KP index says i'm currently in a geomagnetic storm
4158 39 2018-10-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Anthony8858
lvl.4
Flight distance : 9711 ft

Preflight quick check in "drone buddy" for wind speed, KP index, restrictions..

For whatever reason, today's KP index was a shocking 7.
Normal is 1 or 2.

Would you fly?
I chose not to and play it safe.
2018-10-13
Use props
msinger
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

The KP index will likely never have a noticeable effect on your DJI drones.
2018-10-13
Use props
Anthony8858
lvl.4
Flight distance : 9711 ft

msinger Posted at 2018-10-13 12:59
The KP index will likely never have a noticeable effect on your DJI drones.

Thank you.

I assumed there was some significance since it was part of the drone app.
2018-10-13
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Anthony8858 Posted at 2018-10-13 13:05
Thank you.

People will argue the merits or otherwise of the KP index until the cows come home. Some, like me, think it is pure BS and take absolutely no notice of it.
2018-10-13
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Anthony8858 Posted at 2018-10-13 13:05
Thank you.

The app you are likely referring to has a bunch of default settings that are pretty useless.
It seems to think that cloud cover is also bad for flying.
If the KP index truly was a serious consideration, you'd expect thousands of flyers to have been affected,
So far it's not affected anyone.
It's just another of the myths you run into in this game.
2018-10-13
Use props
Country
lvl.2

I use UAV forecast as a quick reference.  It has KP index as one of the items reported upon.  About 2 years ago I was flying a Blade Chroma and the KP index was at 7 and I lost GPS lock and the drone took off like it had a mind of its own.  Last I saw it it was heading over some tall pine trees next to a lake.  I hoped that it landed in the top of the trees but I never found it and assume it ended up in the lake.  Now the Chroma is no where near the class of drone that DJI puts out but I don't dismiss the KP index.  If the KP index is above 6 I do my best not to fly and explain to my clients that there is a solar storm.
2018-10-13
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Country Posted at 2018-10-13 18:44
I use UAV forecast as a quick reference.  It has KP index as one of the items reported upon.  About 2 years ago I was flying a Blade Chroma and the KP index was at 7 and I lost GPS lock and the drone took off like it had a mind of its own.  Last I saw it it was heading over some tall pine trees next to a lake.  I hoped that it landed in the top of the trees but I never found it and assume it ended up in the lake.  Now the Chroma is no where near the class of drone that DJI puts out but I don't dismiss the KP index.  If the KP index is above 6 I do my best not to fly and explain to my clients that there is a solar storm.

I don't dismiss the KP index.  If the KP index is above 6 I do my best not to fly and explain to my clients that there is a solar storm.
It's a myth.
If it had any truth, you'd get thousands of users having troubles every time the Kp Index gets up .... but it never happens.
Your incident was something else.
If you had recorded flight data, it could be investigated to show the cause.
2018-10-13
Use props
Altitude Drones
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1488520 ft

Just research what a solar storm can do to electronic devices such as satellite and telecommunication systems.

If agencies like NASA and the Military think it's a serious issue to their equipment, then I'd say it could effect your drone too.
2018-10-13
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Altitude Drones Posted at 2018-10-13 23:56
Just research what a solar storm can do to electronic devices such as satellite and telecommunication systems.

If agencies like NASA and the Military think it's a serious issue to their equipment, then I'd say it could effect your drone too.

OK ... now just show us any time that thousands of drones have been hit by a KP index at 7 or 8.
You won't even find one drone affected because it's never happened despite many times the index has been that high.
It's a ridiculous hyped myth.
Not a shred of evidence exists to back it up.
2018-10-14
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>

It's extremely unlikely that any of our drones would ever be affected by solar activity. If the drones were flying in space without the protection of Earths magnetic field, or connected to many miles of copper cable then I might be concerned. And recorded disruption to GPS seems to be so brief that it's almost meaningless. It's a bit like waiting for the next asteroid to hit the Earth.
2018-10-14
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Nobody should let superstitions keep them from flying.
2018-10-14
Use props
Altitude Drones
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1488520 ft

Cool.

I guess you guys answered differently when taking your exams to fly legally and safely.

It is unlikely but it is a risk and would invalidate my insurance if I flew in a solar storm and lost control. Reason being I've been educated not to do so by people who don't include superstition as part of there risk assessment.

2018-10-14
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, Thanks for your inquiry. Hope you'll get the best explanation from our valued customers who are using this specific third-party application. Thank you for the support.
2018-10-14
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
United States

Altitude Drones Posted at 2018-10-14 10:53
Cool.

I guess you guys answered differently when taking your exams to fly legally and safely.

Did they mention Friday the 13th?  Now that's a truly no fly day.
2018-10-14
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>

Here's a nice example of the results of a Solar storm being recorded by a professional  https://www.naturettl.com/stunni ... ts-filmed-by-drone/

I wonder what his KP index would've shown ?
2018-10-14
Use props
msinger
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

It is unlikely but it is a risk and would invalidate my insurance if I flew in a solar storm and lost control.

Can you point us to a single case from the last 12 years where it was proven that a solar storm caused a DJI drone to crash (or at least caused the pilot to lose control)?
2018-10-14
Use props
rwynant V1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4842277 ft
  • >>>

I can't see where you are,  but this CAN Happen.......

https://www.faasafety.gov/files/ ... Flight_Advisory.pdf

If you are in close proximity, then GPS reception may throw your drone into  ATTI Mode......but I would think that's all that would happen.

Randy
2018-10-14
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

I'm in a geometric storm right now and I barely have control but I think it's just the hot wings
2018-10-14
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
United States

LOL@ Mark.  Burn up a controller in a heartbeat.
2018-10-14
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>

Mark The Droner Posted at 2018-10-14 14:32
I'm in a geometric storm right now and I barely have control but I think it's just the hot wings

Not a touch of the old Johhny Cash is it :-)
2018-10-14
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Cool.

Legally ??   What's legally got to do with it?

It is unlikely but it is a risk and would invalidate my insurance if I flew in a solar storm and lost control.
Fly in a solar storm all you like, it's not going to make you lose control.

Reason being I've been educated not to do so by people who don't include superstition as part of there risk assessment.
It sounds like you have been listening to folks that don't understand the issues and pass on ignorant superstition.

Here's a piece explaining what the potential issues could be.
It makes a change from people who have no idea simply passing on ignorance, myth and superstition.

https://phantompilots.com/threads/solar-flares.35796/post-331319

2018-10-14
Use props
Kuya Kano
Second Officer
Flight distance : 797913 ft
Philippines

This KP index thing is new to the non-celestrial observer and for some reason is becoming included in many broadcast medias.  Personally, unless there is a major solar flare powerful enough to blackout and fry everything on earth, I don't see any reason for giving it any attention.  Furthermore, if such a solar discharge occurred, there is little time and little you can do about it, thus I still wouldn't worry about it.
2018-10-14
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Let me start off by saying i ignored any and all kp warnings, i think i set it so high i dont get any from the app, that being said.......

Reading , L's link tells me that the OP was NOT talking gibberish or superstitious claptrap, and that it is NOT a myth you all keep talking about, i mean, 100ft is a long way in an urban environment in my book and if the storm could have an effect on the ac be it directly or indirectly then perhaps the KP index should be of concern, more so to the persons in a work environment when they are insured and if that insurance is based on all safety precautions met.  
2018-10-14
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Bashy Posted at 2018-10-14 19:42
Let me start off by saying i ignored any and all kp warnings, i think i set it so high i dont get any from the app, that being said.......

Reading , L's link tells me that the OP was NOT talking gibberish or superstitious claptrap, and that it is NOT a myth you all keep talking about, i mean, 100ft is a long way in an urban environment in my book and if the storm could have an effect on the ac be it directly or indirectly then perhaps the KP index should be of concern, more so to the persons in a work environment when they are insured and if that insurance is based on all safety precautions met.

Given all the people and systems that rely on GPS, it would be raised to the level of National Emergency if it had the effect that is reported, but it is yet another storm in a teacup, much like the Y2K fiasco was. It gets reported by people who do not have a clue technically and then amplified to a hysterical level by those same people. Solar storms have an effect on radio communications, we have known this for almost as long as radio has been around, but it is at the level of annoyance, not critical.
2018-10-14
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Bashy Posted at 2018-10-14 19:42

Reading , L's link tells me that the OP was NOT talking gibberish or superstitious claptrap, and that it is NOT a myth you all keep talking about, i mean, 100ft is a long way in an urban environment in my book and if the storm could have an effect on the ac be it directly or indirectly then perhaps the KP index should be of concern, more so to the persons in a work environment when they are insured and if that insurance is based on all safety precautions met.

You should read it again.
The post was explaining that even in an 8 or 9 (not a 7 like the OP is talking about), flyers aren't going to lose control of their drones.
He says that in a high index event, the worst that would happen is that the GPS might give a position that is out by less than 100 feet.
But even then, that would not affect control, certainly not cause the drone to fly away.

I've been flying nearly five years now and have read high KP index warnings many, many times.
I'm still waiting to hear of the first case of anyone having any issue that can be attributed to high KP index conditions.
Given the hundreds of thousands of dranes that are flying these days, we should be seeing thousands of drones getting into trouble, to say nothing of the planes and ships that rely on GPS.
We'd have millions of drivers noticing major issues on their car GPS units too .....

By the time the KP index is high enough to have an effect on drone flight, drones will be the last thing you'll be concerned about.

BUT we still haven't seen anything to suport the widespread myths about the KP index.
Zip, zilch, nix, nil, nada, not even one, none at all.

2018-10-15
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
United States

As a new pilot, it is sensible to be concerned about the KP index.  If you research what it is, it makes perfect sense that it could cause problems with RC GPS flight.  This is reinforced when you see it listed on places like uavforecast.  But the truth is, I haven't seen a single post from a single drone pilot who claims he had an issue with his drone during a high KP index flight.  I also haven't heard of anybody else who claims they've read a single post from a single pilot who claims he had an issue with his drone during a high KP index flight.   Not on this site, or any site.  Or any other place.  Or in an article.  Or in verbal conversation.  Not in an email.  Not in a text.  Not on youtube.  Nothing.  
2018-10-15
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Even so, worst case scenario means  there is a risk however slight it may be, therefore a myth it cannot be , not wouldnt you agree?  thats what i was saying and only saying what i see, now, how folks use that information is up to them i suppose, is it worth factoring it in to the risk mitigation, who knows, it  could impede on an insurance claim? HIGHLY likely, you know what insurance companies can be like, if theres a reason that they can find, they will use it....
2018-10-15
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Bashy Posted at 2018-10-15 03:00
Even so, worst case scenario means  there is a risk however slight it may be, therefore a myth it cannot be , not wouldnt you agree?  thats what i was saying and only saying what i see, now, how folks use that information is up to them i suppose, is it worth factoring it in to the risk mitigation, who knows, it  could impede on an insurance claim? HIGHLY likely, you know what insurance companies can be like, if theres a reason that they can find, they will use it....

Why is it that facts are so much harder to accept than myths for which there is no evidence??
Why is it that this forum is so full of myths and superstition and people that adhere to them, even when the facts are presented multiple times?

1.  There is no evidence to say anything would happen.
2.  If something did happen, it's not even going to be noticeable in KP 5, 6 or 7 <- what the OP is talking about.

If you went out in KP>8 there would be a small influencethat would have no effect on your flying but could make your RTH point off by a relatively small distance.
And that's it for a worst case scenario.
That's it.   Nothing to make you lose control or have the drone fly away.
Your GPS is already off by 1-3 metres anyway even in perfect conditions and you don't notice it.
If it was off by 2-3 times that much in a higher KP index that the OP is asking about you probably still wouldn't notice.

Now since we have more than a million drones out there and millions of other GPS users and still no-one has ever noticed any issue, despite a number of these high KP incidents over the last few years, I believe that the sky is not falling and the KP effect on drone flying is right up there with zombie attack on the list of serious concerns.

2018-10-15
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

If you went out in KP>8 there would be a small influencethat would have no effect on your flying but could make your RTH point off by a relatively small distance.

Right, so NOT A MYTH then is it!

No matter how small that risk  is, its still RISK!!!!!

You were the one that pointed to that thread with your link, that thread clearly states that its possible.

As for your zombie rhetoric's.......................
2018-10-15
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Bashy Posted at 2018-10-15 20:07

Right, so NOT A MYTH then is it!

If you could read, you'd understand that there's no risk.
I'm sick of typing the same stuff for someone that can't tell the difference between hype and reality.
I can't help it if your reading comprehension is no good.

if you want to be concerned about risks to your flying, there are plenty of real ones that claim Phantoms every week.
Things like flying close to your house, trees, powerlines etc.
Flying downwind in strong winds.
Flying behind obstacles and having the RTH height set too low.
launching from reinforced concrete or steel surfaces.
Launching with a half flat battery.
Those are things that flyers really need to be aware of and consciously avoid.
Never mind the stupid imaginary KP index risk.
No-one has ever had it affect their drone.
2018-10-15
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Dont presume to tell me what i can and cannot do, you posted the stuff, now its backfired, theres "some" risk, end of, take it like a man and walk away, wouldnt be the 1st time  youve not apologised for for being wrong, stop trying to add crap to your post to try to justify it, it wont wash with me, call it imaginary all you like, the post you linked to said theres risk, you yourself has also agreed  there is, regardless as it how small that risk is, risk is risk, call it how ever you choose, thats your choice, all you are doing now is making a fool of yourself, if you are sick of typing, then stop, walk away like i said.

Lets just sum up shall we...

You called it a myth
You call it an imaginary risk
You linked to a post that says its not a myth because its saying there is some risk (therefore not imaginary)
You yourself said,  but could make your RTH point off by a relatively small distance. And that's it for a worst case scenario.  that means you agree with your linked information, therefore you agree with something thats imaginary yes? no, you've agree that its not a myth

With that in mind its no longer a myth

Admit it, you made a mythtake and now you're trying to save face but failing.
On that note and to save just repeating and going round in circles, im out
2018-10-15
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Bashy Posted at 2018-10-15 22:27
Dont presume to tell me what i can and cannot do, you posted the stuff, now its backfired, theres "some" risk, end of, take it like a man and walk away, wouldnt be the 1st time  youve not apologised for for being wrong, stop trying to add crap to your post to try to justify it, it wont wash with me, call it imaginary all you like, the post you linked to said theres risk, you yourself has also agreed  there is, regardless as it how small that risk is, risk is risk, call it how ever you choose, thats your choice, all you are doing now is making a fool of yourself, if you are sick of typing, then stop, walk away like i said.

Lets just sum up shall we...

it wont wash with me
That's because you are just thick.
Too thick to even be embarrassed at your obvious ignorance.

You're the numbskull that for two pages wouldn't believe that gusts stronger than sustained winds are the maximum winds.
You hid that post after several pages so no-one could see it.
And you are being just as obtuse again.
T H I C K

Risk ?? risk of what?
How about you spell out exactly what this the risk is that you perceive.

2018-10-16
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Had to reply again seen as you was struggling with the concept of risk, you did ask me, twice after all
RISK OF  BEING UP TO 100FT OUT thats what of....
No matter how big, or like i said, HOW SMALL Its still risk, call it what you like, i call  risk, risk

Put a glass on a table with a cat BIG RISK of the glass falling off
Remove said cat from the equation, and it now becomes little risk of the glass falling off
Theres still a risk of it falling off, table could be knocked, ball could hit it, earthquake, Zombies, tis Halloween after all.

If you still do not understand it then you are on your own, i bet you wish you didnt link to that thread now ;)

As for that post in question, i most certainly didnt close the one that i am referring to, sadly i cannot find it as i think it may have been one i was replying to and theres too many to go through
Do you seriously think i would close a thread where YOU stop arguing, NEVER, i call that a win when it comes to you and i takes what i can get

And there we go with the name calling, didnt think that would be far behind, noticed ive kept a fairly level head, you are quite predictable, all i will say is, i am polite about you! but, if you are ever in the UK, do please drop me a line so we can discuss this at greater length, in person, i would love to talk to you when you are not stuck behind a keyboard, better that way, wouldnt you agree?

You may know your way around DJI products and their inner workings etc, but your derogatory remarks towards your fellow member(s) lets you down big time,
i am surprised youve not been banned yet, but i do feel your knowledge card will only go so far....

2018-10-16
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Bashy Posted at 2018-10-16 19:43
Had to reply again seen as you was struggling with the concept of risk, you did ask me, twice after all
RISK OF  BEING UP TO 100FT OUT thats what of....
No matter how big, or like i said, HOW SMALL Its still risk, call it what you like, i call  risk, risk

Bashy .. you might have read the link I posted but you didn't understand it on any level.
I'd recommend reading it again but given your inability to make any intelligent inferences from basic English, I doubt you'd get anything from it.

You are after all the  ..... that argued for several days that because your weather bureau gives a forecast for winds to X miles per hour with gusts to X and a bit more, that the maximum wind must be X.
The extremely simple dictionary definition of the word maximum was something you couldn't understand and you refused to listen to anyone explain it to you.
You embarrassed yourself for days over that one and called me all kinds of names over it.
You aren't someone to listen to an a topic that requires any reasoning or critical thinking ability.

And if you've blanked out that embarrassment, here's the thread that you shut down when you worked out what a goose you'd beem:
https://forum.dji.com/thread-119183-1-1.html

And here's all that's left as a reminder:
https://forum.dji.com/thread-145595-1-1.html
2018-10-16
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I just wrote a long reply and lost it , DAMN touchscreen, so i  will just keep it short,  1st off, not that thread, 2nd, wasnt embarrassed, it was closed because 1, i got an official answer and 2, no more rhetoric from you, that failed because you just carried it on in someone elses thread anyway, as youve shown with the other link you posted ;) but please, do keep looking. AGAIN, it was nothing do with what the forecast said perse, that was only mentioned to explain to you that there is 2 wind speeds and i wanted to know which the manual was referring to end of thats it, its finished.

Ive noticed  though, youve gotten a few down votes on here and on BOTH those links and none are by me btw, but i can do it just to prove they are not mine ;)

At least you shut up now about the risk not being risk so must be a myth talk, so lets just leave it there shall we, unless of course you find the other thread but i dont think  you will post that one some how, i know i have had more than a few discussions with you and you are the same in each one and the same with numerous other members, i mean God forbid anyone that makes a mistake or does not have an opinion thats the same as yours or they are still learning, you just turn to name calling and putting people down with your derogatory remarks.
2018-10-17
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Bashy Posted at 2018-10-17 21:08
I just wrote a long reply and lost it , DAMN touchscreen, so i  will just keep it short,  1st off, not that thread, 2nd, wasnt embarrassed, it was closed because 1, i got an official answer and 2, no more rhetoric from you, that failed because you just carried it on in someone elses thread anyway, as youve shown with the other link you posted ;) but please, do keep looking. AGAIN, it was nothing do with what the forecast said perse, that was only mentioned to explain to you that there is 2 wind speeds and i wanted to know which the manual was referring to end of thats it, its finished.

Ive noticed  though, youve gotten a few down votes on here and on BOTH those links and none are by me btw, but i can do it just to prove they are not mine ;)

Unbelievable ... everything you type is total garbage
2018-10-17
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 2018-10-17 21:15
Unbelievable ... everything you type is total garbage

You are such a lovely chap.........  ;)
2018-10-17
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
United States

Bashy Posted at 2018-10-17 21:08
Ive noticed  though, youve gotten a few down votes on here and on BOTH those links and none are by me btw, but i can do it just to prove they are not mine ;)

The downvotes are from member Rodger8 who downvotes every post he sees from certain members regardless of the content of the post.  
2018-10-18
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

To what end?
2018-10-18
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
United States

That's a question only a doctor can answer.  
2018-10-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules