Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Smoother panning with the ronin m?
13945 5 2015-6-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mark
lvl.1

Canada

I received my ronin m this week and while I was very impressed at the ease of set up I havent been too happy with the smoothness of the footage I'm getting. My biggest gripe is with panning - it looks very mechanical to me. Not one nice smooth movement but a series  of smaller jerky movements. At first I put this down to lack of practice but many ronin/ronin m videos have this too, including the dji Lifted film. I see videos across the web with lots of praise for the smoothness of the footage but I'm seeing this issue in most of them and thinking to myself "do people really think this looks good?...."

Examples which show what I'm talking about (lots more across the web):

at 12 secs

at 19c secs

1 min and 1 min 7

BTW my gimbal is perfectly balanced, calibrated and tuned. Flying a gh4, speedbooster and sigma 18-35 so a decent weight. And yes I'm using the lens support.

Has anyone found any techniques that help with this? I'm wondering if this is just an issue where you have a machine making linear movements tring to keep up with my non-linear human motion. It sorta feels like the gimbal is never quite able to keep up with my movements and its constantly trying to compensate - which I understand - I just wish it was able to compensate a little smoother.

Would be great to hear some thoughts, tips and tricks! Thanks
2015-6-1
Use props
mydaddy
lvl.2

United States

It all comes down to the users.  With the Glidecam/Steadicam, it took me years to master it, when Movi released their gimbal, it gave the illusion of anyone can just pick it up and run with it. Yes setting it up and balancing is much easier then a Steadicam, but walking, running, and doing movements still takes practice and some of the techniques used for steadicam/glidecam work do carry over to the 3 axis gimbals. My technique is that i don't hold the two handlebars, instead, I hold the top handlebar in the "undersling" positionwith my right hand holding it below my chest and I use my left on the left handlebar to steer the panning. It works like butter.
2015-6-1
Use props
mark
lvl.1

Canada

mydaddy Posted at 2015-6-2 13:04
It all comes down to the users.  With the Glidecam/Steadicam, it took me years to master it, when Mo ...

Thats a great tip! I guess it makes sense because now you're using your right hand as a pivot point which would help you pan more consistently through a movement. It also means you already have your hand on the top handle if you want to drop the gimbal down low. Much appreciated, thanks!
2015-6-1
Use props
Danw
lvl.1

United States

mydaddy Posted at 2015-6-2 13:04
It all comes down to the users.  With the Glidecam/Steadicam, it took me years to master it, when Mo ...

Thanks for the tip! I'll be trying it later. I'm at the point where I feel the Ronin M is good but not quite great. Maybe tips like this is all I need to get the motion a bit smoother. Did you find you had to make changes to the stiffness? I'm not sure if less stiffness would give smoother motion but more camera movement and more stiffness would provide less camera movement but jerkiness if you walk a little hard. Still testing which is a slow process because I use Android and we don't have a working app to adjust settings wireless in the field.
2015-6-2
Use props
mark
lvl.1

Canada

Danw Posted at 2015-6-2 23:47
Thanks for the tip! I'll be trying it later. I'm at the point where I feel the Ronin M is good but ...

From what I've tried lowering the stiffness can make the footage more jerky (although lots of users of the ronin say that autotune over-stiffens the settings). Try lowering the pan stiffness, then pan left to right. You can see when you come to a stop the gimbal doesn't come to a rest smoothly, its as if it dabs on the breaks a few times. This goes away when you put the stiffness back up closer to the auto-tuned level. I have found I've had to lower the tilt stiffness for each auto tune I do. The motors judder when ever I put the gimbal in upright mode. You just turn it down a few notches. It might be a case of trial and error, although this becomes a bit harder if you're swapping cameras and lenses a lot.
2015-6-2
Use props
e.gargiulo
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5000 ft
Italy

hi my daddy.
perfect and very nice your video. Congratulations. Ok for the smooth panning ... but as do you eliminate bouncing up / down when walking? do you give me some advice? thank you
2016-4-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules