Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
P4P crashed
1895 15 2018-10-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
UAViator53
lvl.4
Flight distance : 692090 ft
  • >>>

A week ago I was working a construction project with a brand new P4P. I launched the aircraft manually in GPS mode to a planned 100 feet altitude, The A/C passed 100, tried to reduce throttle, continued to well over 200 feet, began to fly north, stick commands (direction & throttle) were inoperative, activated RTH, A/C returned to overhead launch site but would not descend, turned controller off for 5 seconds, turned back on , not change, went to manual mode (atti) A/C drifted north still climbing, lost sight, came down and crashed.

Flight record shows multiple ESC errors. My dealer shipped it back to DJI,

DJI'S response:
For your case CAS-2313770-X8X3K6, we have finished the analysis, and the result is as follows:

The aircraft was in P-GPS mode and was responsive to pilot command. P mode : P-mode works best when GPS signal is strong. The aircraft utilizes GPS and the vison system to locate itself, stabilize, and navigate between obstacles.

At t=02:55s, relative height=63m, flight log cuts off. Pilot commanded roll right while unit is landing. Aircraft flight log cut off, pilot turns off app.

According to the analysis, the incident was not caused by any product malfunction factors. As such, we could not provide warranty service.We can still proceed with the repairs however, you need to cover the repair fees.

We will have our quotation team to follow up on your case soon.

Your understanding and cooperation will be highly
appreciated.

Once again, sorry for any inconvenience, and thanks for
your support.

My response:

Your facts are incorrect. I have been flying DJI products for 4 years (150 hours in quads, hexa and VTOL) and am well aware of their operation. The drone was NOT under control and dropped straight down from 200 feet. The drone acted like it had no awareness of  it’s altitude and went into landing mode at 200 feet. This was not pilot error but a defect on a brand new product. I can read a flight record and this drone was not under my control within a minute from take off. The altitude reading clearly show a problem with the barometer. I know you can see the -0- altitude readings during the first phase of the flight.

To refuse to honor a warranty on a $1,500 product is outrageous.

2018-10-16
Use props
ALABAMA
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Why don't you post the flight records and let others have a look?
2018-10-16
Use props
UAViator53
lvl.4
  • >>>

ALABAMA Posted at 2018-10-16 12:33
Why don't you post the flight records and let others have a look?

I tried, wouldn't accept it. Ill try again. Says it's a wrong file type.Try this
https://drive.google.com/open?id ... uHzc_ef1_EGAvjA-ZD4

2018-10-16
Use props
ALABAMA
Second Officer
United States

Try here and just post the link.       http://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/upload/
2018-10-16
Use props
UAViator53
lvl.4
  • >>>

ALABAMA Posted at 2018-10-16 12:44
Try here and just post the link.       http://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/upload/

http://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/8I0X4B8I3TTN31S9OQH1/
2018-10-16
Use props
ALABAMA
Second Officer
United States

Labroides needs to look at this one.  He is much more knowledgeable.
2018-10-16
Use props
UAViator53
lvl.4
  • >>>

ALABAMA Posted at 2018-10-16 13:30
Labroides needs to look at this one.  He is much more knowledgeable.

Thank you. The drone stopped responding to my stick commands within a minute from takeoff. It was most certainly not pilot error. But DJI says it was. I always blew off these stories as pilot error. It sure changes your perception when it happens to you.
2018-10-16
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Hi, sorry to read on this issue you are dealing with repair service. Your frustration has been  forwarded to the higher team to investigate and follow up, we will have someone to contact you soon about the next resolution, we are sorry again for the inconvenience caused. We hope for your patience.
2018-10-16
Use props
UAViator53
lvl.4
  • >>>

DJI Diana Posted at 2018-10-16 14:44
Hi, sorry to read on this issue you are dealing with repair service. Your frustration has been  forwarded to the higher team to investigate and follow up, we will have someone to contact you soon about the next resolution, we are sorry again for the inconvenience caused. We hope for your patience.

Thank you for anything you can do. I am experienced with DJI products; P3P, I1P, M600 and this was a total loss of control, not pilot error.  DJI seems to be basing their ruling on the lateral motion of the aircraft while landing. It never landed but came crashing down from ~200 feet. They are ignoring the clear loss of throttle control earlier in the flight which was certainly a contributing factor.
2018-10-16
Use props
ALABAMA
Second Officer
United States

Can I ask if at anytime did you have both sticks down and in together?
2018-10-16
Use props
UAViator53
lvl.4
  • >>>

ALABAMA Posted at 2018-10-16 15:00
Can I ask if at anytime did you have both sticks down and in together?

Only once to start the motors. Otherwise, no. I understand what a CSC does.
2018-10-16
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator

UAViator53 Posted at 2018-10-16 14:50
Thank you for anything you can do. I am experienced with DJI products; P3P, I1P, M600 and this was a total loss of control, not pilot error.  DJI seems to be basing their ruling on the lateral motion of the aircraft while landing. It never landed but came crashing down from ~200 feet. They are ignoring the clear loss of throttle control earlier in the flight which was certainly a contributing factor.

I understand, rest assured that proper team will handle this accordingly. Kindly wait patiently as we forward this to the relevant team for further investigation. You will be contacted within the next 24 - 48 business hours.
2018-10-16
Use props
UAViator53
lvl.4
  • >>>

DJI Diana Posted at 2018-10-16 15:15
I understand, rest assured that proper team will handle this accordingly. Kindly wait patiently as we forward this to the relevant team for further investigation. You will be contacted within the next 24 - 48 business hours.

Just got off the phone. DJI insists is not a product defect but they’ll be happy to sell me another at a 30% discount. I told them what to do with their discount.
2018-10-19
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator

UAViator53 Posted at 2018-10-19 10:20
Just got off the phone. DJI insists is not a product defect but they’ll be happy to sell me another at a 30% discount. I told them what to do with their discount.

Luis, we're sorry to hear about the outcome. Checking the case, the decision remains the same that's why 30% discount for the repair was offered. But I believe you already requested to ship the unit back un-repaired. Our facility will process this soon and will keep you updated via email. Again, we're sorry for the all the trouble. Thanks for understanding.
2018-10-19
Use props
UAViator53
lvl.4
  • >>>

DJI Diana Posted at 2018-10-19 13:29
Luis, we're sorry to hear about the outcome. Checking the case, the decision remains the same that's why 30% discount for the repair was offered. But I believe you already requested to ship the unit back un-repaired. Our facility will process this soon and will keep you updated via email. Again, we're sorry for the all the trouble. Thanks for understanding.

$1500 in the trash. Yuneec here I come.
2018-10-19
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

UAViator53 Posted at 2018-10-19 13:50
$1500 in the trash. Yuneec here I come.

We sincerely apologize for the unpleasant experience even though I still hope that you would have a nice trip with DJI product. Anyway, we respect your decision and wish you have a good time.
2018-10-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules