Sending in for repair, 'Gimbal Overload' :(
980 5 2018-10-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Sweetblu
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2428 ft
United States

So today I went to fly my spark, and get some footage of some wicked fog from above, and as soon as I started ot fly I got warnings about gimbal errors, and ginbal overload.

And it was just generally not acting right, and the roll gimbal was not moving at all.

I then decided to open a chat and they are telling me to send it in.  It is only 2 months old, and I haven't had any real 'crashes' other than one last week when I was flying inside my work (HUGE warehouse that is open for th emost part) and was in ATT mode, because it had GPS lock, but kept going in, and out of GPS mode, but I had sensors on, and was in normal mode, and flying slow, just trying to get footage of our new office space.

I went around the huge main area, and stopped to get a pan, and it suddeny started to drift, and drift fast! And then it went directly head first into a wall, and dropped about 5 feet.

Is this the cause of the gimbal issues?!?!?!?! Why didn't the front avoidence sensors stop it from moving into the wall??? I do not feel I should have to pay for repairs if this is the cause of the ginbal errors. There is no damage to the drone that can be seen, and she still flies great.

2018-10-22
Use props
Sweetblu
lvl.1
United States

https://app.airdata.com/share/gJQbwE
2018-10-22
Use props
62+
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1321991 ft
South Africa

Let the Spark "dry out" first.
See user manual page 31. Maybe the front sensor is also "wet"

Manual say  that flying in clouds or heavy fog can cause the gimble to temporary fail and will recover after it dries.

I do not have firsthand experience of this but that is what the manual state.
Put the Spark in a dry place for a day or so. Maybe this solve your problem.
Put it in a bag with dry rice or desiccant just be careful the bits do not get in the drone motors or elsewhere.
2018-10-22
Use props
Sweetblu
lvl.1
United States

62+ Posted at 2018-10-22 12:29
Let the Spark "dry out" first.
See user manual page 31. Maybe the front sensor is also "wet"

The problem is it was stating the errors before I took off, and had just pulled it out of my car.
2018-10-22
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Gimbal motors and boards are very delicate.  It doesn't take much to have damages.
2018-10-22
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Hi Jeff, We are terribly sorry to know about the issues that you had with your spark. I was able to get your case number using your forum account, and it appears that we haven't received the unit. We strongly recommend you to send the unit for repair at your most convenience, we will do damage assessment and data analysis (if needed) to check if warranty repair service can be provided. Please be informed that we do not recommend to fly the drone if its weak GPS or no-GPS signal at all, specially indoor to avoid flight hazard since the sensors are not activated when in ATTI mode.

You can check the page 9, on the manual here: https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... 0Manual%20V1.6-.pdf
2018-10-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules