Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dronybaloney
Second Officer
Flight distance : 24897940 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hello,
I read some reviews regarding sharpness , but i  am still not sure which one is most suitable for the mavic 2 with the hasselblad. And these reviews were mostly for people who film in d log h265.

However i will film in normal h264.
Will +1 setting show lines etc or aliasing?
Or will sharpness set to 0 be better in normal h264?

Can someone help me making the choice?
2018-10-24
Use props
El Diablo
Second Officer

Germany

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2018-10-25
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi dronybaloney, thanks for reaching DJI Forum. We do appreciate bringing this query to us. You may also refer to this forum link https://forum.dji.com/thread-166863-1-1.html for more information. Should you have any concerns, don't hesitate to reach us. We're here to help you. Thank you.
2018-10-25
Use props
Zatx
lvl.4
Flight distance : 158166 ft
United States

If you leave your sharpness setting at 0 while shooting in h.264 you can get that weird watercolor effect in the shadows of your videos.
2018-10-25
Use props
dronybaloney
Second Officer
  • >>>
Netherlands

El Diablo Posted at 2018-10-25 01:03
+1 all the way. The image coming from the M2P is slightly softer that the P4P. DJI normally applies different artificial sharpening levels to all the drones. The new Mavic gets a little less out of the box. That setting will get you a much crisper look while mantaining that beautiful and organic image quality and color rendition.

Obviously you can also leave it to 0 and apply it in post on your editing routine but +1 in camera works quite well.

Thanks ,

But if you put sharpness to +1 and shooting for example a
Railway line or a small river in the distance won’t you see , sharpness lines moving? I think thats aliasing?
2018-10-25
Use props
El Diablo
Second Officer

Germany

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2018-10-25
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU!
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

Assuming 4K:  Better choice BY FAR to make is H.265 and Normal Color. That’ll get you 1000% more clarity throughout the entire image. Then you keep the sharpness at 0 & profit. It’s a “set it & forget it” setting, which is what you seek, I believe.

Adding the +1 sharpness may induce flickering here & there. It’s highly noticeable and detracts from the video every time I see it (trees, vegetation). It’s in about half the “graded” M2P videos and about 90% of Mavic 1 videos. The Mavic 1 had more sharpness, which led to massive flickering throughout the screen.

2018-10-25
Use props
poetoe
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3181066 ft
Switzerland

DRONE-flies-YOU! Posted at 2018-10-25 06:55
Assuming 4K:  Better choice BY FAR to make is H.265 and Normal Color. That’ll get you 1000% more clarity throughout the entire image. Then you keep the sharpness at 0 & profit. It’s a “set it & forget it” setting, which is what you seek, I believe.

Adding the +1 sharpness may induce flickering here & there. It’s highly noticeable and detracts from the video every time I see it (trees, vegetation). It’s in about half the “graded” M2P videos and about 90% of Mavic 1 videos. The Mavic 1 had more sharpness, which led to massive flickering throughout the screen.

agree with you in terms of H.265 and normal color mode and that this mode is sharper than the dlog-m after color grading, at least this is from my experience. Also did tons of videos in normal mode comparing all style settings from minus to plus 3, what I like most is 0-1-0, gives me the best looking footage straight out of camera. also 1-1-0 looks good but agree - depending on subjects like trees etc. - it starts flickering. I prefer to add little sharpness in post, if necessary.
2018-10-25
Use props
MagicRide
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6766027 ft
United States

Problem for me is playing back H.265 on my computer or my Samsung tv. Everything just judders in playback. I shoot in H.264 and still looks good.
2018-10-25
Use props
poetoe
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3181066 ft
Switzerland

MagicRide Posted at 2018-10-25 07:38
Problem for me is playing back H.265 on my computer or my Samsung tv. Everything just judders in playback. I shoot in H.264 and still looks good.

Same with me. I bought the M2P and thought this is it. It turned out I need a new computer as my old one was too slow for 4k, so I bought the iMac 5k 2017.....fine.  Now I will need to buy FCPX since Davinci Resolve (free version) that I am using does in fact support lens correction but only in Fusion, and when doing this, it takes me 20 minutes to render a 20 second video.  So, now I spend another 300 bucks for this, fair enough. Next thing on my list is now a 4kTV which can play my 4K footage. Of course with this I will need also a new amplifier that supports 4k.  Unbelievable what impact a simple drone purchase has  
2018-10-25
Use props
dronybaloney
Second Officer
  • >>>
Netherlands

I have to shoot in h264 as my computer will not play h265.

So you the +1 will be fine in h264 according to you ? Or will 0 also be ok and reduces these dancing lines or will there be not much difference?
2018-10-25
Use props
blakekimmel
lvl.1
United States

I have been very dissapointed by the image detail captured by my Mavic 2 Pro compared to my Phantom 4 Pro.

This is the first time I have seen that not using DLOG makes for more detail. Have you ever shot with P4P? How do you think the Mavic 2 detail compares in Normal color mode? Are you using the HQ setting or FOV on Mavic 2  Pro?

+1 from my limited experience on Mavic 2 Pro in DLOG gives a very average look so I have been shooting at 0.
2018-10-25
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU!
lvl.4
United States

blakekimmel Posted at 2018-10-25 10:17
I have been very dissapointed by the image detail captured by my Mavic 2 Pro compared to my Phantom 4 Pro.

This is the first time I have seen that not using DLOG makes for more detail. Have you ever shot with P4P? How do you think the Mavic 2 detail compares in Normal color mode? Are you using the HQ setting or FOV on Mavic 2  Pro?

Yes, it was easier getting a sharp, pleasing image from the P4P. However, I like the colors better out of this M2P.

I’ve done extensive testing with Normal & D-Log. Normal looks great every time. Use HQ if you want jaw dropping clarity and detail. Obviously this is all H.265 since a very quick test shows this is far superior. It’s a shame it takes so much computer to process these. An iPad Pro (2nd gen) and LumaFusion makes processing the video files a breeze.

D-Log rarely looks better than Normal. I’ve seen 2 videos that do & those were done by schooled videographers. I’ve been unable to produce a better image using it over Normal. So it’s a lot of work to nail it & it still has same if not worse final output due to the inexperienced user taught only off YouTube (like me!). After all the correction & so-called grading, it’s the same dynamic range and the color depth is the same. It’s Level 1 HEVC 10-bit & I don’t notice 1 difference using many top spec monitors. Videos show how Normal “breaks” sooner, but they’re also taking the exposure a few pixels shifted... so it’s not the exact same comparison!

I don’t publish this stuff because I’m not looking for a debate, just the best possible settings & then go from there. Basically find the best settings & lop it all off with an axe after the grading & ND filter. Normal is still tricky to really nailing that exposure. Exposure is the key to everything in this DJI setup. If it is wrong, colors, dynamic range, sharpness is all off. Horrible contrast leads to an unsharp image, too.

I like Normal (H.265) and 0,0,0.  Setting sharpness to +1 gives me noise in lower light (shadows too). 0 on this drone seems to be zero.  Mavic 1 needed +1 just to make it zero.

2018-10-25
Use props
blakekimmel
lvl.1
United States

DRONE-flies-YOU! Posted at 2018-10-25 19:44
Yes, it was easier getting a sharp, pleasing image from the P4P. However, I like the colors better out of this M2P.

I’ve done extensive testing with Normal & D-Log. Normal looks great every time. Use HQ if you want jaw dropping clarity and detail. Obviously this is all H.265 since a very quick test shows this is far superior. It’s a shame it takes so much computer to process these. An iPad Pro (2nd gen) and LumaFusion makes processing the video files a breeze.

Thank you for this in depth  explanation of your findings. I am also not trying to make a debate, just want to get nice images out of my drone. Will definitely try the NORMAL color settings and avoid DLOG for a little while, this whole 10bit log image out of a small drone with a 1" sensor is a big difference from the past so I could see how it may be producing lower detail images but with better color.

I always shoot HQ so far. Excited to tinker with some of the settings you have suggested. Thanks again.
2018-10-29
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU!
lvl.4
United States

blakekimmel Posted at 2018-10-29 10:15
Thank you for this in depth  explanation of your findings. I am also not trying to make a debate, just want to get nice images out of my drone. Will definitely try the NORMAL color settings and avoid DLOG for a little while, this whole 10bit log image out of a small drone with a 1" sensor is a big difference from the past so I could see how it may be producing lower detail images but with better color.

I always shoot HQ so far. Excited to tinker with some of the settings you have suggested. Thanks again.

Be sure you upload some clips to YouTube at different settings/bitrates. Then review those to really compare between other YouTube videos. YouTube does a few tweaks to your video like totally converting everything into their own language.

So you might find that saturation needs to come down a tick in lower light (like darker cloudy days). Or just bring it down a hair in post since you’ll being messing with highlights/shadows, which in-turn changes the saturation a bit. This is most noticeable in fall with the over vibrant (almost artificial) leaf colors. I find that -1 contrast kills some of the clarity and detail. Which then you’ll want to do +1 sharpness to help make up for that... so yea, good luck dialing in what you think should get you what you seek. THIS... is Mavic 2 Pro lol.

I use this for still landscapes quite a bit also. The quality of the 40 megabyte/20 megapixel Prophoto 2.2 images are outstanding. The level of adjustment and clarity is easy to convey, as seen on this forum.
2018-10-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules