig startup etc. is a little disconcerting.  The downloads and updates fail too often, and often don't even register as being avaikable.  I often turn on the drone and the Go4 App Firmware checks everything and confirms all FW's the newest version.  I'll then restart the drone a few minutes/seconds later, or after draining a battery, and a firmward update is available.  Othertimes I'll have entered the Go4 app having completed the firmware check, and when I go back to the welcome screen it'll perform a firmware check again and suddenly there is an update.  I've even had it where I was flying after all the FW update checks had been completed ok, only for the transmitter to suddenly announce (on it's LCD screen) that incompatible firmware is installed.  It doesn't breed confidence.

So there you go DJI.  Hopefully that'll help iron out some bugs.

2018-10-8
Use props
paul2660
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10331 ft
  • >>>

Not sure why you are getting firmware checks, there has only been 1 firmware update to the MP2 that I know of.  All the batteries need the firmware update one time, as does the drone and controller.  The only update issue see is the no fly database which seems to need updating more often.  

If Touch AF is not working at all, then you might want to ask DJI for a warranty replacement.  Manual focus IMO on the MP2 or any other DJI drone is difficult to get exacting focus, especially with a iOS device as the DJIgo4 app doesn't fully support the retina resolution thus the images never look very sharp.  At least for me.  With the Crystalsky manual focus is a bit easier.  MF with an iOS device is OK up close, which I never am, but trying to get exact tack focus on a distant subject I always use the touch AF, then switch to MF, which fixes that AF.

Signal drops, only thing I would consider is going to a custom setting, 5.8 or 2.4 (I try to stay with 2.4) and see if you can keep the signal.

Compass, should only need calibration 1 time unless you have placed the drone next to something that could magnetize the compass, (car speaker).  If you are being prompted to re-calibrate each time or need to due to a error, I would seriously consider opening a warranty ticket with DJI.  

Paul C
2018-10-8
Use props
Hedsic
Second Officer
Flight distance : 478757 ft

Makes me thankful that my M2P hasnt experienced any of these issues. *knock on wood*
2018-10-8
Use props
davidmartingraf
Captain
Flight distance : 84805085 ft
  • >>>

Like I've said, while the Mavic 2 on paper has the ability to be the best drone, because the original Mavic Pro doesn't have these problems and achieved such lofty heights, until these Mavic 2 problems get ironed out the Mavic Pro will remain the Undisputed Heavyweight Champion.
2018-10-8
Use props
KlooGee
Captain
Flight distance : 16641309 ft
  • >>>
United States

If you regularly get these issues, I'd highly recommend you do a screen recording on your phone demonstrating them.  Quite frequently it is much easier to understand the impact and what is going on when you can actually see the issues you are seeing right along with you.  This helps provide feedback to the support and engineers to be able to help get them resolved quicker.
2018-10-8
Use props
MrTitan
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thanks for the great replies guys.  I guess we're all aware of some of the (unfair and ott) drama that's being fired at the M2P and I'm definitely not of that opinion.  I've been very impressed with the image quality and flight capabilities of the Mavic 2 Pro during my first few flights.  Unfortunately there'll always be a few lemons when a new product is launched (even throughout its life cycle) but I'd assume most issues are down to pilot error due to a lack of understanding of the drones functionality or simply through having overly high expectations.  I suppose it can be difficult to decide/agree on when an issue is a real problem as opposed to an inconvenience, as these hiccups can seemingly affect people differently.  Right now the issues I've experienced are inconveniences.  When my Mavic 2 flies away it'll become a problem!  jk.  ;-)

I'm generally happy to pick up a new drone or piece of tech and get to using it straight away because I've been doing it for years or decades, but I do think DJI should provide a more informative digital Quick Start guide, and much more informative (and all-in-one-place) Manual of Operation (which focuses on the camera as well as the drones flight features) that new users could download and learn from.  The guides could be supplied on a supplied Micro SD card or even loaded onto the drones internal memory.  I think that'd help answer many newer users questions and attend to some of the more irrational fears unexperienced pilots may have.  Plus, it'd act as a great guide for pro's and experienced users too;  You're never too old or experienced to learn.  :-)

Thanks for the run through Paul C.  Much appreciated.  I'll give the tap to Auto Focus and switch to Manual Focus tip a try.  I'll admit I haven't played around much with the 2.4/5.8GHz settings so I'll give that a try too.  The compass issue I'm experiencing isn't awful, it just seems clear that the M2 compass is much more sensitive compared to the original Mavic Pro or Phantoms I've used previously.  Get it just a tad too close to a metal structure during startup or any magnetic source and the Mag Interference error is present when the drone's turned on.  A quick compass calibration sorts it out every time.  Regarding FW (from memory) I think that so far my M2P has required 2 Drone FW updates, 1 Battery FW update, 2 Controller FW updates and 1 Goggle FW update.  It's had 3 or 4 Fly Safe Database Updates too.  I'd say every 3rd or 4th flying session has required an update of some sort and the Go4 App just isn't very good as performing its checks and updating.  In the grand scheme of things it's no big deal though and, as I say, I'm very impressed with my Mavic 2 Pro so far.  :-)
2018-10-9
Use props
xagoras
Captain
Flight distance : 1357589 ft

Don't forget the missing Precison Landing, too.
2018-10-9
Use props
M2Wair
Captain
Flight distance : 1192231 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Precision landing! Fly it home manually and land it on a pin head.... RTH surely is just an emergency action!  But if that's important to a user agree it should be accurate.
2018-10-9
Use props
xagoras
Captain
Flight distance : 1357589 ft

Well, since it has the ability to do it, what's the point they haven't implement it yet. I'm with you on the manual landing, but it could be usefull in some situations to be able to depend that if you hit that button it will come back and land on the exact spot it took off.
2018-10-9
Use props
J.E. Primitive
New

United States

I have a new mavic 2 enterprise and my screen flight controls on the left side of the screen are missing. What am I doing wrong here? I’m using an iPhone 7 as my monitor and all downloads were successful.
2019-7-12
Use props
Francis
Captain
Flight distance : 774203 ft
Brazil

I ve never experienced any problem like that. The only bug i have is that drone FW cannot be updated by android phone. I need to use the PC. It doesnt bother me, at all.
2019-7-13
Use props
Lucas775
Captain
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

xagoras Posted at 2018-10-9 09:27

Precision landing woks fine with my M2pro.  There are some videos on YT on how to make your PL work on your M2.  If I don't hand catch mine(which I do 99% of the time) it lands within inches from my take off point.
2019-7-13
Use props
ajrulez
Second Officer
Flight distance : 447142 ft
United States

I do not have any issues with using NOte 9 Firmware upgrade.
The only issues I had today was got disconnected message with DJIgo4 screen greyed out when my MAvic 2 was high in the Air.
Also, couple of Image transmission issues.  I thought this is normal LoL
2019-7-13
Use props
Johnny C!
Second Officer
Flight distance : 44839 ft
United States

KlooGee Posted at 2018-10-8 18:50
If you regularly get these issues, I'd highly recommend you do a screen recording on your phone demonstrating them.  Quite frequently it is much easier to understand the impact and what is going on when you can actually see the issues you are seeing right along with you.  This helps provide feedback to the support and engineers to be able to help get them resolved quicker.

I am trying to work up the nerve to by a
M2P, but I keep reading these threads
and I keep putting it off.

But for future reference, how do you
make a screen recording? I use a
Samsung S8 with my Sparks.

Good discussion here.

John
2019-7-14
Use props
El Diabolico
First Officer

Germany

Man sorry but I can’t relate to any of your issues... never had any disconnect, nor firmware problems and the tap to focus works every time. Perhaps your unit is faulty and/or you’re using an Android device?
2019-7-14
Use props
kovat53
Captain
Flight distance : 324521 ft
Hungary

El Diabolico Posted at 7-14 07:01
Man sorry but I can’t relate to any of your issues... never had any disconnect, nor firmware problems and the tap to focus works every time. Perhaps your unit is faulty and/or you’re using an Android device?

Hi,

nothing to do with Android OS. I have used and will use Android and never had any over discussed issues. I know there are countless much Android  variants on different phones. One is important: to choose among the certified smartphones from trusted manufacturer, who issues a phone with ready made and controlled fw. I use Samsung Galaxy variants and have never had any problem with the phone itself.  Thanx
2019-7-14
Use props
djiuser_veHmLPTwDWPE
New

United States

I had a question about my drone. I had a mavic pro and it crashed without me moveing anything. I was just moving the left stick to the left and it all of a sudden fliped over a flew into the ground. Was that the drone or was it my phone. I run a Samsung Galaxy s8 for clarification. Welcome any comments.

Thanks
2020-4-22
Use props
Labroides
Captain
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

djiuser_veHmLPTwDWPE Posted at 4-22 19:18
I had a question about my drone. I had a mavic pro and it crashed without me moveing anything. I was just moving the left stick to the left and it all of a sudden fliped over a flew into the ground. Was that the drone or was it my phone. I run a Samsung Galaxy s8 for clarification. Welcome any comments.

The little information in your description gives me a hint about a possible cause.
But as always, it would be necessary to see the flight data to really tell what happened.
2020-4-22
Use props
Francis
Captain
Flight distance : 774203 ft
Brazil

xagoras Posted at 2018-10-9 09:27

precision landing is default. Dont need to set it. And u cannot disable it.  Always on. Make sense. To work right PL needs a good pattern and light.
2020-4-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules