Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
#Autumn# Ode Cinematic + 12 TIPS to Capture Autumn Photos/Videos
12Next >
8178 64 2018-10-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Raincast
Second Officer
Flight distance : 135633 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Hello drone friends! All captured with the original Mavic Pro, here's a short cinematic reel of Autumn in the humble city of Edmonton. If interested, I have included some Quick Tips below to help you capture the best that Fall offers. Thanks for stopping by!

EDIT: Added "HSL Basics" Tip and more details to Color Conservation

Here are a few tips for shooting photos and videos during Autumn:

1. Color Conservation
Color grading has come a long way and is much easier than before, especially with free and paid LUTS that give a certain vibe to your captures. However, I would advise against adding too much color or filters that may change the natural fall colors since we want viewers to appreciate the raw beauty of mother nature. It is tempting to over-saturate the red and orange colors but these might stand out more than the rest of your frame and become distractions instead. Don't forget to correct your colors prior to layering grades or LUTS - these will help you with consistency between multiple pictures and video clips. For beginners, just play around with the basic sliders to your personal taste (whites/blacks/vibrance/saturation/white balance, etc.) so you won't get intimidated with coloring.

2. HSL Basics
Hue-Saturation-Luminance or HSL is a tab in photo/video editing software that you will most likely be experimenting with to color. Even if you're a beginner, you can easily make your photos and videos better without diving too much in it. Shifting HUE sliders left or right will make your picked color either warmer or cooler - this changes the mood you want to convey. For SATURATION, the main fall colors to treat are red, orange, yellow and to a lesser degree green. Be conservative in raising these numbers so your work remains pleasant to the eyes. Keep in mind that Vibrance increases your Saturation as well. Finally, LUMINANCE lightens or darkens the respective color you've chosen. Pick only a few colors to luminate so they become "accents" to your scene.

For Tips 1 and 2, there are a ton of Youtube tutorials regarding the editing software you prefer and how to color your shots with them. They usually have "trials" so you can test the program out and see if it suits your workflow.

3. PL Filters for Color Capture
You are probably already aware of drone ND filters that act as sunglasses to control how much light the camera takes in. On the other hand, PL or polarizing filters can increase the saturation/vibrancy of unique fall colors as well as the blue sky while reducing potential glare and reflection problems. Fortunately, there are a good variety of ND+PL filters so you get the best of both worlds. Without PL filters, you might end up with unwanted purple fringers when you increase saturation during the editing process. Stepping down the saturation after using PL filters, however, can easily and quickly be done in post if necessary.

4. Shorter Daylights
Once fall hits, daylights will slowly get shorter toward the winter season. If you are planning for sunrise, sunset or golden hour shoots, you can simply search for the specific times on the internet. I usually include the city or general area I'm in with the search to get a more accurate forecast. With shorter hours of sunlight, you have less ideal time to shoot overall but you can always spend the night time editing! =)

5. Busy Birds
You might find some activity from birds that are preparing to migrate or others that are looking to mate. Keep an eye out for these flying hazards during each phase of your drone flights. Bird flight paths are generally unpredictable so always be ready for evasive maneuvers. I personally make a headcount of birds in the area before I fly my drone.

6. Not All Leaves Fall!
Only certain types of trees will have their leaves change color and fall to the ground, so don't go sitting in a park and waiting forever for your favourite tree's leaves to turn color. There are handy lists online for common fall trees you'll most likely encounter on the road. The opportunity window for fall-colored leaves may be pretty short for certain trees as well so try to drive or even ask around (Reddit, forums, Instagram) which areas of your shoot location currently have the fall colors.

7. Ground Photoshoots
During this season, there will likely be a lot of couples and families doing photoshoots around your chosen area. Be sure to respect their privacy and space by letting them know you about your drone. Also, keep an eye for pets as they love to chase your flying camera. In general, make sure you follow your local drone regulations regarding distance from the public. Personal and public safety are always priorities during our captures.

8. Collision Sensors
I never had any collision sensor problems or issues with my drone over-reacting when fallen leaves are floating close but mileage may vary. If leaves do hit your propeller, DJI drones are pretty good at stabilizing themselves. Of course, we shouldn't be too risky with these expensive toys so plan a bit of distance from objects. Your drone's FOV is mostly good enough even if you're not too close to your subject.

9. Dressed Not to Kill
Fall means colder weather is approaching (or already here!) and a little bit of cloud covering the sun can affect your personal warmth. Kindly dress in layers in case it gets suddenly warmer/colder/windier than you'd like, even if you won't look as fashionable. Gloves come in handy when doing longer flights so you can control your RC in cold wind. Boots are recommended in case you step on muddy or wet grounds covered and hidden underneath the fallen leaves.

10. Plan then Fly
Google Earth is a good way to help you plan and frame shots while staying warm at home. Planning includes researching the specific times if you want a sunset or golden hour shot (see Tip #4). On site, I also tend to scout out how much flying space I have before I even turn on my drone - this helps to pick what moves your drone can do when filming video. These might seem like a chore but are very important when flying safely and legally in more populated locations such as a cities.

11. Latent Power
With the colder weather, be sure to carry spare batteries as your flight times may be reduced. This will help you to take multiple shots, which in turn will help you when editing. Drones are generally less flexible to edit when your shots are underexposed, so do a retake if you notice too much cloud coverage on your landscape. The extra juice would also give you time to explore the area for B-roll shots or simply spare minutes of flying your drone for fun.

12. Hand-holding
Don't be afraid to hold the drone with your hand and shoot ground footage. Those crispy golden leaves on the ground shouldn't be missed! On my video above, I have a handheld shot of walking with sun rays breaking through the trees in front. If you are more comfortable flying, feel free to hover near the ground over those fallen leaves. A flying drone becomes a leaf-blower too if you're close to the ground! So, watch out for small branches and dust particles that might reach your eyes from propeller gusts.

If you made it to this point, thank you so much for giving my article a read! Fly safe!

2018-10-20
Use props
White Heron
lvl.1
Flight distance : 17116 ft
United States

Thanks for posting this.  Great information that you share here.
2018-10-20
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain

Great Video and thanks for sharing those useful tips
2018-10-20
Use props
Sky Carrier
lvl.4
Flight distance : 590102 ft
Netherlands

Awesome video and very good tips. Thanks for sharing Raincast
2018-10-20
Use props
Atlas_Aus
lvl.4

Thailand

Very nice
2018-10-20
Use props
Nebuchadnezzar
First Officer
Flight distance : 3440476 ft
Spain

Excellent Guide and beautiful video !!
2018-10-20
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Very nice!
2018-10-21
Use props
Klaus W.
lvl.4
Flight distance : 118366 ft

Well done, lots of useful tips!
2018-10-21
Use props
dj_dread
Second Officer
Flight distance : 648399 ft
Romania

very nice video!
and tips!
2018-10-21
Use props
Phototrims
New

Bangladesh

Interesting.
2018-10-22
Use props
Inspirephil
lvl.3
Flight distance : 502982 ft

I’m looking at getting some ND/PL filters for my Inspire 2 asap. Already have regular ND filters but I wanna give them a try for better videos and pictures.
2018-10-22
Use props
Raincast
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Inspirephil Posted at 2018-10-22 09:14
I’m looking at getting some ND/PL filters for my Inspire 2 asap. Already have regular ND filters but I wanna give them a try for better videos and pictures.

There are some Youtubers who have tested the differences between PL filters and non-PL ones. I don't know how expensive Inspire filters are so I can't say if it's worth it in your case. Do you find the colors bland or lacking to your taste and end up constantly increasing saturation/vibrancy?
2018-10-22
Use props
Raincast
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

White Heron Posted at 2018-10-20 18:22
Thanks for posting this.  Great information that you share here.

I hope you learned something new! Thanks for the read!
2018-10-23
Use props
fanseda2e767
New
Canada

Nice video. Very informative. Really learned a lot and the views are just amazing
2018-10-23
Use props
HendrikJB
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2132792 ft
South Africa

Excellent composition and Great tips.
2018-10-23
Use props
Raincast
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

jacksonnai Posted at 2018-10-20 19:06
Great Video and thanks for sharing those useful tips

I hope you find it useful out there!
2018-10-27
Use props
alaska42
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3668114 ft
  • >>>
United States

Nicely done, like the smoothness of the video. Tips are great too.
2018-10-27
Use props
Raincast
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Sky Carrier Posted at 2018-10-20 22:01
Awesome video and very good tips. Thanks for sharing Raincast

You're welcome! That's a nice-looking drone you got on your profile pic!
2018-10-27
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

Number 10 is really good suggestion.  Both from possible reduced battery life and retaking shots with different exposures.  
2018-10-27
Use props
Kestrel Scot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 71250 ft
United Kingdom

Great job, looks a nice colourful city
2018-10-28
Use props
Raincast
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Glad you like it!
2018-10-28
Use props
Raincast
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Nebuchadnezzar Posted at 2018-10-20 23:35
Excellent Guide and beautiful video !!

Thank you! That's a fancy drone on your profile pic too haha
2018-10-28
Use props
Raincast
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

As always, thanks!
2018-10-29
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

As always : you're welcome!
2018-10-29
Use props
Raincast
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Klaus W. Posted at 2018-10-21 21:26
Well done, lots of useful tips!

I'm happy that you found it a bit useful! Thanks for the read!
2018-10-29
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Awesome work
2018-10-29
Use props
Raincast
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

dj_dread Posted at 2018-10-21 23:55
very nice video!
and tips!

Thanks, boss!
2018-10-30
Use props
Raincast
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Thank you for giving it a look!
2018-10-30
Use props
Peaches18
lvl.2

Canada

Very interesting and useful.
2018-10-31
Use props
Inspirephil
lvl.3
United States

Great advice for fall flying! I am always looking for ways to improve my shots so thanks for the tips.
2018-10-31
Use props
Inspirephil
lvl.3
United States

Raincast Posted at 2018-10-22 15:21
There are some Youtubers who have tested the differences between PL filters and non-PL ones. I don't know how expensive Inspire filters are so I can't say if it's worth it in your case. Do you find the colors bland or lacking to your taste and end up constantly increasing saturation/vibrancy?

I just bought some ND/PL filters and I’all be testing them out on the beautiful autumn colors. The weather here is a little bit cold but that doesn’t stop me from flying my Inspire 2. Last winter I shot a great shot of a waterfall while I was standing on an ice puddle!! If I knew how to post it on here I would. Once again thanks for the tips.
2018-10-31
Use props
Raincast
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

fanseda2e767 Posted at 10-23 08:49
Nice video. Very informative. Really learned a lot and the views are just amazing

Thanks for reading! It took me a bit longer to make and I'm glad you found it useful!
2018-11-1
Use props
Hani
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1392995 ft
  • >>>
United States

I like the tip #9. Very informative thread,  thank you
2018-11-1
Use props
SgtDannySgt
lvl.4
Flight distance : 283904 ft
Canada

Nice colours in Edmonton mate!
2018-11-1
Use props
pianoplayer7
lvl.4
Flight distance : 259055 ft
United States

Great tips and great video! Thanks for sharing!
2018-11-1
Use props
Sayhelloforme
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8133219 ft
United States

Good information. Thanks.
2018-11-1
Use props
Sayhelloforme
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8133219 ft
United States

Good information. Thanks.
2018-11-1
Use props
Raincast
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

HendrikJB Posted at 10-23 23:35
Excellent composition and Great tips.

Thank you so much for reading!
2018-11-2
Use props
HendrikJB
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2132792 ft
South Africa

Raincast Posted at 11-2 07:39
Thank you so much for reading!

You are most welcome.
2018-11-2
Use props
Raincast
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

alaska42 Posted at 10-27 06:20
Nicely done, like the smoothness of the video. Tips are great too.

Thanks! I think the ND filters helped out with the smoothness.
2018-11-2
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules