#Autumn# Fall in Northern Wisconsin. Harsh criticism wanted!
123Next >
6950 110 2018-10-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bing Err
Captain
Flight distance : 9249964 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sky Carrier Posted at 2018-10-9 05:22
Great video and pics. Love the autumn colors. Amazing.

Thanks for taking the time to watch Sky Carrier.
2018-10-9
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
  • >>>
United States

OverTheEdge Posted at 2018-10-9 06:08
Great video and subject to film. In the beginning, the music caught me by surprise; but I think it fits the scenes well.

Thanks for the comments OverTheEdge. Now that I've listened to it a 100 times I realize I picked the wrong song. I think it's the high pitched chipmunk voice that's doing it. I like the Do Wop style, just need to find a song with less annoying vocals for my re-edit. If you have any suggestions feel free to post them in the comments. Thanks for watching and commenting!
2018-10-9
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Zulu Lima Posted at 2018-10-9 07:31
WHAT!!!!! Your DNR puts drone videos up on the color map? that's dope as hell. I need to bug MNDNR to do the same.

I actually live in MN so we can lobby them together. What I would REALLY like to see in MN State Parks is a day permit you can buy (maybe for $20-$40) that gives you access to film with a drone in certain spots. I think it could generate money for the DNR and give them a little boost in publicity if done right. Utah does this already, so it's not TOO crazy to think of happening.

Thanks for the comments!
2018-10-9
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>

Well, you asked for this ... Everything is fine with your vid. You captured the look of an cloudy, calm autumn evening around this lake, you decided to keep everything in light mood with abrupt transitions and dynamic speed ramps, to the rhythm of grotesque music. The story may benefit from slight exposure adjustments here and there, but that's a minor cosmetic issue. Some may question the choice of background music, but anything different (nostalgic piano piece?) in tune with dark mood of captured landscapes, will require totally different concept, montage and editing strategy. I watched your work twice and I liked it.

Than I scrolled your post, and my spiritual support went down the toiled bowl ... Why did you start throwing these ridiculous balls at us ???!!! If you really need to impress us with your tiny planets, don't rely on pre-packaged images spitted by your Mavic. Be more creative instead, take images out and post-process them in Photoshop, suspending the planet in a space rather than in an absurd ambient fog and light. Ugh .... little planet_experiment 2.jpg
2018-10-9
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 2018-10-9 19:54
Well, you asked for this ... Everything is fine with your vid. You captured the look of an cloudy, calm autumn evening around this lake, you decided to keep everything in light mood with abrupt transitions and dynamic speed ramps, to the rhythm of grotesque music. The story may benefit from slight exposure adjustments here and there, but that's a minor cosmetic issue. Some may question the choice of background music, but anything different (nostalgic piano piece?) in tune with dark mood of captured landscapes, will require totally different concept, montage and editing strategy. I watched your work twice and I liked it.

Than I scrolled your post, and my spiritual support went down the toiled bowl ... Why did you start throwing these ridiculous balls at us ???!!! If you really need to impress us with your tiny planets, don't rely on pre-packaged images spitted by your Mavic. Be more creative instead, take images out and post-process them in Photoshop, suspending the planet in a space rather than in an absurd ambient fog and light. Ugh ....[view_image]

Sincerely THANK YOU for your opinion about the video. I appreciated your take on it. I do know you HATE tiny planets so I still acknowledge you taking the time to view the content and give me your honest feelings about it.
2018-10-9
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>

Bing Err Posted at 2018-10-9 20:05
Sincerely THANK YOU for your opinion about the video. I appreciated your take on it. I do know you HATE tiny planets so I still acknowledge you taking the time to view the content and give me your honest feelings about it.

If I hate tiny planets, than why would I waste 3 hours creating mine ?
2018-10-9
Use props
Charissa
First Officer
Flight distance : 689334 ft
South Africa

Bing Err Posted at 2018-10-9 02:30
Yeah, I worked on the Pano for a while and wasn't totally happy with the stitching and the horizon.

What did you have in mind for the other pics? Do you want me to upload a few originals for you to edit? Which pics do you want?

Hi.
I can have a look at the pano for you. Also, planet 1 and planet 2 if you want. Nothing wrong with yours, it is perfect. Just have some ideas that I can share with you if you want.
Cheers
2018-10-9
Use props
Nebuchadnezzar
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 3462946 ft
  • >>>
Spain

Beautiful video and really amazing shots !!
2018-10-10
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Nebuchadnezzar Posted at 2018-10-10 01:56
Beautiful video and really amazing shots !!

Thanks man. I appreciate it.
2018-10-10
Use props
djiuser_Qbr3maIzMzPW
lvl.1

Indonesia

I liked the music. Maybe fade out in a bit at the beginning rather than the abrupt way it jumps at you now before the tone of the video is set.
Also maybe some more clips of the two of you interacting a bit with the scenery to give it a bit more of a story.
I wouldn't have bothered to comment if I didn't like the video
2018-10-10
Use props
Zulu Lima
lvl.2
Flight distance : 206955 ft
United States

Bing Err Posted at 2018-10-9 14:29
I actually live in MN so we can lobby them together. What I would REALLY like to see in MN State Parks is a day permit you can buy (maybe for $20-$40) that gives you access to film with a drone in certain spots. I think it could generate money for the DNR and give them a little boost in publicity if done right. Utah does this already, so it's not TOO crazy to think of happening.

Thanks for the comments!

while it's not encouraged, flying drones in state parks is not illegal. I went to Itasca the other day, and took a few shots down on the south end of Hernando DeSoto and also on the south entrance over Lake Josepehine and Arco. i cleared it with everyone that was leafing at the time mentioning that it might be loud and i apologized, after launching everyone said they hardly even heard anything and now that it's 500 feet away they couldn't even hear it anymore. I got some pretty great shots.
2018-10-10
Use props
Seymour Clouds
lvl.3
United States

That music, bruh...  Allllllllvaaaaaaaan!  Other than that, super cool vid and photos.  I really liked the dolly zoom towers!  
2018-10-10
Use props
Wisdom Tooth
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1535308 ft
  • >>>
United States

Heyyy my grandparents live in Hayward!  Beautiful place, I was flying around there a few months back.
2018-10-10
Use props
John Mclaughlin 7
lvl.4
Flight distance : 489446 ft
United States

I don't think harsh criticism is necessary, good subject matter, colors are awesome, I think the amount of different subjects was low, so the video could have been about 30 seconds shorter keeping a good visual tempo by making a couple of the similar clips a bit shorter. I'd be shooting every day until those colors were gone, lucky you....if anyone is ragging on you they are just being a tool. keep flying.
2018-10-10
Use props
Charissa
First Officer
South Africa

Bing Err Posted at 2018-10-9 02:30
Yeah, I worked on the Pano for a while and wasn't totally happy with the stitching and the horizon.

What did you have in mind for the other pics? Do you want me to upload a few originals for you to edit? Which pics do you want?

Ok, only had the JPEG, so I could not get all the detail out of the highlights etc, as I am sure is possible with the DNG you have.
Just another "version" of a already excellent image.
Let me know what you think.(To see the difference, you need to save the two images side by side.)
1.jpg
2018-10-10
Use props
Charissa
First Officer
South Africa

And the other one. Very slight contrast adjustements. Again, the JPEG did not allow me to remove the color banding and hot higlights in the sky. Tried though. What do you think?

2018-10-10
Use props
Charissa
First Officer
South Africa

Last one. Corrected the slight pincushion distortion, some contrast, straighten horizon, added some gray in the sky where the highlights is totally blown out. Exposure slightly lightend. I saw someone said something about your images being over saturated, I don,t see that on my calibrated monitor. Looks fine to me, so this one, I added a slight amount of sats.
Your thoughts?
2018-10-10
Use props
OverTheEdge
lvl.3
United States

Bing Err Posted at 2018-10-9 14:27
Thanks for the comments OverTheEdge. Now that I've listened to it a 100 times I realize I picked the wrong song. I think it's the high pitched chipmunk voice that's doing it. I like the Do Wop style, just need to find a song with less annoying vocals for my re-edit. If you have any suggestions feel free to post them in the comments. Thanks for watching and commenting!

I would not change the song…it really fits the scene. The song is an upbeat, quirky take on an older (nostalgic-like) love song.

The colors in the shots are also quirky (random / unexpected blend / without pattern) along with your cuts and effects to match the beat.

With an older song, one would “expect” to see hues if the 50s and 60s films with shades of brown / gray. But the people in the world back then saw in full color (like in your shots) unlike how we see them through older dull colored films.

Then there are the lyrics…”Life could be a dream”….contrasting the many of colors in your shots because we all dream in color, right? Not to mention the subtle shots of a couple together…that aligns well with the lyrics of the love song.

I challenge you to find a better song for this same film. If it’s not broke…
2018-10-10
Use props
Rodger8
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Great Job, no criticism here!
2018-10-10
Use props
Atlas_Aus
Second Officer

Thailand

Hey mate,

The colours are amazing.

Watching on my 1920 x 1080 screen it looked quite blurry.. What setting did you use to make / upload the movie ? No expert mate, I am still learning myself and have had the same thing happen to mine as I was learning to use YouTube...

Music is a personal thing, but for me that would more suit a Spring / Summer scene

Thanks for sharing
2018-10-11
Use props
TomLi
lvl.1

United States

This is something incredible, such beautiful pictures.
2018-10-11
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Atlas_Aus Posted at 2018-10-11 02:40
Hey mate,

The colours are amazing.

Thanks for your input. It's rendered and uploaded in 4k on youtube. I've watched in on my 4k 65" screen and didn't see any blur. Anyone else confirm this. Thanks for viewing and commenting.
2018-10-11
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Charissa Posted at 2018-10-10 08:47
[view_image]

And the other one. Very slight contrast adjustements. Again, the JPEG did not allow me to remove the color banding and hot higlights in the sky. Tried though. What do you think?

I REALLY like how you fixed this one. Very nice work. The contrast looks great and the details are very clear. THANKS
2018-10-11
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Charissa Posted at 2018-10-10 09:05
[view_image]

Last one. Corrected the slight pincushion distortion, some contrast, straighten horizon, added some gray in the sky where the highlights is totally blown out. Exposure slightly lightend. I saw someone said something about your images being over saturated, I don,t see that on my calibrated monitor. Looks fine to me, so this one, I added a slight amount of sats.

This is really great work. Mind if I replace my original pics with yours and give you credit. You do great work. Maybe I need to brush up on my skills and calibrate my monitor. Probably just my skills though. Do you work in Digital Arts or just a hobby?
2018-10-11
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Charissa Posted at 2018-10-10 08:44
[view_image]

Ok, only had the JPEG, so I could not get all the detail out of the highlights etc, as I am sure is possible with the DNG you have.

I have LOADS of DNG files that I captured but have yet to manipulate them. Might be time for me to get LightRoom or just learn your skills. They really are 200% better than my pics. What adjustments are you making?
2018-10-11
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
  • >>>
United States

OverTheEdge Posted at 2018-10-10 09:18
I would not change the song…it really fits the scene. The song is an upbeat, quirky take on an older (nostalgic-like) love song.

The colors in the shots are also quirky (random / unexpected blend / without pattern) along with your cuts and effects to match the beat.

I really like your idea of making the video hue match the time period of the song. Something I've never thought about but really like the idea. THANKS

If I picked a song thats really old I could even use a sepia tone... just not for this video. Def gives me something to consider next time I'm picking a song and picking a "feel" to the video.
2018-10-11
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
  • >>>
United States

John Mclaughlin 7 Posted at 2018-10-10 08:37
I don't think harsh criticism is necessary, good subject matter, colors are awesome, I think the amount of different subjects was low, so the video could have been about 30 seconds shorter keeping a good visual tempo by making a couple of the similar clips a bit shorter. I'd be shooting every day until those colors were gone, lucky you....if anyone is ragging on you they are just being a tool. keep flying.

Good idea, and I think I should try to make a cut around 45 seconds, especially for Instagram. There are some very close-to-the-same shots I could cut out.
2018-10-11
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Zulu Lima Posted at 2018-10-10 05:00
while it's not encouraged, flying drones in state parks is not illegal. I went to Itasca the other day, and took a few shots down on the south end of Hernando DeSoto and also on the south entrance over Lake Josepehine and Arco. i cleared it with everyone that was leafing at the time mentioning that it might be loud and i apologized, after launching everyone said they hardly even heard anything and now that it's 500 feet away they couldn't even hear it anymore. I got some pretty great shots. [view_image]

Great colors. I don't think I'll get to the North side of MN to capture them in time. I hear the waves on the North Shore are quite a sight right now, but may be to windy to capture by drone.
2018-10-11
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_Qbr3maIzMzPW Posted at 2018-10-10 02:37
I liked the music. Maybe fade out in a bit at the beginning rather than the abrupt way it jumps at you now before the tone of the video is set.
Also maybe some more clips of the two of you interacting a bit with the scenery to give it a bit more of a story.
I wouldn't have bothered to comment if I didn't like the video

I will fade in on my next cut. Unfortunately I don' t have two many clips of us being cutesy. She was busy taking pics with her camera most of the time. Thanks for the comment!
2018-10-11
Use props
Charissa
First Officer
South Africa

Bing Err Posted at 2018-10-11 03:54
This is really great work. Mind if I replace my original pics with yours and give you credit. You do great work. Maybe I need to brush up on my skills and calibrate my monitor. Probably just my skills though. Do you work in Digital Arts or just a hobby?

Thanks. This is just a hobby.

I do some landscapes and macro photography on the side, had a couple of images published here in SA in some coffee table books and magazines, just for fun though.
I like the more creative part of photography.
Few tips. Contrast, contrast contrast. When we make the image smaller, we alwasy lose some fine detail contrast. The correct amount makes the image pop.
I don,t like to spend lots of time on a image, so I will give it around 5 minutes, and if it does not improve, I normally bin it.

2018-10-11
Use props
Charissa
First Officer
South Africa

Bing Err Posted at 2018-10-11 03:54
This is really great work. Mind if I replace my original pics with yours and give you credit. You do great work. Maybe I need to brush up on my skills and calibrate my monitor. Probably just my skills though. Do you work in Digital Arts or just a hobby?

You are welcome. Glad you like it. You captured all the detail, I just brought some colours and finer detail out.
2018-10-11
Use props
STRIDE8
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1382431 ft
United States

OK.. where do I start...  Video was great, pics are great.  NIce work
2018-10-11
Use props
HendrikJB
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2132792 ft
South Africa

How about being called a braggard!!!
2018-10-11
Use props
HendrikJB
Second Officer
South Africa

dronist Posted at 2018-10-8 19:34
Pictures need little bit more exposure. Reduce the color a bit. It looks like fake over saturated. Also easy on the music!

I agree, the music is awful
2018-10-11
Use props
HendrikJB
Second Officer
South Africa

Bing Err Posted at 2018-10-8 18:23
BTW, I highly suggest using a Fall Color map before you go filming the fall leaves. I used this one to see which counties were at 100%. I filmed in the green square area, but all of northern Wisconsin looks to be at peak times right now. My goal (some year) is to get to Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire, and Connecticut added to my collection of Fall Color videos.

Wisconsin

Not being AmeriCAN I should have guessed about the Fall Color Map anyways.  I always like to use some apps that help me plan the time, etc.
2018-10-11
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
  • >>>
United States

HendrikJB Posted at 2018-10-11 11:25
How about being called a braggard!!!

Haha! Thanks. I'll take whatever comments I can get. And I will make a 2nd cut with new music. Looking for something that's 50-60 seconds long, fits with the subject matter, NOT annoying, and copyright free. I'm going to try to incorporate everyones suggestions into the next cut and then repost to YouTube and Instagram. Thanks for taking the time to watch and comment!

Where are you from BTW?
2018-10-11
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
  • >>>
United States

STRIDE8 Posted at 2018-10-11 08:44
OK.. where do I start...  Video was great, pics are great.  NIce work

Thanks as always STRIDE8 for watching and commenting
2018-10-11
Use props
HendrikJB
Second Officer
South Africa

Bing Err Posted at 2018-10-11 13:23
Haha! Thanks. I'll take whatever comments I can get. And I will make a 2nd cut with new music. Looking for something that's 50-60 seconds long, fits with the subject matter, NOT annoying, and copyright free. I'm going to try to incorporate everyones suggestions into the next cut and then repost to YouTube and Instagram. Thanks for taking the time to watch and comment!

Where are you from BTW?

I`m from Pringle Bay, Western Cape, South Africa
2018-10-12
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
  • >>>
United States

HendrikJB Posted at 2018-10-12 03:18
I`m from Pringle Bay, Western Cape, South Africa

Beautiful landscapes down. I see that your Autumn is mid-February to April. Looking forward to seeing Fall from the other side of the world if you can capture it! Thanks for commenting and sharing your opinion.
2018-10-12
Use props
Andrewrok
lvl.2
Flight distance : 257523 ft
Italy

Stunning colors!!! WELL DONE
2018-10-13
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now