Stupid question: squeezed battery safe to use?
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
stupidquestion
New

United States

So I left my friend alone with my new P3P for a few minutes as I went to deal with the BBQ, and I came back to him squeezing the (fully charged) battery pack saying "oh these things are a bit squishy". I'm worried that he damaged the battery by squashing it.

I explained how sensitive LiPos are but he didn't really seem to understand. There was no dent in the cell he was squeezing (or anywhere else for that matter). I haven't had a chance to try it out yet (beyond turning it on and seeing what the app reports - all cells looked fine, normal voltage). All I'm worried about is: a broken battery, reduced battery life, bursting into flames next time I charge it, bursting into flames when I next fly it, and the flying spaghetti monster devouring me. I'm ultra paranoid about my Phantom so please just tell me I'm being stupid and let me get back on with my life without worrying?

Thanks!
2015-6-1
Use props
s_nyky.yahoo
lvl.2

Canada

Time to start looking for different friends!!
2015-6-1
Use props
mswall
lvl.4
Flight distance : 39695 ft
United States

Show him where the order page is for a new P3 battery.  
2015-6-1
Use props
stupidquestion
New

United States

...really?

I mean there's no visible damage and I have no idea how hard he was pressing. The battery appears normal. How do I actually know if it's damaged?
2015-6-1
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Yeah, damage battery or not, he damaged your valuable friendship more, by being a total rear-end...
Show the loser the back door, if he won't cough up your deserved $150.00.

I hate people who are so disrespectful that they have no regard for others property or valued possessions.

Kick him to the curb, and don't even look back...

Thanks for sharing.
By the way, I have squeezed some of my  smaller Lipo batteries, and they all work just fine. Not to worry.

Dr.Chas-THC
2015-6-1
Use props
stupidquestion
New

United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2015-6-2 09:34
Yeah, damage battery or not, he damaged your valuable friendship more, by being a total rear-end...

Well, he wasn't disrespectful about it, he just didn't understand how sensitive LiPos are. He's really not a bad guy, perhaps I made him out to be haha. It's really not worth ruining our friendship over!

He was just curious about it, I don't even know if he pressed it hard at all.

Good to know that your LiPos worked fine though. When you say squeezed, how hard? Kind of subjective I guess!
2015-6-1
Use props
mswall
lvl.4
Flight distance : 39695 ft
United States

Squeeze his girlfriend.  Tell him you were just curious...
2015-6-1
Use props
Michael M
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1984898 ft
Canada

mswall@mac.com Posted at 2015-6-2 10:59

Haha!! Lmao!!!
2015-6-1
Use props
Michael M
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1984898 ft
Canada

mswall@mac.com Posted at 2015-6-2 10:59

Haha!! Lmao!!!
2015-6-1
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Yeah, oh well. You went back and edited your first post, so, no he wasn't being disrespectful in the second writing... ;-)
I have four quads which all take different sized batteries, they are all sort of soft, like there is air in there and it's sealed in.
By squeezing, I mean, I just wanted to see if the air could be squeezed out, but they are closed cells. So I wasn't white knuckling it, no not too tight, but firm enough.
Just think of the crashes and hits these things take upon impact of the ground, trees and building they snack into.
I wouldn't worry about that battery too much.
Tell your Friend, to Please be more inquisitive verbally, rather than physically, by not man handling the merch.

Monitor the battery for awhile, each time you use and recharge it. Make notes on battery levels and your usage.
Don't fret, it will be fine. But Kick him in the pants, firm, but not too hard... ;-)
Then you will feel much better.

Remind him, that these RC models and peripherals are at a rather higher price point, than most other RC stuff, and the expense of replacement isn't something that you want to proceed with. If he wants to buy you a new $150.00 battery, by all means, please do so.

RedHotPoker
2015-6-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules