Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Range Testing
1998 37 2018-10-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jcflyer23
lvl.3
Flight distance : 4298 ft

United States

Yesterday I flew my MA until the signal was lost at about 1590 feet, does that seem right? Shouldn't the range be much much than that? I am thinking about going back to .400 FW to see if the distance improves. Also does it make any difference how high I am as far as the distance goes? Is the signal better higher up? I am flying at 150 feet.
2018-10-17
Use props
Ken Storm
lvl.4
Flight distance : 178583 ft
United Kingdom

Signal is generally better the more clear of obstructions you are including the ground. So yeah higher up is usually better for signal.
2018-10-17
Use props
jcflyer23
lvl.3

United States

Ken Storm Posted at 2018-10-17 03:49
Signal is generally better the more clear of obstructions you are including the ground. So yeah higher up is usually better for signal.

Ok Ken thanks for that info I will try moving up higher and see if it helps...
2018-10-17
Use props
InvisibleName 7
lvl.4
Flight distance : 795653 ft
United States

what was between you and your drone? Trees? buildings? Anything?
2018-10-17
Use props
jcflyer23
lvl.3

United States

InvisibleName 7 Posted at 2018-10-17 03:54
what was between you and your drone? Trees? buildings? Anything?

Well there was trees but I was above all of them, I am flying in my subdivision...
2018-10-17
Use props
Bekaru MP UAV
Second Officer
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

the drone and rc needs line of sight (LOS) to each other to work properly/at full function. Even though 50 m is above the trees if you keep that altitude the further you travel from home the quicker signal strength will be reduced due to obsticles. I suggest that higher is better as there are less obsticles about and better position for mor reliable signal strength. The risk with flying high is the wind! if it is windy on the ground it is more windy the higher you go. when you experiance signal strength weakening push stick for altitude and reassess your circumstances.
2018-10-17
Use props
Ridg
lvl.4
Flight distance : 232306 ft
United Kingdom

you should be getting at least 3 times that on FCC mode.

the signal can be better higher up but it depends where you're flying e.g. in a congested area you could be getting avoid the other signals, however if the interference is coming close to you then going above might make little difference if you can't punch through.
2018-10-17
Use props
JJBspark
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi,

Just had 3654 feet at 305 feet altitude. Steady signal!
Flying in The Netherlands above farm land.

cheers
JJB
2018-10-17
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Maintain a clear LOS (nothing between the RC and AC and yep, higher the better for improved signal (under 400' AGL).
2018-10-17
Use props
jcflyer23
lvl.3

United States

I am flying in n my subdivision and that is probably the problem, I will try higher up and see if it improves. May try going back to the .400 fw also.
2018-10-17
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

jcflyer23 Posted at 2018-10-17 08:10
I am flying in n my subdivision and that is probably the problem, I will try higher up and see if it improves. May try going back to the .400 fw also.

Cool - no harm in trying it out.
2018-10-17
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, thanks for the inquiry. The distance would depend on your location and environment. I would recommend re-calibrating the IMU and compass of your drone for the stability of the drone while it's flying. Avoiding interferences would be very helpful during flight so that you will not encounter interruption during your flight. Please let us know if you have other concern.
2018-10-17
Use props
InvisibleName 7
lvl.4

jcflyer23 Posted at 2018-10-17 08:10

Why do you think going back will be better? If everything is installed correctly, your using a compatible device, all calibration carried out, .0500 performs the same as .0400 but with the improvements listed in the Release notes.
2018-10-17
Use props
jcflyer23
lvl.3

United States

DJI Tony Posted at 2018-10-17 12:51
Hi, thanks for the inquiry. The distance would depend on your location and environment. I would recommend re-calibrating the IMU and compass of your drone for the stability of the drone while it's flying. Avoiding interferences would be very helpful during flight so that you will not encounter interruption during your flight. Please let us know if you have other concern.

Tony,
It seems stable enough I flew it in a good wind the other day and it held good...
2018-10-17
Use props
jcflyer23
lvl.3

United States

InvisibleName 7 Posted at 2018-10-17 13:11
Why do you think going back will be better? If everything is installed correctly, your using a compatible device, all calibration carried out, .0500 performs the same as .0400 but with the improvements listed in the Release notes.

It was just a thought I don't know if it will make it better or worst, I remember reading where some people said after installing the .500 FW they lost some distance.
2018-10-17
Use props
davidmartingraf
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>
United States

JJBspark Posted at 2018-10-17 05:46
Hi,

Just had 3654 feet at 305 feet altitude. Steady signal!

Nicely done - thanks again for sharing.
2018-10-17
Use props
Mavic Dave
lvl.4
Flight distance : 41161 ft
United Kingdom

I am missing something here.  Our voluntary rules of Flying mean we should fly within LOS.  How do you see a Mavic Air 1,590 feet away?
2018-10-18
Use props
JJBspark
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-10-17 23:42
Nicely done - thanks again for sharing.

Thanks, wish i could understand why there is so much difference in performance of DJI drones.

Some Sparks have never errors, some way too many. Some flyers have long ranges, some having very low ranges.  etc etc.

I am now on the latest FM and App version on Android. No problems at all.

cheers
JJB
2018-10-18
Use props
Mavic Dave
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Sorry, I am being sarcastic.  There is no way you can see the drone.  

So you are flying around complaining about distance, you have no real idea what is above you, below you, behind you and to the side of you.  So if something fly's into you e.g. a small plane you will complain to DJI that the drone crashed by itself and can you have a refund please.

If you want to fly miles away from where you are, why not get a full Pilots license and buy a plane?
2018-10-18
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

dont always trust your low power RTH if you manage a decent power run.  

i made it over 13,700 feet the other day, almost lost the poor mavic air.. it requested RTH at 64% power, i accepted, i was going to push a bit further but i was over water so.. ya know better to be safe than sorry.
wind was calm as far as i knew, very still, eerily still, specially for over the river.    anyway, on its return trip wow, battery was being chewed up.. last 1500 feet i did on 0%. but i got back to my location on the dock, pulled battery out right away because i fearing maybe damaged severely didn't want it to catch fire in my drone or something.. but all good, plugged it into my car charger and started charging like normal, and it works on handful of tests i did it seems normal..

im surprised it made it all the way back.. i mean i has little choice.. basically dump it in rover, drop it over city area on either side or at least try to bring it back... i picked bringing it back because as i get close to the city sides it suffers signal issues and i wasn't sure i would have a clean enough signal to find a good spot to land it..and since wasnt ready to deny me forward motion imma keep going..
2018-10-18
Use props
InvisibleName 7
lvl.4
United States

Mavic Dave Posted at 2018-10-18 01:03
Sorry, I am being sarcastic.  There is no way you can see the drone.  

So you are flying around complaining about distance, you have no real idea what is above you, below you, behind you and to the side of you.  So if something fly's into you e.g. a small plane you will complain to DJI that the drone crashed by itself and can you have a refund please.

Wondered how long it would take the 'Drone Police' to jump on this thread!
2018-10-18
Use props
Boffin
lvl.4
Australia

Always ensure that your r/c antenna is at right angles (90°) your machine.
Imagine that the transmitter/video receiver transmissions are like a doughnut shape around the antennae.
The ends of the pointy bits are minimum signal, they point to the hole on the doughnut, not good. The signal strength around the edges of the doughnut is much better    
2018-10-18
Use props
davidmartingraf
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>
United States

JJBspark Posted at 2018-10-18 01:01
Thanks, wish i could understand why there is so much difference in performance of DJI drones.

Some Sparks have never errors, some way too many. Some flyers have long ranges, some having very low ranges.  etc etc.

I agree with you on your interpretation of DJI drones. My Spark has been excellent while my Mavic Pro has under-performed compared to others on YouTube. I really think some electronics are made better than others, and this is why you see variance between models.
2018-10-18
Use props
Mavic Dave
lvl.4
United Kingdom

InvisibleName 7 Posted at 2018-10-18 03:53
Wondered how long it would take the 'Drone Police' to jump on this thread!

Ah ha, Mr Invisible Name, someone following the voluntary "Drone Code" is a policeman.

So, you don't and think the "Drone Code" should apply to you, you are perhaps "Above it".

That tells me a lot about you.

I won't enter a slanging match, but its idiots that won't follow a code that will bring about legislation and spoil things for everyone.

ARE YOU BLIND?

Stupid question, you can see for miles and miles and miles!!!!!!!!

2018-10-18
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

jcflyer23 Posted at 2018-10-17 15:37
Tony,
It seems stable enough I flew it in a good wind the other day and it held good...

Hi, thanks for the updates. Glad that everything went well. Please let us know if you have other concerns. Thank you for the support.
2018-10-18
Use props
InvisibleName 7
lvl.4

Mavic Dave Posted at 2018-10-18 08:11
Ah ha, Mr Invisible Name, someone following the voluntary "Drone Code" is a policeman.

So, you don't and think the "Drone Code" should apply to you, you are perhaps "Above it".

Not what I meant! I always try and fly by the drone code, it’s just that nearly every thread in this  forum always seems to end up with an input like yours
2018-10-18
Use props
InvisibleName 7
lvl.4

Mavic Dave Posted at 2018-10-18 08:11

Not what I meant! I always try and fly by the drone code, it’s just that nearly every thread in this  forum always seems to end up with an input like yours
2018-10-18
Use props
Mavic Dave
lvl.4
United Kingdom

InvisibleName 7 Posted at 2018-10-18 14:34

Maybe there is a reason for that!!

Just, perhaps, sensible people are trying to protect the thing we enjoy doing from the idiots who are going to spoil it.

2018-10-19
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Mavic Dave Posted at 2018-10-19 01:04
Maybe there is a reason for that!!

Just, perhaps, sensible people are trying to protect the thing we enjoy doing from the idiots who are going to spoil it.

There is no 'drone code' in the United States - the 'drone code' has been developed by the UK CAA to offer guidance to UAV pilots in UK airspace - it is not a universal guideline for all countries. Some countries have banned drones completely whilst others have no laws or guidelines at all. It is also important to note that some pilots are professional and through a part 107 (UK PfCO) may be granted permission from their national aviation authority to fly beyond standard safety guidelines and have every right to do so. It is important that people do not make assumptions and judge content because they read a leaflet that came with their toy.  
2018-10-19
Use props
Mavic Dave
lvl.4
United Kingdom

A CW Posted at 2018-10-19 01:18
There is no 'drone code' in the United States - the 'drone code' has been developed by the UK CAA to offer guidance to UAV pilots in UK airspace - it is not a universal guideline for all countries. Some countries have banned drones completely whilst others have no laws or guidelines at all. It is also important to note that some pilots are professional and through a part 107 (UK PfCO) may be granted permission from their national aviation authority to fly beyond standard safety guidelines and have every right to do so. It is important that people do not make assumptions and judge content because they read a leaflet that came with their toy.

I think its important to not get into the technicalities of what is allowed or not allowed.

There is the overriding principle is one of "Common Sense" and too many pilots think this principle does not apply to them.  

The thread is called "Range Testing" and its a common theme throughout this Forum, even DJI participate in it.  

It does not make sense to fly a UAV outside LOS and those that insist in doing so, will encourage restrictions that will apply to all of us.
2018-10-19
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Mavic Dave Posted at 2018-10-19 01:51
I think its important to not get into the technicalities of what is allowed or not allowed.

There is the overriding principle is one of "Common Sense" and too many pilots think this principle does not apply to them.  

It is very important to know the technicalities. One may be judging someones content and making utterly inappropriate and condescending remarks when in fact that individual may very well have gained the relevant permission and the flight may therefore be completely legal and thus such critique of the footage would be out of order. Innocent until proven guilty - it's the fundamental basis of the British legal system I believe.
Whilst I do not condone illegal use of drones it is also not my place to tell others I do not know or the circumstances in which their footage has been captured what to do anymore than it is your place.
2018-10-19
Use props
InvisibleName 7
lvl.4
United States

A CW Posted at 2018-10-19 03:00
It is very important to know the technicalities. One may be judging someones content and making utterly inappropriate and condescending remarks when in fact that individual may very well have gained the relevant permission and the flight may therefore be completely legal and thus such critique of the footage would be out of order. Innocent until proven guilty - it's the fundamental basis of the British legal system I believe.
Whilst I do not condone illegal use of drones it is also not my place to tell others I do not know or the circumstances in which their footage has been captured what to do anymore than it is your place.

Hey, well put!
2018-10-19
Use props
Mavic Dave
lvl.4
United Kingdom

A CW Posted at 2018-10-19 03:00
It is very important to know the technicalities. One may be judging someones content and making utterly inappropriate and condescending remarks when in fact that individual may very well have gained the relevant permission and the flight may therefore be completely legal and thus such critique of the footage would be out of order. Innocent until proven guilty - it's the fundamental basis of the British legal system I believe.

I find it remarkable that an argument is being put up in defense of the "Stupid".

In all the articles being written about in this Forum relating to distance, height etc.

How many would you say are being posted by qualified pilots, who have permission to fly outside LOS etc.

I stand to be corrected, but I doubt anyone has such qualification or permission to fly their UAV beyond what is commonsense.

I refer again to the name of the thread "Range Testing".  I don't see any qualification of "Range Testing by qualified pilot with permissions."

You are obviously an articulated person with a point of view, perhaps if you directed your comments in support of people who challenge  pilots who are acting without commonsense we would all put up a more consolidated argument.
2018-10-19
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Mavic Dave Posted at 2018-10-19 03:50
I find it remarkable that an argument is being put up in defense of the "Stupid".

In all the articles being written about in this Forum relating to distance, height etc.

I do not know the circumstances which is why I do not judge. If they are flying illegally and are caught then they face the consequences of their actions with the appropriate police officer on duty and ultimately the magistrate/court handling their case. Again, nobody should use this forum to police the actions of others they do not know.

On the Inspire side of the forum there are a number of qualified pilots that I know of for a fact - whether they have permission or not in some of their footage is their business and not for me to presume that they are 'stupid' because of my perception. Many pro pilots also fly smaller drones...

Drone's are indeed range tested by qualified pilots in air space - usually aerodromes which is all part of the R&D in the production of the drones and progressive development of the technology. Pilots are also permitted to fly beyond VLOS in S&R operations and fire control not to mention TV and film production, agriculture/3D mapping for acres over their own land and surveillance - that is why the Matrice 210RTK is designed to fly further than the more basic 200 model.  A number of people on this forum sometimes copy the footage they see from others and post it. This is why it is very important to know the facts first.
2018-10-19
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thank you!
2018-10-19
Use props
Sky Carrier
lvl.4
Flight distance : 590102 ft
United States

No issues for me with signal strength. Flew 2643m (8671fee
2018-10-19
Use props
Sky Carrier
lvl.4
United States

No issues for me with signal strength. Flew 2643m (8671 feet) with a max alt of 100m without any signal loss. Of course I keep the LOS as clear as possible.
2018-10-19
Use props
Sky Carrier
lvl.4
United States

No issues for me with signal strength. Flew 2643m (8671 feet) with a max alt of 100m without any signal loss. Of course I keep the LOS as clear as possible.
2018-10-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules