Motors stuttering
1504 11 2018-10-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MozMoz4000
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Hi,
I've had my Spark around 5 months. The battery that came with it seems to be problematic. It doesn't always show as charging when placed in the DJI charger and now whenever I launch the drone with this battery the motors stutter, it descends quickly and hard into the ground or veers uncontrollably.

This doesn't happen with other batteries. I've recalibrated controllers, ICU, compass and changed props. All to no avail. I'm nervous to launch it now in case it crashes and breaks the drone completely. I've looked around on forums, Google, YouTube etc and it all seems to point to a battery fault. To have a shelf life of five months is pretty poor, particularly under a 12 month warranty.
2018-10-10
Use props
ssylca44
First Officer
Flight distance : 434721 ft
Canada

Could it be bad contacts with this specific battery? In any case, don't use it anymore as you may be losing the AC.
2018-10-10
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, Sorry for the troubles that it caused. Would it be possible if you can provide a screenshot of this concern while charging your battery? What happened to your battery prior to experience this concern? Please let us know on the latest progress for further assistance.
2018-10-10
Use props
MozMoz4000
lvl.1
United Kingdom

DJI Tony Posted at 2018-10-10 09:59
Hi, Sorry for the troubles that it caused. Would it be possible if you can provide a screenshot of this concern while charging your battery? What happened to your battery prior to experience this concern? Please let us know on the latest progress for further assistance.

A screenshot of my battery not working properly?
2018-10-10
Use props
fans71eb801d
lvl.2
Flight distance : 617257 ft
United Kingdom

This sounds very similar to what happened to me when flying over water.

Mine sounded like it was cutting out but had full power and was hoovering in and down without my input.

It then just smashed down into the water while I was pushing up on the stick.

I have a case with support hoping they will replace it
2018-10-10
Use props
pmshop
First Officer
Flight distance : 8073271 ft
  • >>>
United States

I had that situation once as you described.
When I pushed the Spark in that condition to 1640ft, I took my eyes off the screen for a few seconds, looked back and I was at 1700ft...then 1800ft...1900ft.
Finally at 1920ft, I got the craft to respond and brought it home.
I turned it in to service, never found out why it happened but got a serviceable Spark in exchange...no DJI Care Refresh.
2018-10-10
Use props
Tentoes
First Officer
Flight distance : 6018255 ft
United States

I don't think I would fly that battery. Get in touch with DJI quick as batteries have a short warranty.
2018-10-10
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

MozMoz4000 Posted at 2018-10-10 10:01
A screenshot of my battery not working properly?

Hi,  Thanks for your response. I would recommend sending the unit to our facility so that we could provide a proper resolution on this while the battery is not yet out of the warranty. You can reach our team for further help. Please see the link below.

www.dji.com/support
2018-10-11
Use props
fans8ebf981a
New
United States

DJI Tony Posted at 2018-10-11 09:33
Hi,  Thanks for your response. I would recommend sending the unit to our facility so that we could provide a proper resolution on this while the battery is not yet out of the warranty. You can reach our team for further help. Please see the link below.

www.dji.com/support

Hi all.  Was this issue resolved?  My Spark, just purchased early Jan 2019, is doing the same thing as the others posted here.   What is my best course of action?
2019-3-10
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

fans8ebf981a Posted at 3-10 15:06
Hi all.  Was this issue resolved?  My Spark, just purchased early Jan 2019, is doing the same thing as the others posted here.   What is my best course of action?

Hi, we're sorry to know about this situation. Do you have an extra battery? If so, did you manage to try it with different batteries to easily isolate the problem? Have you tried re-calibrating the IMU and compass? Please keep us posted on the latest progress. Thank you for continued support.
2019-3-11
Use props
fans8ebf981a
New
United States

DJI Tony Posted at 3-11 08:54
Hi, we're sorry to know about this situation. Do you have an extra battery? If so, did you manage to try it with different batteries to easily isolate the problem? Have you tried re-calibrating the IMU and compass? Please keep us posted on the latest progress. Thank you for continued support.

I may have identified the issue.   After a few run ins with branches over the first couple months of ownership, the original propellers that came with it were a bit banged up.  I purchased two new sets online and rather than replacing all four at once I just replaced the one or two that were damaged.  Today I replaced all four with a new set and while it stuttered during the first take off, it seemed to self calibrate to the new propellers and it operated fine thereafter, landing, takeoff and flight.  I will report back after flying it more to confirm the issue is resolved.  
2019-3-11
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

fans8ebf981a Posted at 3-11 16:14
I may have identified the issue.   After a few run ins with branches over the first couple months of ownership, the original propellers that came with it were a bit banged up.  I purchased two new sets online and rather than replacing all four at once I just replaced the one or two that were damaged.  Today I replaced all four with a new set and while it stuttered during the first take off, it seemed to self calibrate to the new propellers and it operated fine thereafter, landing, takeoff and flight.  I will report back after flying it more to confirm the issue is resolved.

HI, thanks for your update. Please fly your aircraft at low altitude if you will test the aircraft. Kindly keep us posted on the latest progress. Thank you for continued support.
2019-3-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules