Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
#autumn# in Beautiful Scotland
2847 26 2018-10-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
KESTREL III
Captain
Flight distance : 71250 ft
United Kingdom

I went up to Scotland last week with my DJI Mavic Air for a few days to capture the footage for this film ...the lighting conditions/weather on the Wednesday were particualry good and captured the incredible colour that can currently be seen in the Highlands ...this footage was shot between Tay Forest and the Laggan Dam.

Equipment: DJI Mavic Air, 3 Batteries, Controller, Charger, 1 x 120gb Micro SD card

Filmed in 4K at 30fps
Colour Mode: D-Cinelike with flat settings  

Tips:

1. Adjust your gimblel settings to ensure smooth movement of the camera (or use the cinematic mode)
2. Never use Auto White Balance, this will constantly affect your picture when you move the camera and ruin your footage ...change setting to Cloudy or Sunny dependent on weather
2. Shoot your slow motion scenes in 1920x1080p, 120fps slow ...much more professional and smoother than adjusting speed in post production.
3. Plan your filming for the weather, try to shoot nearer dawn and dusk for better colour
4. Plan your scenes rather than just flying the drone about ...also saves space on your SD card.
5. Try and film in layers as more interesting to watch
6. If you are out filming for a few days, take a laptop and transfer files off the SD card on a daily basis (at least) ...plus you can edit during the evenings.

Hope you enjoy the short film   

2018-10-19
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Great thread and illustration
2018-10-22
Use props
DJI Panda
Administrator
Flight distance : 405039 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Like the music so much, which is so good with the video.
2018-10-22
Use props
ZUAG6Eb8gn3m
New
United States

beautiful work...
2018-10-22
Use props
Axser
lvl.1
Flight distance : 492270 ft
Poland

Grate jobe mate, one of best looking videos i've ever watched.

I'm really sorry, that you lost your drone during its making... i hope this movie gets you one of the rewards so you can fly kestrel III soon ;)
2018-10-22
Use props
Kestrel Scot
Captain
United Kingdom

DJI Panda Posted at 2018-10-22 20:29
Like the music so much, which is so good with the video.

Thanks Panda, yes I think it works ...although Audio Network is an expensive source of music, especially when you buy 3 other tracks before finding the right one

Anyone know cheaper sources of quality music ?
2018-10-23
Use props
Kestrel Scot
Captain
United Kingdom

Thank you
2018-10-23
Use props
Kestrel Scot
Captain
United Kingdom

Axser Posted at 2018-10-22 23:02
Grate jobe mate, one of best looking videos i've ever watched.

I'm really sorry, that you lost your drone during its making... i hope this movie gets you one of the rewards so you can fly kestrel III soon ;)

Thank you Axser much appreciated ...its hard to believe that all the footage in the film was actually shot in just 8 hours on one very fine autumn day in the highlands ...also still saying my prayers that I downloaded the files from the sd card the night before, or it would of all been lost in the loch too.

I'm also just in the process of putting up a 'making of' video that shows videos made during filming and a time-lapse of the whole journey, will post a link here later on
2018-10-23
Use props
dynamoog
Flight distance : 571237 ft
Austria

wow, simply amazing!

really liking the sunset-shot at the end and the shot of the high voltage power line!

what happend to kestrel II? did it crash? or ran out of battery?
2018-10-23
Use props
WebParrot
Captain
Flight distance : 23625 ft
  • >>>
United States

Very very enjoyable.  Quality editing and the audio is perfect, both in choice and coordination.  Thank you!
2018-10-23
Use props
WebParrot
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Very very enjoyable.  Quality editing and the audio is perfect, both in choice and coordination/syncronization.  Thank you!
2018-10-23
Use props
Kestrel Scot
Captain
United Kingdom

dynamoog Posted at 2018-10-23 03:54
wow, simply amazing!

really liking the sunset-shot at the end and the shot of the high voltage power line!

Thanks dynamoog ...I'm just going to post a video to this thread below which was all the other videos on the trip, everything is explained regarding Kestrel II's demise.

I made one fatal error, this caused me to have to take manual control during return to home which proved fatal ...plus in hindsight there were things I could of done better. Pretty gutted but as I said elsewhere, thank god the night before during my down time I took the files from the sd card or the whole film would of been lost.
2018-10-23
Use props
Kestrel Scot
Captain
United Kingdom

WebParrot Posted at 2018-10-23 05:06
Very very enjoyable.  Quality editing and the audio is perfect, both in choice and coordination.  Thank you!

Thank you WebParrot
2018-10-23
Use props
Kestrel Scot
Captain
United Kingdom

Heres the "Making Of" video ...this explains the demise of Kestrel II ...I was very much trying to remain upbeat after losing it and look on the positive side that I had all the main footage saved, although deep down it was sad driving back without the drone. I only had it a month but learnt a lot from this, the first drone i've ever lost, but it wow'ed me in the short time i had it   

2018-10-23
Use props
WebParrot
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Kestrel Scot Posted at 2018-10-23 05:36
Heres the "Making Of" video ...this explains the demise of Kestrel II ...I was very much trying to remain upbeat after losing it and look on the positive side that I had all the main footage saved, although deep down it was sad driving back without the drone. I only had it a month but learnt a lot from this, the first drone i've ever lost, but it wow'ed me in the short time i had it   

Spot-on with "Making Of"  I'm am humbled by your experience, effort, and willingness to share.  Thanks again.  Heading off to have a "cup of .... espresso" (US, you know) and view it again!

2018-10-23
Use props
Klaus W.
Captain
Flight distance : 118366 ft

Nice work!
2018-10-23
Use props
HendrikJB
Captain
Flight distance : 2132792 ft
South Africa

Beautiful Scotland!!
2018-10-24
Use props
Kestrel Scot
Captain
United Kingdom

WebParrot Posted at 2018-10-23 06:06
Spot-on with "Making Of"  I'm am humbled by your experience, effort, and willingness to share.  Thanks again.  Heading off to have a "cup of .... espresso" (US, you know) and view it again!

Thanks for your comment ...we are all still learning though and theres definitely always room for improvement.

Everything in the film was manual control, but for the next project I want to try and get a lot more out of the Mavic Air's flight modes. Planning doing a local film next to show what my local area / county (us) has to offer.

PS: Love coffee ...but for some reason camping seems to bring out the urge for tea more  
2018-10-24
Use props
RSV_Ecosse
Flight distance : 133520 ft
United Kingdom

Amazing stuff. Loved both the videos. So sorry your Air went missing, must be a horrible feeling.

I was in Skye in August this year, it's an incredible landscape and a truly magical place to visit. I didn't have my drone with me but I'm planning on returning next summer and taking my Mavic Pro with me this time, looking to get footage of a number of locations that I visited in August.
2018-10-24
Use props
WebParrot
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Kestrel Scot Posted at 2018-10-24 03:33
Thanks for your comment ...we are all still learning though and theres definitely always room for improvement.

Everything in the film was manual control, but for the next project I want to try and get a lot more out of the Mavic Air's flight modes. Planning doing a local film next to show what my local area / county (us) has to offer.

In the event you haven't already considered it, the application "Litchi" has some interesting features that might supplement your creative urges :-)  I'm using their programable waypoint mission feature to take seasonal videos of the same location(s).  Mapping a mission in advance on an iMac, flying the mission 'virtually' (as a test), then flying it over and over as the season(s) progress gives me an interesting series of perspectives.  It's a $22 (US) investment that has paid off again and again.

P.S. ... Love tea, myself... especially after a long cold hike. :-)
2018-10-24
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain
Malaysia

Wow really cool video
2018-10-25
Use props
Hartyaj
First Officer
Flight distance : 49478 ft

Australia

Great clip, how addictive are these clips becoming ?
2018-10-26
Use props
fans38f0a195
lvl.1
Cyprus

Lighting makes all the difference!!
2018-10-30
Use props
SpruceMoose
lvl.1
Flight distance : 248871 ft
United States

Kestrel Scot Posted at 2018-10-23 01:24
Thanks Panda, yes I think it works ...although Audio Network is an expensive source of music, especially when you buy 3 other tracks before finding the right one

Anyone know cheaper sources of quality music ?

Check out GoPro's partnership with Jingle -- they have a huge library
2018-10-30
Use props
dado_pola
First Officer
Flight distance : 1147411 ft
  • >>>
Italy

So relaxing! thanks for share!
2018-10-31
Use props
Sayhelloforme
Captain
Flight distance : 8133219 ft
United States

Great tips beautiful footage. Thanks for sharing.
2018-11-2
Use props
elfatih01
lvl.1

Algeria

such an amazing view! love how the sunset light in the dark background accentuates the Fall foliage reds and orange color! sweet edit!
2018-11-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules