Switch to portrait mode
7568 12 2018-10-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
timdelma
lvl.2
Belgium

Is it possible with the Phantom 4 Pro to switch the camera from landscape to portrait orientation, like the Mavic Pro?
I thought this was possible but cannot find it online...

2018-10-15
Use props
Manxmann
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1178793 ft
Australia

Ditto,  I'd like to be able to do that too
2018-10-16
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

No, it's not possible, not even with the new Mavic 2 Pro.
But you can crop reasonable portrait mode images from your landscape format shots.
2018-10-16
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Not without editing in post
2018-10-16
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Hi there, thanks for the inquiry. However, Portrait mode is not available on Phantom 4 Pro but you can just edit your image taken from your drone from landscape to portrait. If you have further question, please let us know. Thank you.
2018-10-16
Use props
timdelma
lvl.2
Belgium

I'm sorry, but any photographer knows that cropping the picture to portrait mode is not the same than taking the picture right in portrait mode at the beginning .
In this case, I loose a lot of pixels, so I have to make multiple shots and stitch them together. The vertical pano can be an option. I'll try that one later with my Mavic Air.

I just don't understand why some features are not available on all DJI-drones, especially the more expensive ones. The Phantom, Inspire or higher should ALWAYS have all the available options, unless the hardware does not support/allow this...

I'm new in the world of droning, getting my commercial drone pilot license to use drones for my photography.
For the moment I'm so in doubt what drone to buy for my photography. The Phantom 4 Pro with CrystalSky-display is ideal, except for the sensor of the drone. The new sensor in the Mavic Pro 2 is much better but the drone itself is in my opinion not 'professional' enough for more extreme photography jobs.
I get the feeling DJI is not putting much effort in the further development of the current Phantom but they are rather working on a newer version of the Phantom.
So I don't know what to do... first go for the Mavic Pro 2 and wait for the new Phantom with, hopefully, a way better camera...
2018-10-16
Use props
KEJ
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Hi
In Pano mode you do have the option to take a vertical pano if that helps ?
2018-10-16
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

KEJ Posted at 2018-10-16 23:19
Hi
In Pano mode you do have the option to take a vertical pano if that helps ?

Yes, Just move the camera up-down rather than left-right
2018-10-16
Use props
Antonio76
Second Officer
Flight distance : 144403 ft
Denmark

timdelma Posted at 2018-10-16 22:59
I'm sorry, but any photographer knows that cropping the picture to portrait mode is not the same than taking the picture right in portrait mode at the beginning .
In this case, I loose a lot of pixels, so I have to make multiple shots and stitch them together. The vertical pano can be an option. I'll try that one later with my Mavic Air.

how about learning to fly sideways?
2018-10-16
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

timdelma Posted at 2018-10-16 22:59
In this case, I loose a lot of pixels, so I have to make multiple shots and stitch them together. The vertical pano can be an option. I'll try that one later with my Mavic Air.

Yes, they do.  But when you have a camera that can''t rotate to portrait mode like the original Mavic can, what are you going to do?

I just don't understand why some features are not available on all DJI-drones, especially the more expensive ones.

The feature you are asking about only works on the Mavic because it has a tiny round camera that rotates.
It's the only ready-to-fly drone camera that can do it.

To achieve that with a bigger camera like the Phantom's is asking too much mechanically and $$ -wise.

The Phantom 4 Pro with CrystalSky-display is ideal, except for the sensor of the drone. The new sensor in the Mavic Pro 2 is much better.
It's the same sensor !!

I get the feeling DJI is not putting much effort in the further development of the current Phantom but they are rather working on a newer version of the Phantom.

You get the feeling?  Based on what?
You have no idea what DJI are working on, but based on their record of knocking it out of the park every time, it's a pretty safe bet that the next Phantom will be something special.
2018-10-16
Use props
timdelma
lvl.2
Belgium

Labroides Posted at 2018-10-16 23:50
Yes, they do.  But when you have a camera that can''t rotate to portrait mode like the original Mavic can, what are you going to do?

I just don't understand why some features are not available on all DJI-drones, especially the more expensive ones.

The feature you are asking about only works on the Mavic because it has a tiny round camera that rotates.
It's the only ready-to-fly drone camera that can do it.
To achieve that with a bigger camera like the Phantom's is asking too much mechanically and $$ -wise.
Sorry, I did not know that. I thought they could easily turn the camera in the portrait position

The Phantom 4 Pro with CrystalSky-display is ideal, except for the sensor of the drone. The new sensor in the Mavic Pro 2 is much better.
It's the same sensor !!
First and for all the Mavic 2 has the Hasselblad optical lens. Nice upgrade compared to the lens of the Phantom. But the lens only effects the sharpness of the image. But his has nothing to do with the sensor.
I based my opinion on 2 DNG/RAW files I have. One of the Phantom 4 Pro and the other one of the Mavic 2 Pro. Same settings (including sharpness & contrast) at the same location at the same time. When I load but files in Lightroom both images are sharp, but the Mavic 2 image is a bit crispier.
I know DJI says the sensor is the same but when I compare both images I find the pixels of the Mavic 2 image of a better quality... I get more out of that image than the Phantom image and this is not only caused by the better lens...

You get the feeling?  Based on what?
You have no idea what DJI are working on, but based on their record of knocking it out of the park every time, it's a pretty safe bet that the next Phantom will be something special.

Maybe because it's been a while since they released a big update for the Phantom? Or maybe the Phantom is that good it does not need an upgrade? I don't think they can't improve the Phantom any more, right? There is always room for improvement...
2018-10-17
Use props
Aerial-Image
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1452408 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Do a tall pano....
2018-10-17
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

They are both good but it's interesting that you think the M2 is the better one photographically.  The forums are full of pixel peepers complaining it's  not as good.
I don't have one to check closely so I can't  say one way or the other.
2018-10-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules