My experience with 0.300 thru 0.500 firmware
945 6 2018-10-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Dalford
lvl.4
Flight distance : 619846 ft
United States

This is my experience with my MA and the upgrade progressions from 0.300 thru 0.500...

I purchased my MA in February of 2018.  It flew great, I never had an issue.  It was using 0.300 firmware. I flew it from February until the end of April with no issues.

The 0.400 came out May 2nd.  I upgraded right away via WiFi.  The first time I flew it I noticed it drifting.  I then saw the many problems others were having with this upgrade on the dji forum.  Mine seemed to be ok but as time went on things got worse?  I started getting many warnings and the MA would fly erratic.  Video drop gradually got worse along with green screen.    Complete loss of connection got worse.  The last time I flew on 0.400 I lost complete connection between the MA and the controller.  I had to power the controller off and back on to reconnect to the drone.

I had been reading others results with the 0.500 and was holding off but since on my last flight I lost complete connection and as time and use increased the problems seemed to increase I decided to upgrade to 0.500.  I did this via WiFi. I also upgraded to the latest controller firmware at the same time via WiFi.

On my first flight of 0.500 things were not much better.  I was getting green screen and video drops.  Yaw CCW and just not a good flying experience.  I did not lose connection but I did have video blackouts for several seconds.

This experience really soured me on my MA.  Something I used to fly with confidence I was now afraid to let it get to far away.  I might as well just fly my Tello. Lol.

I remembered reading a post about multiple refreshing via the assist2 app may help.  So, I connected assist2 and refreshed my MA 0.500 firmware like 3 times in a row and the same for my controller.

I flew today, just one battery and had zero error messages or interference messages.  No green screen, no video or signal loss.  I only went about 1000’ away but on my first test of 0.500 I was only 50’ away and had the problems listed above.  I did see one 30 degree ccw fast yaw once but I’m not sure if I did it or it did it on its own.

So, maybe the firmware gets corrupted over time and needs to be refreshed periodically. Like a windows computer when it acts up you do a hard reboot.

I will keep you posted as I do more flying.

2018-10-16
Use props
sky6105
Second Officer
Flight distance : 345653 ft
United States

good observation on your part of all the updates.
Fly safe
Thank You
2018-10-17
Use props
Vofas
Second Officer
Flight distance : 200853 ft
Russia

What version DJI GO 4 are you using?
2018-10-17
Use props
Dalford
lvl.4
United States

Vofas Posted at 2018-10-17 00:35
What version DJI GO 4 are you using?

The latest 4.3.3
2018-10-17
Use props
Vofas
Second Officer
Flight distance : 200853 ft
Russia

And which smartphone model? I’m interested because as I install updates for FW and DJI GO 4 I’ve got an increase in brakes in managing and broadcasting video. Probably not enough performance smartphone Xiaomi Redmi Note 4X. Now I use a bunch of 500 and 4.2.8. Works great.
2018-10-17
Use props
Dalford
lvl.4
United States

Vofas Posted at 2018-10-17 21:18
And which smartphone model? I’m interested because as I install updates for FW and DJI GO 4 I’ve got an increase in brakes in managing and broadcasting video. Probably not enough performance smartphone Xiaomi Redmi Note 4X. Now I use a bunch of 500 and 4.2.8. Works great.

I use an iPad mini 4...
2018-10-18
Use props
Dalford
lvl.4
United States

So I flew 2 more batteries today since I did the multiple refresh of the 0.500 firmware.  I had a couple of video drops but only for a second or so and one interference warning.  I am flying in a heavy populated area so  I kind of expect some WiFi interference.  I flew about 1500’ out and no issues.

I did notice on my first take off that I had a fast yaw ccw of about 30 degrees.  This was using precision take off.  On my second take off I did not use precision and it did not yaw but it only lifted off 4-5’.  I’ll have to check next time to see if the yaw on take off only happens when selecting precision take off.

The MA is working so much better after doing the multiple refresh.  I think I will make the refresh part of my periodic maintenance and do it it every so often.

Has anyone else noticed this refresh effect?  I know that is the common response from the admin on this site when problems are encountered.
2018-10-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules