Minimum distance from airports?
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
suhentu
lvl.1

Italy

Hi there, I am having a look at the user manual but I can't find an answer to my question.
What i need to know is what is the minimum distance at which i will be able to take off with my P3P.
In particular the place where I'd like to fly at about 2,5 km from a minor local airport in Italy (Arbatax airport, ICAO code LIET).

Anyone can help me in finding the answer?

Thanks in advance

2015-6-1
Use props
jon.godfrey
lvl.3

United Kingdom

you can see the restrictions on the Map by the way... not sure of the "rules"...
2015-6-1
Use props
HEB1022
lvl.1
Flight distance : 25571 ft
United States

jon.godfrey Posted at 2015-6-2 04:42
you can see the restrictions on the Map by the way... not sure of the "rules"...

I checked the Atlanta airport, and the restricted area doesn't even cover the end of one of the major runways...but thing about all the cool shots you could get hovering at the end of the runway, while a 747 comes barreling down.  :-)

Atlanta Airport

Atlanta Airport
2015-6-1
Use props
suhentu
lvl.1

Italy

jon.godfrey Posted at 2015-6-2 04:42

that means the no fly zone is exactly the red circle on the dji's map?
2015-6-1
Use props
Brandon00151
lvl.3
Flight distance : 119137 ft
United States

HEB1022 Posted at 2015-6-2 05:25
I checked the Atlanta airport, and the restricted area doesn't even cover the end of one of the maj ...

If you can see the red circle on the map then that probably means you shouldn't fly anywhere near it either.
2015-6-1
Use props
jon.godfrey
lvl.3

United Kingdom

HEB1022 Posted at 2015-6-2 05:25
I checked the Atlanta airport, and the restricted area doesn't even cover the end of one of the maj ...

There are MANY errors in the no fly zone.  Our local but international airport is missing all together but another which closed four years ago and is now an industrial estate is covered.   There is an email address for you to report these issues to.

The system also warns you if you are close to an area I seem to recall.  Personally I stay well away.
2015-6-1
Use props
jon.godfrey
lvl.3

United Kingdom

suhentu Posted at 2015-6-2 06:33

Yes, correct... there are yellow warning zones too but I am not 100% sure.  I think these are warning zones where a height restriction applies.  I'll dig out the manual and have a read.
2015-6-1
Use props
nickmedici
lvl.3
Flight distance : 88287 ft
United States

The map just shows where you can and cannot operate the drone. You still might be breaking laws flying to close to the airport. You should be 5 miles away really. Don't cut it close and cause an issue.
2015-6-2
Use props
nickmedici
lvl.3
Flight distance : 88287 ft
United States

The map just shows where you can and cannot operate the drone. You still might be breaking laws flying to close to the airport. You should be 5 miles away really. Don't cut it close and cause an issue.
2015-6-2
Use props
suhentu
lvl.1

Italy

the airport its closed since some years ago due to low traffic so there's chances to interfere with the air traffic... anyway i will pay attention not to fly too close
2015-6-2
Use props
Antti
lvl.1

Finland

Don't trust DJI's maps! Get an official aeronautical chart and check what kind of airspace classes you are flying in. Some classes prohibit flying altogether and some require contacting ATC to get a permission.

If you are flying close to a controlled airport, you are most likely in their CTR-zone which starts from ground level and ends to around 1000-1500+feet (see your chart for exact values). AFAIK, CTR-zone is controlled airspace and requires contacting ATC. CTR-zone may be valid several tens of kms around airport. Uncontrolled airports are another story, but they may be in airspace class which require a radio for example.

My guess is that most UAV pilots don't know if they are flying legally or not.

PS. This stuff is new to me as well. I just ordered my P3P, but I have spent some time to learn the regulations... I kind of have to because I live between one major and one minor controlled airport. Major airport's CTR is around 30km wide... Minor's is around 3-5kms.
2015-6-4
Use props
Antti
lvl.1

Finland

http://maps.openaip.net/?lat=39. ... aip.net/node/155253

If you zoom in close enough you can see that there is some sort of airspace valid from ground to 2000' above ground level around the airport. There is also other airspaces close to the airport which are also valid from ground... Check your aeronautical chart what those are.
2015-6-4
Use props
dmwierz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 61427 ft
United States

This is what is programmed into your Phantom 3. You will NOT be able to fly here.

This is based on the FAA's database.

2015-6-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules