Battery automatic discharge
2282 8 2018-10-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Chuck101
lvl.4
Flight distance : 27815 ft
United States

I have read the users manual regarding the DJI Intelligent Flight Battery Functions.
I have a question that is not really made clear in the manual.

If the current battery charge is less than 65% will the battery still begin an automatic discharge in 10 days?

At what percent does the automatic discharge stop?

2018-10-16
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I believe if the battery level is higher than 50% it will auto discharge to 50%.
2018-10-16
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Hi there, I appreciate your time bringing this query to us. Regarding your concern, Yes. It will automatically discharge once the battery idles for more than 10 days. The battery will stop auto-discharging mostly based on its battery power. When the battery power is zero, auto-discharging will stop. Please check the battery's power every three months and fully charge and discharge it at least once. Please perform routine maintenance to keep your battery healthy. Should you have further question, please let us know. Thank you.
2018-10-16
Use props
Chuck101
lvl.4
United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 2018-10-16 09:09
Hi there, I appreciate your time bringing this query to us. Regarding your concern, Yes. It will automatically discharge once the battery idles for more than 10 days. The battery will stop auto-discharging mostly based on its battery power. When the battery power is zero, auto-discharging will stop. Please check the battery's power every three months and fully charge and discharge it at least once. Please perform routine maintenance to keep your battery healthy.  Should you have further question, please let us know. Thank you.

I question your response.
Auto-discharging to zero would be detrimental to the life of the battery.
I am sure that is not the case.

I just checked via on-line chat. They make even less sense. They want to tell me it will auto-discharge when below 65% but NOT above that. Exactly backwards.
Hard to get good, reliable information.

I think A CW is probably correct. His answer does make logical sense.

2018-10-16
Use props
msinger
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

The batteries will not auto discharge below the storage level (which is right around 65%). However, they will continue to lose additional charge over time if you keep them in storage for several months. You should definitely make a note to check up on them monthly (or at least every other month) if you are going to keep them in storage for a long time.

Check out this thread for more information on safely maintaining and storing DJI batteries:

HOW TO: Maintain and store your DJI drone batteries
2018-10-16
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Chuck101 Posted at 2018-10-16 09:16
I question your response.
Auto-discharging to zero would be detrimental to the life of the battery.
I am sure that is not the case.

It's 50% on my Inspire for sure but other drones are 65% (in the manual at least). I charge to 50% after flight and switch off the charge then put the battery into storage. Have returned up to 2 weeks later and no auto discharge occurred as expected given that it was already at the storage level. Then I fully recharge to 100% typically the night before I fly.
The link msinger has posted says everything you need to know.
2018-10-17
Use props
Chuck101
lvl.4
United States

A CW Posted at 2018-10-17 01:56
It's 50% on my Inspire for sure but other drones are 65% (in the manual at least). I charge to 50% after flight and switch off the charge then put the battery into storage. Have returned up to 2 weeks later and no auto discharge occurred as expected given that it was already at the storage level. Then I fully recharge to 100% typically the night before I fly.
The link msinger has posted says everything you need to know.

Thank you for the additional information.
It is becoming more and more obvious the best and most accurate information is obtained from the users. As you can see in my reply to DJI Natalia the people that SHOULD know this information DO NOT.

msinger: Thanks. That is far better infomation than DJI is willing to supply.
2018-10-17
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Chuck101 Posted at 2018-10-17 02:04
It is becoming more and more obvious the best and most accurate information is obtained from the users. As you can see in my reply to DJI Natalia the people that SHOULD know this information DO NOT.

You're welcome  
2018-10-17
Use props
NRRTRAINS 85
lvl.4

United States

Chuck101 Posted at 2018-10-17 02:04

storage mode in all LI-PO batteries is 3.5 to 3.8 v  in each cell  ( 40 to 55 % ) V . DJI uses a 3s LI-PO in the Spark .  DJI uses a different percentage to set the storage in the intelligent battery at 65 %   . it cannot be adjusted .    Lipoly Voltage vs. State of Charge 2S - 6S Packs.JPG

2018-10-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules