P4 Soft Focus issue
1067 21 2018-10-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_zUQ9JbysumUX
lvl.2
Flight distance : 266 ft
United Kingdom

At the beginning of 2018 I got a p4. Camera had great sharp pin point focus. Recently have noticed my camera has developed a soft focus issue. The camera no longer delivers a sharp crisp clear pin point imagine. Image is ever so slightly fuzzy. No matter what settings or firmware upgrade I choose image is slightly fuzzy.

Should I send the p4 back for repair?
2018-10-25
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hi there, we are so sorry to read that, may I verify the current firmware version? Did you try to reset the camera settings to try again? If the issue persists, any chance to upload several original pictures to Dropbox or Google Drive and post the link here for further analysis? Thank you in advance.
2018-10-25
Use props
djiuser_zUQ9JbysumUX
lvl.2
United Kingdom

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-10-25 18:54
Hi there, we are so sorry to read that, may I verify the current firmware version? Did you try to reset the camera settings to try again? If the issue persists, any chance to upload several original pictures to Dropbox or Google Drive and post the link here for further analysis? Thank you in advance.

Hi, I shall follow your suggestions and get back to you.   

Question. If I do send for repair regarding delivery and back can I send via a collection and drop off point such as a collect plus or Argos drop off point. I have a shared letterbox  and prefer to use a more secure delivery  and collection point
2018-10-26
Use props
KEJ
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Hi

May I ask what F stop you generally use ?

Or do you mostly use auto settings ?

The reason I ask(and if you are familiar with what I am about to say then please ignore) if for example you set your camera to F2 (Lower F Stop) then the depth of field is narrow and objects closer or further away from the subject you focus on would appear soft.

If on the other hand if you are using a setting of F11 (higher) then even if you focus on a subject, other objects closer and further away would also probably still be in focus.

Issues can occur when you have a shallow depth of field(F2.8), initially focus on the subject and then by flying closer or further away it would appear soft(out of focus), whereas if you had a higher F Stop(F11) then even if the drone moved slightly closer to the subject or further away, you would probably still maintain good focus.

I hope that makes sense ?  And if you already know this & yours is a hardware issue, please ignore.

Screen Shot 2018-10-26 at 16.08.01.png
2018-10-26
Use props
fansb380773c
lvl.4
Flight distance : 431211 ft
South Africa

Had this problem with my p4 and replaced the props .
2018-10-26
Use props
djiuser_zUQ9JbysumUX
lvl.2
United Kingdom

KEJ Posted at 2018-10-26 06:54
Hi

May I ask what F stop you generally use ?

Hi. I'm using everything  in automatic. Mode.  And haven't changed the camera settings since first use.  I flown the p4 in same spot over and over practicing flying and noticed the change in focus. I shall read and follow suggestions
2018-10-26
Use props
KEJ
Second Officer
United Kingdom

djiuser_zUQ9JbysumUX Posted at 2018-10-26 08:52
Hi. I'm using everything  in automatic. Mode.  And haven't changed the camera settings since first use.  I flown the p4 in same spot over and over practicing flying and noticed the change in focus. I shall read and follow suggestions

Fair enough, but I would try manual settings and then you can alter the F Stop.

Obviously if its dark, the higher lets less light in, so possible test it during the day.

ISO 100
F11
Shutter speed to suit

Enable the histogram
2018-10-26
Use props
JohnnyGT
lvl.2
Flight distance : 42733 ft
New Zealand

just a stupid question: how to i get the F Stop up on standard P4 ? (think is only available on Advance/Pro or newer ?)
2018-10-26
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

djiuser_zUQ9JbysumUX Posted at 2018-10-26 05:04
Hi, I shall follow your suggestions and get back to you.   

Question. If I do send for repair regarding delivery and back can I send via a collection and drop off point such as a collect plus or Argos drop off point. I have a shared letterbox  and prefer to use a more secure delivery  and collection point

Thanks for getting back to us. If the unit needs to be serviced, you may contact our support to start a case here: https://www.dji.com/support If your current address is eligible for the shipping label, the designated team will send you a shipping label, you may follow the instructions to send the unit in. If not, I'm afraid that you may send the unit in at your own cost, hope this helps.
2018-10-26
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

fansb380773c Posted at 2018-10-26 08:11

Hi there, thanks for heading up. May I know what's the current status? Has the issue been figured out?
2018-10-26
Use props
KEJ
Second Officer
United Kingdom

JohnnyGT Posted at 2018-10-26 22:58
just a stupid question: how to i get the F Stop up on standard P4 ? (think is only available on Advance/Pro or newer ?)

I think you are correct, I just found this:

The Phantom 4 features a fixed 20mm f/2.8 lens.

I have the P4A, so you do get that option to alter the F stops.

But you can see from the diagram/picture it is easy to get out of focus with such a narrow depth of field if its fixed and either the subject or drone move.
2018-10-27
Use props
djiuser_zUQ9JbysumUX
lvl.2
United Kingdom

fansb380773c Posted at 2018-10-26 08:11

Hi so the old props where creating a  tiny  vibration which I guess caused instalbillaty on the camera resulting in the slight off focus. It makes sence in what your saying. I shall get new props and see if issue goes away. Thanks for your input.
2018-10-27
Use props
KEJ
Second Officer
United Kingdom

djiuser_zUQ9JbysumUX Posted at 2018-10-27 05:48
Hi so the old props where creating a  tiny  vibration which I guess caused instalbillaty on the camera resulting in the slight off focus. It makes sence in what your saying. I shall get new props and see if issue goes away. Thanks for your input.

And lets say vibration is the issue, you could try two tests that may prove that:

1  Bright Sunny, very high shutter speed, take a picture.  Then same subject with a lower shutter speed, is one picture clearer than the other ?
In theory the very high shutter speed shot should be more clear.

2  Drone on your kitchen worktop, no props, no engines on, take a few pictures, has the issue gone away?

Start engine on tick over, take some pictures has the issue gone away?

Issue could obviously be when they reach a certain speed.

2018-10-27
Use props
djiuser_zUQ9JbysumUX
lvl.2
United Kingdom

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-10-26 23:36
Hi there, thanks for heading up. May I know what's the current status? Has the issue been figured out?

I haven't been able to look at the p4so far but shall wait until the right time comes to follow your instructions
2018-10-27
Use props
djiuser_zUQ9JbysumUX
lvl.2
United Kingdom

KEJ Posted at 2018-10-27 07:15
And lets say vibration is the issue, you could try two tests that may prove that:

1  Bright Sunny, very high shutter speed, take a picture.  Then same subject with a lower shutter speed, is one picture clearer than the other ?

After my drones second firmware upgrade i noticed a changed in motors behaviour when max and min throttle was applied . Before upgrade motors without props would spin up and down nice and smoothly. Without props after firmware, upgrade motors sound different louder and there is some obvious  vibraton . I noticed this changed after performing  a firmware upgrade.  I plan to buy new probs and follow all suggestions
2018-10-27
Use props
KEJ
Second Officer
United Kingdom

djiuser_zUQ9JbysumUX Posted at 2018-10-27 16:49
After my drones second firmware upgrade i noticed a changed in motors behaviour when max and min throttle was applied . Before upgrade motors without props would spin up and down nice and smoothly. Without props after firmware, upgrade motors sound different louder and there is some obvious  vibraton . I noticed this changed after performing  a firmware upgrade.  I plan to buy new probs and follow all suggestions

However, you could try the kitchen table test before buying new props and potentially save yourself money.

This test could be carried out indoor, then outside on a flat surface.

This would at least tell you that you have no camera issues.
2018-10-27
Use props
JohnnyGT
lvl.2
Flight distance : 42733 ft
New Zealand

KEJ Posted at 2018-10-27 04:40
I think you are correct, I just found this:

The Phantom 4 features a fixed 20mm f/2.8 lens.

Yip that clears thing up a bit being a P4 Advance than can/will have this feature, cheers
2018-10-27
Use props
KEJ
Second Officer
United Kingdom

JohnnyGT Posted at 2018-10-27 23:25
Yip that clears thing up a bit being a P4 Advance than can/will have this feature, cheers

Yes P4A you can alter the F Stop which is always good news.
2018-10-28
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

djiuser_zUQ9JbysumUX Posted at 2018-10-27 16:22
I haven't been able to look at the p4so far but shall wait until the right time comes to follow your instructions

That's OK. Do not hesitate to contact us if there is anything else we can help.
2018-10-29
Use props
KEJ
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Have you had chance to test it on a flat surface with no props connected yet ?  Cheers
2018-11-5
Use props
djiuser_zUQ9JbysumUX
lvl.2
Spain

KEJ Posted at 11-5 02:12
Have you had chance to test it on a flat surface with no props connected yet ?  Cheers

Not yet but it's on the cards. Need a nice windless day and finding the time when I get chance.
2018-11-5
Use props
KEJ
Second Officer
United Kingdom

djiuser_zUQ9JbysumUX Posted at 11-5 05:06
Not yet but it's on the cards. Need a nice windless day and finding the time when I get chance.

Fair enough.

2018-11-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules