Flight safety
1802 9 2015-6-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Claude Kopter
lvl.1

United States

I'd like to raise a new thread concernng safety of flying in an area where people are present. Whether it's 1 or 100 people.

After watching Enrique Iglesias try to control a quadcopter by hand and basically taking the pilot out of control it got me thinking. He had a serious injury and is very lucky the quadcopter did not fall out of control.

We all know the blades on quadcopters can be fatal. If a quadcopter were to go out of control and strike someone under power there could easily be a fatal accident if the right artery or vein was hit.

My question is, should there be a master kill switch on the quadcopter? There is a much greater chance of surviving a quadcopter strike if it is not under power. Of couse weight is a consideration.

As the pilot of a vehicle that has the potential of causing injury I would would prefer to sacrifice my Phantom than cause injury.

Has anyone tried to kill power to a Phantom 2 during flight? I know i haven't. What happens?

Thanks, all replies and discussion are welcome.
2015-6-1
Use props
Godfrey
lvl.2

China

The manual says if you do a CSC mid-flight, it will shut down the motors and the phantom will drop to the ground. That's my emergency button. Cheers.
2015-6-1
Use props
johnwarr
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6467 ft
United Kingdom

"We all know the blades on quadcopters can be fatal"
Do we ? Has there ever been a quadcopter related fatality ?

"should there be a master kill switch on the quadcopter ?"
Yes, its called the CSC Cross Sticks Command and its used to start and stop the motors instantly.

2015-6-1
Use props
Raybro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11099 ft
United States

I was thinking about trying this after tipping mine on landing......I changed my mind...
http://youtu.be/ji3Hii_LZOc
2015-6-1
Use props
droneflyers.com
lvl.4
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

A Phantom will cause a death someday - - probably soon.

But chairs, tables, toasters, cars and everything else does also.

Any master switch that's easy to activate will probably cause more problems than it solves.....but, yeah, the CSC is the way to go!
2015-6-1
Use props
roy
lvl.4

United States

Right now drone are in everyone's mind. We're not getting a very good name as all the publicity to sell the papers and articles are always negative. We need some good publicity but right now everyone is looking at the bad and so is the FCC . To much bad is going to cause a lot of unnecessary rules be place on flying as to what we can and can't do. We all need to be aware of our surroundings and fly safe and be safe. To may people act like these are toys but they are a component that can be dangerous just like an uncontrolled car. Think , think and think some more before flying over crowds of people or anywhere you could put someone at risk. Fly safe and be safe!
2015-6-2
Use props
Raybro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11099 ft
United States

http://diydrones.com/profiles/bl ... 000-volt-power-line
2015-6-2
Use props
fwickeha
lvl.4
Flight distance : 173455 ft

United States

Raybro Posted at 2015-6-2 23:01
http://diydrones.com/profiles/blogs/drone-stuck-on-115-000-volt-power-line

Another "Seattle does it again" story.  Interesting that the operator of the Quad is not identified in the story.
"Seattle police took custody of the drone, hoping to find out who owns it."
Hope whoever he or she is, that they have good liability insurance.  They will need it.
2015-6-2
Use props
HermosaDrones
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3160344 ft
  • >>>

just make sure you have the "manual" setting programmed onto your gps/atti/??? switch.  it will drop like a rock but can also be overridden if you're quick.  be sure to practice this in a safe area first.  the manual switch is instantaneous and it drops hard.
2015-6-4
Use props
JATO
lvl.4

United States

After my wife purchased me a Phantom for Christmas I got into RC helicopters. One of the first things I learned was to program a throttle cut-off switch on the controller. I personally would like it better if the Phantom had an instant one button shut-off switch instead of the CSC.  

In addition to not doing as much damage to a person or property if the craft goes in not under power the craft itself will sustain less damage.

2015-6-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules