Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Attack Of The Killer Mavic Pro 2- Active Track Fail.
3600 32 2018-10-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans9c92099a
lvl.2
Flight distance : 246165 ft
  • >>>

I was filming with a Mavic Pro 2 with the ACTIVE TRACK of myself running in a fairly open hilly area, a few trees that were easily avoided. Three times the Mavic Pro 2 flew towards me (dive bombed me) and then crashed, the 3rd time almost crashed. The first time I was doing nothing and luckily it landed in a bush unharmed. The second time it forced landed on the ground unharmed. As it landed I did get a low battery message but no message before it crash landed. The third time I was doing nothing but running with the RC in my hand and saw it happening and prevented it from crashing. So what is up? I thought DJI improved ACTIVE TRACK. I do have the most recent firmware installed. Watch the video please. Any ideas and comments would be great.

2018-10-20
Use props
rolling56
Second Officer
Flight distance : 138310 ft
United States

wow that's just crazy
2018-10-20
Use props
M2Wair
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1192231 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

That was one suicidal drone, I'd say a lucky escape you had, it got close to hitting you, so not good.
2018-10-20
Use props
Celsus
lvl.4
Flight distance : 196594 ft
United Kingdom

You must have hit the attack button whilst jogging. On a serious note, it could have been really bad if MP2 hit you at that speed. Let us know if you identify the problem.
2018-10-20
Use props
Jannistmb
lvl.4
Flight distance : 516161 ft
  • >>>

I have used active track many times until now even in very extreme conditions no fails for the moment first time i see something like this.
2018-10-20
Use props
davidmartingraf
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>

Nicely done - thanks again for sharing.
2018-10-20
Use props
Sim-Y
lvl.4
Flight distance : 75502 ft

One word...…..SKYNET...…. enough said.

2018-10-20
Use props
Gregbella
Second Officer

Post if you find out what the problem is
2018-10-20
Use props
Anthony566
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2488944 ft
United Kingdom

That's not good ...  seems to be a few ghosts in the machine. .......
2018-10-20
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

Are you sure you didn't get Mavic 2 Zoomin?   
2018-10-20
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

Sim-Y Posted at 2018-10-20 14:08
One word...…..SKYNET...…. enough said.

One word - Helmet
2018-10-20
Use props
Sky Carrier
lvl.4
Flight distance : 590102 ft
Netherlands

So far my Active Tracking always has gone well. No idea what the issues is but please keep us posted if you do
2018-10-20
Use props
chiplifter
lvl.4
Flight distance : 745180 ft
Netherlands

Why are  the Active Track issues still not been resolved?
2018-10-21
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

chiplifter Posted at 2018-10-21 00:48
Why are  the Active Track issues still not been resolved?

Next Firmware update...
2018-10-21
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

What was that, that came into view at .40 seconds .
2018-10-21
Use props
fans9c92099a
lvl.2
  • >>>

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-10-21 05:18
What was that, that came into view at .40 seconds .

Thanks for all the input! Someone on another forum mentioned compass calibration. But I did not get a compass error message ever. Does anyone from DJI monitor this forum? I am considering trying to get DJI to send me a new Mavic 2 Pro. But I really do not want to fill out a repair order. It seems difficult to get in touch with a customer service rep directly. I would think DJI would want to investigate this incident. Maybe they should start marketing DJI helmets!
2018-10-21
Use props
B1houdini
Second Officer
Flight distance : 927927 ft
United States

Sorry to see the M2P act this way.
I have seen other videos with the MP and MA doing this.

I read just updating doesn't always solve the problem but a complete delete of the Go4 app and reinstalling helps plus doing a firmware  factory reset then reinstalling the latest firmware.

Hope you can get the problem resolved.
2018-10-21
Use props
fans9c92099a
lvl.2
  • >>>

B1houdini Posted at 2018-10-21 08:04
Sorry to see the M2P act this way.
I have seen other videos with the MP and MA doing this.

How do you do a firmware factory reset?
2018-10-21
Use props
Fre Mo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 803868 ft

Aie, this is dangerous. I still didn’t try this feature yet.
2018-10-21
Use props
B1houdini
Second Officer
Flight distance : 927927 ft
United States

fans9c92099a Posted at 2018-10-21 08:08
How do you do a firmware factory reset?

Using DJI Assistant 2 on the PC is where you can reset the firmware to Factory
2018-10-21
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Wow. That does not look good.
I have MP1, so I never bother with active track.
2018-10-21
Use props
Gunship9
lvl.4
United States

fans9c92099a Posted at 2018-10-21 07:18
Thanks for all the input! Someone on another forum mentioned compass calibration. But I did not get a compass error message ever. Does anyone from DJI monitor this forum? I am considering trying to get DJI to send me a new Mavic 2 Pro. But I really do not want to fill out a repair order. It seems difficult to get in touch with a customer service rep directly. I would think DJI would want to investigate this incident. Maybe they should start marketing DJI helmets!

Active tracking is using how the image subject looks to determine range to the subject and centering.  It does not have a radar set to determine range.  It is easy for the AI to get confused by the image and think it is holding when it is really closing fast.  Think it is chasing a rapidly retreating subject.  Snaking trail, various colors moving in the background/landscape, odd angles on the human subject might throw it off.

Doesn't the Mavic have a feature to follow the remote controller via GPS positioning of the remote and the drone?  That would provde a very good lock and range to subject holding.

Fortunately, the Tracking feature is just an aid for the pilot to help him get the shot.  It doesn't negate the pilot's responsibility to fly the aircraft and monitor its position.  The pilot ready to take corrective action as soon as the aircraft starts to dive off course.

I think the pilot in this case was out to lunch.  More pilot training needed about how the autopilot functions doesn't let the pilot ignore the drone during the flight.
2018-10-21
Use props
DanMan32
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2489501 ft
United States

Follow Me is not available on the M2 series.  At least not yet.

Active-Track shouldn't be dependent on the Go App, at least not once the subject is locked in.  Even that, it should be completely handled by the AC including object recognition lock.

True a pilot has responsibility, but if a product includes autonomy, with marketing about tracking oneself, then it should behave properly.
2018-10-21
Use props
fans9c92099a
lvl.2
  • >>>

Gunship9 Posted at 2018-10-21 09:53
Active tracking is using how the image subject looks to determine range to the subject and centering.  It does not have a radar set to determine range.  It is easy for the AI to get confused by the image and think it is holding when it is really closing fast.  Think it is chasing a rapidly retreating subject.  Snaking trail, various colors moving in the background/landscape, odd angles on the human subject might throw it off.

Doesn't the Mavic have a feature to follow the remote controller via GPS positioning of the remote and the drone?  That would provde a very good lock and range to subject holding.

Hey Captain Gunship. Do you work for DJI or what? I have been flying a Mavic Pro 1 for a 1.5 years with hours of Active Track footage. I have had the MP Pro 2 since August 24th 2018 and used Active Track (Trace and Profile Mode) while filming running, mountain biking and climbing without incident. The only time I had a problem I had was after the recent firmware update. As you can see from the video I had the controller in my hand and had zero time to react to the drone attack and crash landing except for the 3rd time the drone dive bombed me. This wasn't my first Active Track rodeo Captain. I am not sure how anyone watching the video would think I was out to lunch and needed more training using Actice Track? I had the MP 2 Pro locked onto me in Trace mode and the slow function. Active Track was designed to be an automated, self-flying feature. If you watch the DJI videos that is how the feature is promoted by DJI and that is what you see on many videos posted online. It is not advertised as a pilot assist back-up program.  I think you are out to lunch for writing those really uneducated comments. I think you should find a new job or at least  get a new pair of glasses Captain Gunship. You should also stay off this forum until you do your research and can comment constuctively. Of the many comments from other viewers about the video which is on YouTube and the Mavic Pilots forum yours was the only one that thought somehow I was at fault for almost getting taken out by the DJI MP2 Pro. If you are at all connected with DJI I will never buy any of their products again.
2018-10-21
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Kamikaze here we come!   
2018-10-21
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

fans9c92099a Posted at 2018-10-21 07:18

It seems difficult to get in touch with a customer service rep directly.

Hope you get a hold of one that knows more than following DJI's trouble shooting flow chart.
2018-10-21
Use props
Gunship9
lvl.4
United States

fans9c92099a Posted at 2018-10-21 16:59
Hey Captain Gunship. Do you work for DJI or what? I have been flying a Mavic Pro 1 for a 1.5 years with hours of Active Track footage. I have had the MP Pro 2 since August 24th 2018 and used Active Track (Trace and Profile Mode) while filming running, mountain biking and climbing without incident. The only time I had a problem I had was after the recent firmware update. As you can see from the video I had the controller in my hand and had zero time to react to the drone attack and crash landing except for the 3rd time the drone dive bombed me. This wasn't my first Active Track rodeo Captain. I am not sure how anyone watching the video would think I was out to lunch and needed more training using Actice Track? I had the MP 2 Pro locked onto me in Trace mode and the slow function. Active Track was designed to be an automated, self-flying feature. If you watch the DJI videos that is how the feature is promoted by DJI and that is what you see on many videos posted online. It is not advertised as a pilot assist back-up program.  I think you are out to lunch for writing those really uneducated comments. I think you should find a new job or at least  get a new pair of glasses Captain Gunship. You should also stay off this forum until you do your research and can comment constuctively. Of the many comments from other viewers about the video which is on YouTube and the Mavic Pilots forum yours was the only one that thought somehow I was at fault for almost getting taken out by the DJI MP2 Pro. If you are at all connected with DJI I will never buy any of their products again.

Sorry, I always think the pilot is at fault when he lets the drone crash because he thinks the autopilot has the final responsibility for the flight.  

I didn't know you were the pilot.  I thought you were the subject in the video.  We disagree about Active Track being a pilot aid and not being a pilot replacement.  My ideas on it are based on many DJI drones crashing into things while in Active Track.  Crashing while the pilot is doing something else such as biking.  

The drone's lock on the subject is just based on the image it is seeing on the sensor which is a pretty weak method of flight control.  I don't think these drones have as fool proof an autopilot as you suggest.  

It was a constructive comment in that having a pilot monitoring it will save many drones that are in Active Track mode.  I assume you work with DJI and that gives you the moral authority to say who needs to get off the forum.

Since you need comments like all the others about the drone video: "Good job.  Oh yeah,...bad DJI."

2018-10-21
Use props
fans9c92099a
lvl.2
  • >>>

Gunship9 Posted at 2018-10-21 18:35
Sorry, I always think the pilot is at fault when he lets the drone crash because he thinks the autopilot has the final responsibility for the flight.  

I didn't know you were the pilot.  I thought you were the subject in the video.  We disagree about Active Track being a pilot aid and not being a pilot replacement.  My ideas on it are based on many DJI drones crashing into things while in Active Track.  Crashing while the pilot is doing something else such as biking.  

To Gunship9. I do not work for DJI. In the video I was the subject and the pilot. I am not sure if someone else was filming me running, we (they) would use Active Track. DJI marketed the Mavic 2 Pro with improved Active Tracking because of new side, rear and top vision sensors as well as 3-D imaging to help the drone anticipate where you will appear in the frame after being obscured by an object. All of the vision sensors are ONLY activated in Active track and Tripod mode. I completely understand that Active /track in not fool proof and you are at risk of the drone crashing into a obstacle if you are flying in an environment that is full of obstacles. Trees, cliffs, power lines, buildings, homes, ect. to name a few. Where I was flying/filming they were no obstacles for the drone to fly into except for myself, which was a malfunction of the drone. It was NOT  pilot error. I do feel that you stating that the pilot was "out to lunch" and needed more training without really inquiring as to the pilots skills and knowledge of drones or the environment they were flying in. This is not beneficial to this forum. You drew the wrong conclusion and were insulting at the same time.
2018-10-21
Use props
Thriller
lvl.4
Flight distance : 374337 ft
Italy

The active track on M2P is able to modify his height to follow its target downhill. I think that for some wrong reason it believed you was going downhill and it tried to follow you.
2018-10-21
Use props
MBraa3
New

United States

Wow! I also have had a similar experience. Months ago, & last week. On active track.
I Don't know how fortunate I am, but it zipped towards me fast. I always keep my thumb on the emergency stop button on the controller, and was able to smash that quick. Startled me pretty good because the props got real loud as it came at me.
It's design was to keep it's distance and then basically profile track me. Before it zipped in, it was acting abnormal by closing distance and then going back out in a smooth wavey manner (26 second video clip). Stopped it, reset the track subject (me) then it does in at me during an 8 second video clip.

Won't let me upload the video from my mobile, I'll need to change the filter type to jpeg.
2020-4-29
Use props
MBraa3
New

United States

Wow! I also have had a similar experience. Months ago, & last week. On active track.
I Don't know how fortunate I am, but it zipped towards me fast. I always keep my thumb on the emergency stop button on the controller, and was able to smash that quick. Startled me pretty good because the props got real loud as it came at me.
It's design was to keep it's distance and then basically profile track me. Before it zipped in, it was acting abnormal by closing distance and then going back out in a smooth wavey manner (26 second video clip). Stopped it, reset the track subject (me) then it does in at me during an 8 second video clip.

Won't let me upload the video from my mobile, I'll need to change the filter type to jpeg. Which may not be possible
2020-4-29
Use props
Robnoxious
lvl.2
Flight distance : 229367 ft
United States

That drone has the Rona
2020-5-23
Use props
Heinz Donsbach
lvl.3
Flight distance : 56575 ft