Winter is coming
1369 22 2018-10-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
embayweather
Second Officer
Flight distance : 556667 ft
United Kingdom

Well the rain is getting a bit colder and it is getting windier . So with flying conditions limiting me even more, how do you guys keep in touch with your drone interest? Do you fly simulators? Do you fly and indoor drone? Or do you simply put it to bed and wait until the better weather arrives? I would be interested to hear suggestions. For myself it will be a mixture or simulators and getting better skills at flying in less than ideal conditions.
2018-10-14
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi embayweather, thanks for reaching DJI Forum. We do appreciate bringing this query to us. Kindly check the link for more information in proper drone maintenance. Thank you.

Drone Maintenance Checklist
2018-10-14
Use props
rwynant V1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4842277 ft
  • >>>

MOVE CLOSER TO THE EQUATOR

https://viewer.hangar.com/360?productId=Nr7Eq75Y     This is most likely the sum total of our winter.....the day after a thunder storm.....which lasted almost 2 hrs.... OOOOOOOoooooooooooHH

Randy
2018-10-14
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I fly more during the winter if this last year is anything to go by,  summer time is to warm to leave the boys too long so i didnt , i  think i flew 4 times since it started getting warmer, where as during the winter i was in the air  more often than not lol I like the crisp mornings too
2018-10-14
Use props
embayweather
Second Officer
United Kingdom

rwynant V1 Posted at 2018-10-14 14:24
MOVE CLOSER TO THE EQUATOR

Thank you for that helpful thought and the great image. I wish I could go and live ner my brother in California, but responsibilities keep me here, and of course I cannot fly!
2018-10-17
Use props
embayweather
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Bashy Posted at 2018-10-14 19:54
I fly more during the winter if this last year is anything to go by,  summer time is to warm to leave the boys too long so i didnt , i  think i flew 4 times since it started getting warmer, where as during the winter i was in the air  more often than not lol I like the crisp mornings too

Interesting that Bashy, flying more in the winter . Perhaps its me that cannot stand the cold, even though we have a very temperate climate here. Just had a thought, I could be growing old and not wanting to go out in the winter.
2018-10-17
Use props
embayweather
Second Officer
United Kingdom

DJI Gamora Posted at 2018-10-14 04:12
Hi embayweather, thanks for reaching DJI Forum. We do appreciate bringing this query to us. Kindly check the link for more information in proper drone maintenance. Thank you.

Drone Maintenance Checklist

Thank you Gamora for posting the link. It is something that is easily forgotten until something goes wrong.
2018-10-17
Use props
Nebuchadnezzar
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 3462946 ft
  • >>>
Spain

i use a little cheap drone to fly in home when rain is falling   
2018-10-17
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

embayweather Posted at 2018-10-17 03:34
Interesting that Bashy, flying more in the winter . Perhaps its me that cannot stand the cold, even though we have a very temperate climate here. Just had a thought, I could be growing old and not wanting to go out in the winter.

Its more cause of not wanting to leave the dogs too long when its too warm than by choice really
2018-10-17
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Winter is a great time to fly - just make sure the batteries are warm before take off
2018-10-18
Use props
embayweather
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Bashy Posted at 2018-10-17 21:19
Its more cause of not wanting to leave the dogs too long when its too warm than by choice really

Bushy, I can understand that. I don’t have dogs but I used to have kids. They would get impatient even if I stopped to take a photographs. Your guys must be really good.
2018-10-18
Use props
Manxmann
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1178793 ft
Australia

Winter ?  Winter ..........  no you all got it wrong.  Summer is just around the corner - it's slowly warming up already !    Waell,  it is on this side of the equator !
I don't mind winter flying it's OK.  Summers are a little concerning.  During one flight last year I saw a battery temp of 60C.  Apparently it is OK,  but I'd rather it was considerably lower.
2018-10-20
Use props
embayweather
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Manxmann Posted at 2018-10-20 00:50
Winter ?  Winter ..........  no you all got it wrong.  Summer is just around the corner - it's slowly warming up already !    Waell,  it is on this side of the equator !
I don't mind winter flying it's OK.  Summers are a little concerning.  During one flight last year I saw a battery temp of 60C.  Apparently it is OK,  but I'd rather it was considerably lower.

Winter is certainly coming here, but I am not sure if you guys ever have a real winter like us.
I must ask too are you from Mannanans Isle originally?
2018-10-20
Use props
FatherXmas
First Officer
Flight distance : 4058619 ft
  • >>>

I put prop guards on my Mavic Air and fly it indoors. Last winter in addition to buzzing around the house tormenting the dogs, I went over to the recreation center at my church. Our congregation has grown to where we have outgrown the sanctuary, so we converted the recreation center into a really nice worship center so I now I need to find another place other than my house to fly.
2018-10-20
Use props
sky wombat
First Officer
Flight distance : 1454078 ft
  • >>>
Australia

embayweather Posted at 2018-10-20 04:48
Winter is certainly coming here, but I am not sure if you guys ever have a real winter like us.

embayweather hit -12c quite a few times this winter and flurry of that white stuff on the ground. P4P told me the battery was too cold but quite happily flew when I swapped another (and as cold) in.

Biggest problem in summer are the flies. You need three hands at least. Actually four if you have the esky to hand.

Re winter weather there are quite a few fliers around who regularly fly through blizzards (hmm Canadian I think) and biggest discussions each winter seems too be fingerless or fingered gloves

https://forum.dji.com/thread-78733-1-1.html
https://forum.dji.com/thread-86662-1-1.html
2018-10-20
Use props
Manxmann
Second Officer
Australia

embayweather Posted at 2018-10-20 04:48

Yep,  left there at the ripe old age of 21 to see some sunshine -  and have seen a fair bit of it !
2018-10-21
Use props
embayweather
Second Officer
United Kingdom

I live across the water from there near Morecambe. On a clear day I can see the island from my bedroom window. My number 3 son is over there for a short break at the moment. I wish I could be too, one of my most favourite places ever. But, not a lot of sunshine, especially today.
2018-10-21
Use props
embayweather
Second Officer
United Kingdom

FatherXmas Posted at 2018-10-20 07:46
I put prop guards on my Mavic Air and fly it indoors. Last winter in addition to buzzing around the house tormenting the dogs, I went over to the recreation center at my church. Our congregation has grown to where we have outgrown the sanctuary, so we converted the recreation center into a really nice worship center so I now I need to find another place other than my house to fly.

Good news and bad news there FatherXmas. Great news that you have such a large congregation, bad news you have to fly somewhere else. I go a very small Eachine drone for around $8. Once you get used to it its great for flying in the house. My cats are not too keen on it so I guess your dogs will not be, but you could perhaps go into another room.
2018-10-21
Use props
embayweather
Second Officer
United Kingdom

sky wombat Posted at 2018-10-20 20:29
embayweather hit -12c quite a few times this winter and flurry of that white stuff on the ground. P4P told me the battery was too cold but quite happily flew when I swapped another (and as cold) in.

Biggest problem in summer are the flies. You need three hands at least. Actually four if you have the esky to hand.

That is really cold. Rarely do we get down to double figures negative. But it is the wind that is the biggest problem. Seems almost incessant at times.
I have tried all sorts of different gloves myself. Current favourite is full finger gloves that will work with touch screens. Best of both worlds. Cheap enough to buy online.
2018-10-21
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

embayweather Posted at 2018-10-21 04:14
That is really cold. Rarely do we get down to double figures negative. But it is the wind that is the biggest problem. Seems almost incessant at times.
I have tried all sorts of different gloves myself. Current favourite is full finger gloves that will work with touch screens. Best of both worlds. Cheap enough to buy online.

I bought that style, still get a numb thumb mind lol
2018-10-21
Use props
Manxmann
Second Officer
Australia

embayweather Posted at 2018-10-21 04:09
I live across the water from there near Morecambe. On a clear day I can see the island from my bedroom window. My number 3 son is over there for a short break at the moment. I wish I could be too, one of my most favourite places ever. But, not a lot of sunshine, especially today.

Nice place,  but a bit wet,  windy & cold at times.   Having said that,  I'd love to have a drone over there - beautiful scenery & sights.
2018-10-22
Use props
Manxmann
Second Officer
Australia

embayweather mentions low temperature for battery operation.
I seem to recall temp should be 20+ is that correct ?   I am nervous flying at less than that...  but never had a problem.  As for having to wear gloves !!!!!!!!!!  ?????  Nah
2018-10-22
Use props
rohit goud
New

India

vreegergfersd
2018-10-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules