Another Spark fly-away tale
944 12 2018-10-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansdee960a4
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1873 ft
Israel

Hi guys and girls. I bought a spark drone and a day after purchase I flew it no more than a 100 meters away when it disconnected and refused to RTH. I saw it all the time, drifting away from me until lost sight of it. I looked all around the neighborhood but no luck.

It seems like it recorded my home point wrong, but then again, it also did not try to return.

While waiting for dji to investigate, could you please take a look at the logs and tell me what chance do i stand to get a replacement? Thanks!

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/PAZXM38IKMTMKTS96IG1/
2018-10-20
Use props
DeuceDriv3r
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4698533 ft
United States

just guessing but...

looks like you launched out of a balcony since the altitude is not matching VPS altitude..

looks like you launched out of the north side of a building .. flew up over that building and went south crossing SDE st at low altitude...  using a RC or phone?

having trouble with SATS the entire flight and likely kept ignoring warnings that you were loosing GPS lock

SDE st has a nice power line on it.. not helping..

looks like you possibly went below the building to the south further reducing signal strength to between the controller and aircraft

likely now lost GPS being low between buildings.. intermittent connection with remote ..and doubtful LOS due to you being on the north side of a building and flying south over several others than decending?

no mention of going into atti mode on its last disconnection so hard to tell what it did on the last disconnect..

it could have tried a RTH if it had a valid home point as was still in P mode or if it was in atti .. it could be anywhere...

looks though like at the time the log ends, you increased height and had beter sat coverage, possible impact with the building or possibly a tree near that garden and it emer stopped
Screen Shot 2018-10-20 at 8.47.10 AM.png
2018-10-20
Use props
fansdee960a4
lvl.1
Israel

Hi and thanks for your message.
I only had a low GPS warning when i took off, and it disappeared a few seconds later. the AC did not record the right coordinates for the home point, also it shows a reverse route of what it actually flew in.Also, when I last saw it, it was way above any building in sight, so a crash into a building or a tree is highly unkikely as far as I can tell.  Other than that, you're right,  
2018-10-20
Use props
EranMahalu
lvl.1
Israel

also, if it loses connection does it also lose its obstacle avoidance system? otherwise why will it crash into a tree or a building instead of just avoiding them?
2018-10-20
Use props
DeuceDriv3r
Second Officer
United States

EranMahalu Posted at 2018-10-20 05:23
also, if it loses connection does it also lose its obstacle avoidance system? otherwise why will it crash into a tree or a building instead of just avoiding them?

no it does not turn off collision avoidance but the spark only has collision avoidance looking and moving straight ahead..

so if it drifts/flown  left, right, back, down or up.. it can collide in those axis....

2018-10-20
Use props
DeuceDriv3r
Second Officer
United States

fansdee960a4 Posted at 2018-10-20 05:13
Hi and thanks for your message.
I only had a low GPS warning when i took off, and it disappeared a few seconds later. the AC did not record the right coordinates for the home point, also it shows a reverse route of what it actually flew in.Also, when I last saw it, it was way above any building in sight, so a crash into a building or a tree is highly unkikely as far as I can tell.  Other than that, you're right,

i don't see how it could show in reverse..

the track is quite clear when you step though the timeline..

you took off.. it updated the homepoint once airborne (really bad habit to get in launching without GPS lock)

you went up to 100ft .. flew over power lines and over to the other side of a building..

then decended on the far side of that building

at least that is what the log shows....

even if it didn't have sats I don't see how it can fly from the south to the north point where you say it updated the homepoint without even starting its log... just doest work that way
2018-10-20
Use props
EranMahalu
lvl.1
Israel

That’s not what i said. I said the log shows a reverse path. From the log the start point is far from me and the end point is near my home
2018-10-20
Use props
DeuceDriv3r
Second Officer
United States

EranMahalu Posted at 2018-10-20 08:47
That’s not what i said. I said the log shows a reverse path. From the log the start point is far from me and the end point is near my home

so how is that possible...

you put the drone down and walk a couple blocks away .. then start it up and fly it back?

The log starts from engine start ?  

or are you saying that the drone was never even where the log says it was?  the GPS was off by half a block?

I am not following you..

The log data is the log data....
2018-10-20
Use props
EranMahalu
lvl.1
Israel

Maybe I am not explaining myself correctly or maybe this issue is all too weird. Let me try to simplify: I flew from point a to point b, while the log shows I flew from point b to point a. Hope that makee more sense
2018-10-20
Use props
H. Arif - 6IX
Second Officer
Flight distance : 430364 ft
Canada

I had a similar issue, no warnings, within 100 meters, 18 sats, and instant connection loss.
2018-10-20
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Hi, sorry about what happened to your DJI Spark. I tried using your email address here in Forum account but I cant seem to find any case numbers. May you please confirm if this has been reported to our support team? I'd like to check more details and help you on this.
2018-10-21
Use props
EranMahalu
lvl.1
Israel

Hi Diana and thanks for reaching out. Case number is 1424445
2018-10-21
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

EranMahalu Posted at 2018-10-21 15:03
Hi Diana and thanks for reaching out. Case number is 1424445

Thank you for your response. I was able to check the information that you have provided and it appears this is being handled by the proper team. Kindly wait for their email as they forward the request for investigation to see what happened. Result will base on your flight records and the data needed. Thanks for your patience.
2018-10-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules