Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Drone videos and the FAA
752 21 2018-10-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Christine96
lvl.4
United States

Hello everyone.  So what's the word on the FAA watching our videos posted here or Youtube and coming after us for some kind of violation? I'm a little concerned about it.   
2018-10-14
Use props
Aeromirage
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1778045 ft
  • >>>
United States

Simple.... no violations.......no worries.
2018-10-14
Use props
rolling56
Second Officer
Flight distance : 138310 ft
United States

If you are getting paid for your videos (Youtube etc) or pics then you need a FAA 107 cert i believe is what it is.
2018-10-14
Use props
Christine96
lvl.4
United States

rolling56 Posted at 2018-10-14 14:21
If you are getting paid for your videos (Youtube etc) or pics then you need a FAA 107 cert i believe is what it is.

Yeah I did some reading and I don't think I've violated any rules since I'm just a hobbyist but I saw a youtube video of some dude years ago getting fined $10,000 and it got me spooked a little.  From the video though it sounded like he was doing stupid stuff with a model airplane.  It said something about people having to duck from getting hit so......
2018-10-14
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You need part 107 if your YT channel is monetised as you'll technically be profiting from the use of the drone in US airspace. As for this forum I can not see how that would be a concern as the forum is not monetised and is indeed a global forum - the FAA's authority starts and ends in US airspace - they have absolutely no jurisdiction where I live (for example). That said, I wouldn't post a video on here of your doing a point-of-interest around the statue of liberty as you never know ;)
2018-10-14
Use props
S.D. Pilot
First Officer
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

I don't think the FAA is sitting around wasting time on YT ...I wouldn't worry they have a lot more important things to worry about within the FAA system then looking for videos on YT.
2018-10-14
Use props
Christine96
lvl.4
United States

A CW Posted at 2018-10-14 15:05
You need part 107 if your YT channel is monetised as you'll technically be profiting from the use of the drone in US airspace. As for this forum I can not see how that would be a concern as the forum is not monetised and is indeed a global forum - the FAA's authority starts and ends in US airspace - they have absolutely no jurisdiction where I live (for example). That said, I wouldn't post a video on here of your doing a point-of-interest around the statue of liberty as you never know ;)

Thanks!  I doubt any of my videos will ever get monetized since they are pretty boring.  
2018-10-14
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU!
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

Christine96 Posted at 2018-10-14 16:04
Thanks!  I doubt any of my videos will ever get monetized since they are pretty boring.

Having worked closely with the FAA for years, their computers probably don’t even run YouTube correctly. Think of the oldest math department building & that’s the FAA’s campus. They’ve got 1 flight simulator & it is worse now than what some people have in their homes - it’s barely Level D.

Not only are they guiding multiple aircraft, but a “center’s” radar screens are already heavily cluttered with a bunch of //// (slashes) all over the screens indicating the plethora of 1200 squawkers (VFR pilots). So tracking (OMG LOL) and even if they could pickup/interrogate your little drone with commercial radar, is a fantasy. So until they require transponders & drone aircraft certification, you’re probably safe in performing whatever nefarious acts you desire.  

2018-10-14
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Christine96 Posted at 2018-10-14 16:04

They look good to me but I doubt the FAA will notice amongst the thousands upon thousands of videos with no real evidence of the person flying, difficulty in tracing the pilot, clarifying if he/she even lives in the US and the footage is from there and I suspect their resources to police social media will be very limited at best.
2018-10-14
Use props
dancopter
lvl.4
Flight distance : 17901030 ft
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

A CW Posted at 2018-10-14 22:53
They look good to me but I doubt the FAA will notice amongst the thousands upon thousands of videos with no real evidence of the person flying, difficulty in tracing the pilot, clarifying if he/she even lives in the US and the footage is from there and I suspect their resources to police social media will be very limited at best.

Other people may report you though (like what happened to Casey Neistat).
2018-10-14
Use props
Boffin
lvl.4
Australia

The only people that I have ever heard about being busted are the ones that post videos of really stupid actions online (like filming flying aircraft from close up).

These idiots need to be investigated and prosecuted, some have been busted here in Australia - $700 fine, CASA used his own YouTube video as evidence.

Fortunately, responsible people who are fed up with the actions of idiots apparently forward the video link to the appropriate authorities.

I don't like dobbers but it is because of idiots that our restrictions are becoming tighter.

If you do not do anything naughty, nobody should object.  Just be careful what you put online in a public forum
2018-10-14
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

dancopter Posted at 2018-10-14 23:35

Hence why I suggested not to do a POI around the SOL.
2018-10-15
Use props
Christine96
lvl.4
United States

dancopter Posted at 2018-10-14 23:35

Casey flys in NYC which has pretty strict drone laws.
2018-10-15
Use props
Christine96
lvl.4
United States

Boffin Posted at 2018-10-14 23:48
The only people that I have ever heard about being busted are the ones that post videos of really stupid actions online (like filming flying aircraft from close up).

These idiots need to be investigated and prosecuted, some have been busted here in Australia - $700 fine, CASA used his own YouTube video as evidence.

I think the main thing is to not fly around airports and over crowds of people like sports stadiums and such.  
2018-10-15
Use props
Christine96
lvl.4
United States

A CW Posted at 2018-10-15 00:01
Hence why I suggested not to do a POI around the SOL.

What is a SOL?
2018-10-15
Use props
Strobing_NYC
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3866470 ft
United States

statue of liberty, and you make $$$ off add's on youtube not your video's. I'm not being mean but do some more research about this topic
2018-10-15
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Statue of liberty
2018-10-16
Use props
GhostWolf010
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1118323 ft
Netherlands

@strobing NYC, not to be mean either, but the first post clearly states she askes for info and advice about this
2018-10-16
Use props
Matthew Chirico
Second Officer
Flight distance : 769160 ft

S.D. Pilot Posted at 2018-10-14 15:38
I don't think the FAA is sitting around wasting time on YT ...I wouldn't worry they have a lot more important things to worry about within the FAA system then looking for videos on YT.

truuuuuuuuuuuuue
2018-10-16
Use props
Matthew Chirico
Second Officer
Flight distance : 769160 ft

I just hate how people fly in Manhattan with the rules that are in place and I don't because of the possibility of getting in trouble...
2018-10-16
Use props
GhostWolf010
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1118323 ft
Netherlands

Still, other people might see it, and report you, then they might investigate...
2018-10-16
Use props
fansa84be9d5
New
Flight distance : 306247 ft
Ireland

Hello there. I'm looking for any help or advice. My drone was confiscated by French police due attac on safety of France. I was flying above triumph arch. Not smart but acording to Thu geofencing was fine. Any advice?
2018-10-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules