3384 14 2018-10-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DominikS66
lvl.1
Flight distance : 200568 ft
Germany

Hello Guys,
This is my first post in this forum and I hope I don't write about things wich are already well-known. I come frome Germany, so please don't wonder about my english sometimes  sounds very strange.
I have a DJI Spark with controller and a Samsung S5 mini connected via OTG cable to controller. I know, this phone model isn't officially supported by DJI, but it works for me, it runs at 80% cpu load on all 4 cores and the DJI Go app (4.2.16) works perfectly. Only during video recording, the performance limit of the phone is reached (runs at 100%), resulting in stucking live view and stucking and cropped preview videos on my phone - which I never will use anyway. So, as many other users here, I'm wondering about the lack of a video cache on/off switch, which is currently available in DJI GO IOS app.
Updating my phone is not a possibility at this time. But I've found a kind of bug in the DJI Go 4.2.16 app which uncovers the video cache switch at beginning of installation.
The video cache switch is available after new installation of the DJI Go App as long as you don't connect any drone to your DJI Go app!
Note: all your data (ie. cached videos ;-) which is stored in DJI Go App will be lost (with the except of flight records)
Steps in details:
  • If recommended, sync your flight records with DJI cloud (within the DJI Go app)
  • Uninstall and re-install the DJI Go App - or- Go to Android app settings, select the DJI Go App, select storage, delete data storage (this has nearly the same effect as re-installation)
  • Don't connect your drone to the phone (best way, keep the drone and controller switched off during this action)
  • Start the DJI Go app, accept the terms of use stuff, enter your account data etc. etc.
  • In the end, the screen with the 3 choices appears:Activate your drone, Connect your drone, Enter camera view without drone connection -> select this option!
  • In this camera view, the video cache switch is available inside settings. By default, the switch is set to On - switch it to off for permanent disabling the video caching on phone.
  • Leave camera view
  • Connect your drone now!
  • If you enter the camera view again, you will notice the video cache switch dissappeared (but it's set permanently to off now)
  • If recommend, restore your flight records from DJI cloud
That's it! I've tested these steps on two different smart phones and 2 versions of DJI Go app (4.2.16, 4.2.24 - I don't use this version because of high latency in video live view). And it worked every time - no more video caching on my phone :-)

Question to DJI software engineers: Is this a bug in the Android version if the video cache switch dissappears after a drone is connected to the DJI app? It seems to work correctly...

2018-10-18
Use props
Alex B.
Second Officer
Flight distance : 21105262 ft

Spain

Thanks for sharing this! Very useful!

Fly safely
Alex
2018-10-19
Use props
Sparkz71
lvl.4
Flight distance : 24259 ft
Australia

I lost my video cache eventually. Maybe you have the answer? I turned off video cache 'cos it slows everything down on the device.
All good.
Now I can't turn it back on?
2018-10-19
Use props
DominikS66
lvl.1
France

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean by "video cache lost". You should be able to get video cache back by using the same steps as described above except switching off the video cache. Did you already tried this ?
2018-10-20
Use props
Jacob Williams
lvl.4
Flight distance : 824560 ft
United States

Thank you so much, that helps me a lot with my Samsung Tab S2!!!
2018-10-31
Use props
Jacob Williams
lvl.4
Flight distance : 824560 ft
United States

Thank you so much, I have been struggling for a solution to that for over 6 months and now my drone finally works!!!!
2018-10-31
Use props
Sparkz71
lvl.4
Australia

Since having the RC with the combo pack, I never thought of connecting directly with the DJI Go 4 android app. I've lost the ability to record via the app at some stage. Maybe the options change when the RC is not used v's connected directly with the DJI Go 4 app? ;-)
2018-11-4
Use props
Sparkz71
lvl.4
Australia

DominikS66 Posted at 10-20 23:39
Sorry, I don't understand what you mean by "video cache lost". You should be able to get video cache back by using the same steps as described above except switching off the video cache. Did you already tried this ?

I discovered the video cache on the android app initially in Feb 2018. After updates, I can no longer enable the cache - just a small grey option appears, regardless of RC or AC wifi. I can see it initially after a complete reset, but it goes away as soon as I connect to Spark directly or via RC.

I've had random photos stored in the DJI storage folder whilst the normal cache failed.

Maybe DJI is spying on us? ;-)
2018-11-5
Use props
Sparkz71
lvl.4
Australia

Another strange image within DJI GO 4 when no devices are connected:
2018-11-5
Use props
Sparkz71
lvl.4
Australia

After a flight 25 mins ago, even with the cache unavailable, DJI Go 4 now decides to record to my phone.
The only difference is I logged in with a new name. Maybe something weird is going on with my account?
I'll test again & compare to the older account.  Something is not working, be it hardware or software. I don't understand why the DJI GO app is behaving this way.
2018-11-5
Use props
DominikS66
lvl.1
Germany

Sparkz71 Posted at 11-5 00:26
Another strange image within DJI GO 4 when no devices are connected:
[view_image]

This is exactly the switch I described in my initial post here.
2018-11-5
Use props
Sparkz71
lvl.4
Australia

DominikS66 Posted at 11-5 01:09
This is exactly the switch I described in my initial post here.

Thank you for helping.
Your key words are "The video cache switch is available after new installation of the DJI Go App as long as you don't connect any drone to your DJI Go app!"

Now I can't disable the cache after a fresh re-connection/reset to the RC or AC.
This is a problem that slows devices. The pilot has no control over the cache option, unless carefully selected before initial connection to the RC or AC?

I guess it's time to reset & start again, without the cache.

I can't confirm if different account names make any difference - ran out of batteries & now it's too dark. I've had similar experiences within my normal account - I guess it's a problem within DJI Go after initialising.  

2018-11-5
Use props
White Ox
lvl.3
Flight distance : 98281 ft

United States

I have a spark....and a Mavic Platinum Pro.

When I fly the Spark, the  "Cache Locally when Recording" switch is NOT present in the software.  When I fly the Mavic, it IS there.  Fly the spark again, and it's not there.

If memory serves me correctly, if on an android device, you can just go to "Apps" click on DJI GO 4, Force stop it, and clear the cache for the app itself.  This will clear out  the knowledge it has previously connected to a spark - Start DJI Go 4 WITHOUT powering up the spark and proceed as this thread suggests for intitial settings and it SHOULD make that toggle switch visible again - can someone verify this?
2018-11-5
Use props
DominikS66
lvl.1
Germany

IMHO Clearing the app cache only isn't enough to get the switch back, you need to clear app Data too (as I described already in my post above)
2018-11-6
Use props
White Ox
lvl.3
Flight distance : 98281 ft

United States

Snip from your post above:

Note: all your data (ie. cached videos ;-) which is stored in DJI Go App will be lost (with the except of flight records)
Steps in details:
1. If recommended, sync your flight records with DJI cloud (within the DJI Go app)
2. Uninstall and re-install the DJI Go App - or- Go to Android app settings, select the DJI Go App, select storage, delete data storage (this has nearly the same effect as re-installation)

I somehow missed the text in red when I first read this, sorry.
You are correct, as I just tested, clearing the App Cache does not re-set the switch, but clearing App Data does.  Thus, there is no need to uninstall/reinstall just to get access to the switch again.
2018-11-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules