Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mavic Air: Compass Calibration FAIL when overseas
6461 62 2018-10-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans97280a8a
New

Brazil

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-11-7 01:09
I understand your concern and very sorry for the inconvenience. We've double checked with our engineers, this is related to the flying environment, instead of the country/region. In order to locate the exact reason, we would like to have the corresponding screenshots and flight data in the aircraft for further analysis. Speculation only leads to confusion, not solution, we appreciate your understanding and cooperation.

Also, if other users have the same experience, please contact us or our support here for further assistance, thank you!

Hi there, I’ve been having the same issue with my drone. I bought it literally 3 weeks ago for this trip to Brazil. I used it a couple of times in the US just to make sure everything was working fine. As soon as I stepped in Brazil, I can’t fly it anymore. I’ve tried calibrating 300 times and it doesn’t go through. Initially I though it could be from still in the concrete walls around me although I went to a rural area, very remote and the compass calibration still doesn’t go through. It’s very stressful and annoying when you can’t make it work. Please help !
2019-1-9
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

fans97280a8a Posted at 1-9 03:58
Hi there, I’ve been having the same issue with my drone. I bought it literally 3 weeks ago for this trip to Brazil. I used it a couple of times in the US just to make sure everything was working fine. As soon as I stepped in Brazil, I can’t fly it anymore. I’ve tried calibrating 300 times and it doesn’t go through. Initially I though it could be from still in the concrete walls around me although I went to a rural area, very remote and the compass calibration still doesn’t go through. It’s very stressful and annoying when you can’t make it work. Please help !

Sorry for the late response. Could you refer to 14# and provide us with more details? I'll collect and forward to our engineers for further analysis, thank you!
2019-1-12
Use props
djiuser_mWwJ4HKJp50G
lvl.1
France

Bonjour je n’arrive pas à étalonner le compas de mon Mavic Air HELP
2019-1-13
Use props
XplorerOnWheels
New
Argentina

I have exactly the same issue. traveling on motorcycle from US to Argentina and I can't calibrate the Mavic AIR. I get desperate when I read misleading answers or when I see they are asking for screenshots. I have carried the drone on the bike for 42 days to use it in Ushuaia and simply does not calibrate. any answers? Tks
2019-1-14
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Captain
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

XplorerOnWheels Posted at 1-14 19:17
I have exactly the same issue. traveling on motorcycle from US to Argentina and I can't calibrate the Mavic AIR. I get desperate when I read misleading answers or when I see they are asking for screenshots. I have carried the drone on the bike for 42 days to use it in Ushuaia and simply does not calibrate. any answers? Tks

dji's in app instructions are wrong, i reported this to an admin here, lets hope dji corrects these instructions.

when you calibrate the compass, follow the app's instructions for step 1 of spinning the drone flat out.   then for step 2 instead of turning the drone sideways like the app wrongly suggests, turn the drone so the camera facing the sky (so the dronne is up/down) and spin it around itself.  you should get a successful calibration and it shouldn't annoy you anymore unless near metal or something
2019-1-14
Use props
djiuser_G3omlkYyvYwl
New
Peru

Hi.

I have the exact problem. I'm from Sweden and I arrived in Peru last week can't calibrate it anywhere. Even with excellent interference on the compass. I've tried it so many times it's insane.  I've contacted DJi support no response.
2019-2-11
Use props
MAIRDA
lvl.3
United States

HereForTheBeer Posted at 1-14 19:57
dji's in app instructions are wrong, i reported this to an admin here, lets hope dji corrects these instructions.

when you calibrate the compass, follow the app's instructions for step 1 of spinning the drone flat out.   then for step 2 instead of turning the drone sideways like the app wrongly suggests, turn the drone so the camera facing the sky (so the dronne is up/down) and spin it around itself.  you should get a successful calibration and it shouldn't annoy you anymore unless near metal or something

Don't know what you are talking about... I've tried all methods of calibration with my Mavic Air.  But the methods that work in the US, including what is in the app, and others I've seen on youtube, do not work when in South America or Marshall Islands.

It has nothing to do with magnetic interference, watches, or method.  There is either a hardware or a firmware issue with Mavic Air and DJI does not address it.

My Mavic Air has worked in Oregon, California and even Hawaii!!!  But I took it out of the country twice and it never calibrated, using the same methods that calibrate compass in the US.

My Mavic Pro, on the other hand, does not need calibration as often and calibrates on first try, including when I take it abroad.  There is a difference between these two drones.  The answer is there. DJI knows it.  I bought the Mavic Air because it is lighter and packs smaller than the Mavic Pro. Instead, now I take the Mavic Pro, I pack only one extra battery and do not bring the hub to charge batteries simultaneously.  Then it packs just slightly larger than the Mavic Air with three batteries.

I would recommend returning the Mavic Air, it is the only solution up to now.

Thanks.
2019-2-11
Use props
MAIRDA
lvl.3
United States

djiuser_G3omlkYyvYwl Posted at 2-11 14:17
Hi.

I have the exact problem. I'm from Sweden and I arrived in Peru last week can't calibrate it anywhere. Even with excellent interference on the compass. I've tried it so many times it's insane.  I've contacted DJi support no response.

Good luck getting a solution from DJI. They don't have one or are not interested in helping us out.  They will ask for the compass data when it fails to calibrate. And then do not provide an answer.  This topic is more than one year old, many others have come here to tell about this very problem, and where's the solution?  
2019-2-11
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Captain
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

MAIRDA Posted at 2-11 22:25
Don't know what you are talking about... I've tried all methods of calibration with my Mavic Air.  But the methods that work in the US, including what is in the app, and others I've seen on youtube, do not work when in South America or Marshall Islands.

It has nothing to do with magnetic interference, watches, or method.  There is either a hardware or a firmware issue with Mavic Air and DJI does not address it.

i was having constant calibration errors here in the US, every flight to every other flight, when i was following the directions.. calibration failures only happened maybe 20% of the time following the app directions in a empty field.. however doing old school method fixed it for me, haven't been requested a calibration since (unless i boot it up near my car)    so i was just sharing this hoping it would resolve other people's issues...   

makes little sense doesn't work in another country...  does yours show a high compass bias value or just show an compass error on boot but low bias?   
2019-2-11
Use props
MAIRDA
lvl.3
United States

HereForTheBeer Posted at 2-11 22:59
i was having constant calibration errors here in the US, every flight to every other flight, when i was following the directions.. calibration failures only happened maybe 20% of the time following the app directions in a empty field.. however doing old school method fixed it for me, haven't been requested a calibration since (unless i boot it up near my car)    so i was just sharing this hoping it would resolve other people's issues...   

makes little sense doesn't work in another country...  does yours show a high compass bias value or just show an compass error on boot but low bias?

It is what it is... it is NOT a calibration method. It is IMPOSSIBLE to calibrate in certain locations of the world.  Here in the US, it is all good, it requires calibration but it CALIBRATES eventually.

Thank you.
2019-2-12
Use props
Guillo10
lvl.4
Flight distance : 413 ft
Argentina

Hello
demagnetizer of compass.
Either with magnets or tools for that purpose, all those who can not fly, repair it with this and fly without ever asking to calibrate, youtube several videos showing. And the exclusive tool for dji ????

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CFixer/ ... wIBJail-x:rk:1:pf:0

regards
2019-2-12
Use props
MAIRDA
lvl.3
United States

Guillo10 Posted at 2-12 15:33
Hello
demagnetizer of compass.
Either with magnets or tools for that purpose, all those who can not fly, repair it with this and fly without ever asking to calibrate, youtube several videos showing. And the exclusive tool for dji ????

Hey folks! If your Mavic Air has problems calibrating overseas, like mine, it is very likely NOT a magnetization problem.  In my case, as soon as I was back in the US the Mavic Air flew without a problem.  It is not a magnetization problem or it would not fly when back home like nothing had happened.  Don't waste your money!
Thanks!
2019-2-12
Use props
fans41a92cbc
lvl.1
Brazil

Hí Mairda,

Funny you mentioned Brazil. We bought a Mavic Air e few months ago in São Paulo. Haven't be able to fly this extremely expensive (R$ 5.200,00 = USD 1320,00) drone. It has been back twice to technical support of DJI. This is a third party company in the backcountry of São Paulo. They showed me a film of a drone flying over a landscape filled with cows and grass. They also told me that is was my drone they were flying.

I received an e-mail from Realyn from DJI stating that my drone has no problems and she wrote: "No entanto, não podemos garantir que não vai aparecer o problema de calibração de bússola se o senhor insistir ficar em um lugar com muitas interferências de metal."  

Meaning in English: However, we can not guarantee that the compass calibration problem will not appear if you insist on staying in a places with many metal interferences.

I live in São Paulo. Work with Solar Energy and would like to use the drone to evaluate rooftops. I explained this to REALYN.  I even told them that I would except to upgrade to en Mavic Pro and pay the diference.

NOW I have a drone that won't fly. The only thing that I can do is make stupid youtube videos about calibrating the drone without succes until I find a place with NO interference.

Hope you solved your problem!
Best regards,
2019-4-18
Use props
rnelias
lvl.1
Flight distance : 369042 ft
Brazil

same problem here...

I live in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil and today I headed to the same spot I've already flown with my Mavic Air and it asked for calibration. After several trials in different spots and conditions, all of them showing a low magnetic interference in DJI app, with no success. Now I have an expensive paper weight laying on my desk...

It's interesting because I have already flown this same Mavic Air and cellphone before in the same spot but now it cannot take off due to the calibration issue. The only difference was the firmware update (app 4.3.20/Android/Galaxy S9, remote controller 01.00.0200, database 01.00.01.15)

My guess is the weird magnet. deviation our planet is having now... for instance... here in Rio de Janeiro we're now with -22.6 degrees while in Oregon, for instance, it's 15 degrees

You can check your data here...

http://www.magnetic-declination.com/

DISCLAIMER: It's just my only guess about a problem that DJI was not able to solve yet as I can see from the previous messages
2019-6-17
Use props
fans73e65a86
New

Argentina

MAIRDA Posted at 2018-11-6 10:02
I just got a private message from someone else indicating same problem with his/her Mavic Air.  He/she lives in Brazil.  How many cases are there?  There are four threads, that I know, on this issue here. And not all of the people with this problem are posting here.  Come on, DJI, tell us what you know!

having same problem. I live in Argentina.. I only got to fly 2 times of 100 tries... DJI people never answered me.
2019-6-22
Use props
Guillo10
lvl.4
Flight distance : 413 ft
Argentina

Hola

Siguen con los problemas de brujula o lo solucionaron ?

Muchas Gracias
2019-6-23
Use props
ArielSbg
lvl.1
Brazil

Same problem here. Just bought a Mavic Air in Helsinki and brought it to Sao Paulo. It won't calibrate the compass anywhere.

I was able to fly it a couple of times indoors when there was no gps signal. As soon as the GPS signal is acquired, it raises the compass error and refuses to fly. That's seems  to be another pretty solid evidence that the error is location-based.

I did every possible calibration movement possible, nothing works. I removed my watch, phones, even my shoes, did it on the middle of a field. Nothing works.

Come on DJI, do something asap, or we will start a ... storm your way.

Frustrated here.
2019-6-30
Use props
MAIRDA
lvl.3
United States

ArielSbg Posted at 6-30 04:16
Same problem here. Just bought a Mavic Air in Helsinki and brought it to Sao Paulo. It won't calibrate the compass anywhere.

I was able to fly it a couple of times indoors when there was no gps signal. As soon as the GPS signal is acquired, it raises the compass error and refuses to fly. That's seems  to be another pretty solid evidence that the error is location-based.

Thank you for bringing this up.  I can't believe why DJI does not:

1) acknowledge that this is an issue based on location; and
2) provide a solution (very likely software based).

Now my DJI Mavic Air (POS)no longert fly even in the USA... now there is a remote controller data error. What an awesome product (sarcasm).
2019-7-6
Use props
MAIRDA
lvl.3
United States

fans41a92cbc Posted at 4-18 06:53
Hí Mairda,

Funny you mentioned Brazil. We bought a Mavic Air e few months ago in São Paulo. Haven't be able to fly this extremely expensive (R$ 5.200,00 = USD 1320,00) drone. It has been back twice to technical support of DJI. This is a third party company in the backcountry of São Paulo. They showed me a film of a drone flying over a landscape filled with cows and grass. They also told me that is was my drone they were flying.

This is obviously bull....  They are simply NOT BELIEVING THE USER.  They are BLAMING THE USER and not their product.  It is not magnetic interference... it is something else!
2019-7-6
Use props
MAIRDA
lvl.3
United States

This is to DJI:  The problem IS NOT MAGNETIC INTERFERENCE!  It is geographic location in the bigger sense of geography.  Are you going to fix this issue or are you going to continue to blame the operators?
2019-7-6
Use props
MAIRDA
lvl.3
United States

fans41a92cbc Posted at 4-18 06:53
Hí Mairda,

If you were in the United States you could get your money back or sue them in case they do not oblige. Obviously the product does not work as advertised, and they, trying to blame you, is a strategy to avoid their loss.  It means only one thing: you lose.
2019-7-6
Use props
mochilaycamara
lvl.1
Flight distance : 69350 ft
Peru

Any resolution about this? I’m in Peru for my 2nd time with my Mavic Air and it want flight, always giving the compass error, the same as the first time I was here. This is annoying and only happening here, no problem in Spain, Columbia, Bulgaria and Thailand.
151325A1-1172-438E-9B27-33CBFC99B970.png
687B2529-4308-4D70-8C7C-D243AEBD27B0.png
65CC0EA9-B47E-4614-B69E-0263CF6951F0.png
2019-11-15
Use props
djiuser_mV4G7gL8Dm1M
New

Brazil

ArielSbg Posted at 6-30 04:16

Hi,
I’m having the same issue with flying my almost new mavic air in brazil. Basically i bought the drone for this trip and i can’t use it anywhere here. I managed to get it flying inside a restaurant on ATT mode, deactivated the sensors and went outside through the window and it flew perfectly. As soon as I landed it, it started again with the calibration.
I have trying all the methods one can find over the internet and couldn’t find a solution to this. It simply does not work in Brazil.Please note that this drone has been initially used in Ireland(no matter how big the interference was and i haven’t had an issue with it) then used in eastern europe.
Before going to Brazil, i’ve used it in istanbul in very heavy interference and i had no issues at all.
Here in Brazil i tried recalibrating it in the middle of a golf club with no interference and it couldnt calibrate. Asked a friend with an old phantom and he didn’t have a problem with it. Spent 1049 euro for nothing.any thoughts dji?

2019-12-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules