Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Cinessd thunderbolt 3 station not working due to Mojave
12Next >
7150 49 2018-10-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Klayk
lvl.1
Flight distance : 26263 ft
United States

I have only used this new cinessd thunderbolt station with the also new 480GB SSDs a few times and it worked fine.  Loading ProRes Raw files into FCPX.  I tired loading it up tonight and the error I got was "The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer"  with buttons to "initialize...", "Ignore", "Eject".
I have tried:
- Multiple times with the same results, plugging and unplugging, ALWAYS only removing the SSD when the reader was unplugged, never unplugging the SSD with the reader plugged in/on.  The internal fan is running each time.
- A different 480GB SSD
- Reformatted a 480GB SSD

- Rebootted my iMac
- There are no visible reset buttons

I am using a iMac Pro with macOS Mojave ... one thing I considered was that this is the first time I have tried the reader with the new Mojave install ... I also tried searching for this issue, thinking it was maybe compatibilty issue iwth the new OS.  I have not found anything yet.

Any ideas?
2018-10-25
Use props
Klayk
lvl.1
United States

The DJI store agreed to replace it after I also talked with DJI and we all agreed the reader had failed.  BUT after getting the replacement the new reader also had the same error.  I found that the iMac was showing the reader as "unmounted" but it won't let me mount it.  This change definitely happened with Mojave.  I have yet to find a way to correct this issue.  Anyone with Mac OS knowledge and mounting external drives chiming in would be appreciated.
2018-10-27
Use props
Mark D - AFMG
lvl.1
United States

Klayk Posted at 2018-10-27 12:50
The DJI store agreed to replace it after I also talked with DJI and we all agreed the reader had failed.  BUT after getting the replacement the new reader also had the same error.  I found that the iMac was showing the reader as "unmounted" but it won't let me mount it.  This change definitely happened with Mojave.  I have yet to find a way to correct this issue.  Anyone with Mac OS knowledge and mounting external drives chiming in would be appreciated.

Same here with exFAT formatted CineSSDs on Thunderbolt3 CineStation on Majove OS! I just finished shooting for a client and can't get my footage. I have 2 cards and both are showing the same thing. I know that these worked before upgrading to Mac OS Mojave. Is there a problem with the USB3.0 Version of the CineStation any one?
2018-10-27
Use props
Klayk
lvl.1
United States

Mark D - AFMG Posted at 2018-10-27 13:01
Same here with exFAT formatted CineSSDs on Thunderbolt3 CineStation on Majove OS! I just finished shooting for a client and can't get my footage. I have 2 cards and both are showing the same thing. I know that these worked before upgrading to Mac OS Mojave. Is there a problem with the USB3.0 Version of the CineStation any one?

Im glad that Im not the only crazy one!
Here is a screen shot

cinessd unmounted

cinessd unmounted
2018-10-27
Use props
Klayk
lvl.1
United States

Klayk Posted at 2018-10-27 13:22
Im glad that Im not the only crazy one!
Here is a screen shot

I was on the phone with Apple for about an hour this morning looking into this non-mounted cinessd thunderbolt issue.  They had me do a data capture and will be sending to engineering for review.
I also sent another notification to DJI about it probably being due to Mojave.
2018-10-28
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Captain
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Klayk Posted at 2018-10-28 09:43
I was on the phone with Apple for about an hour this morning looking into this non-mounted cinessd thunderbolt issue.  They had me do a data capture and will be sending to engineering for review.
I also sent another notification to DJI about it probably being due to Mojave.

Please keep us posted as Apple is pushing for upgrade to Mojave ...
2018-10-28
Use props
DS924
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4028425 ft
United States

I'd like to get into the loop on this, also. I just upgraded to Mojave but I'm not using the SSD yet.
2018-10-28
Use props
flyingfun
First Officer
Flight distance : 2551998 ft
  • >>>
Luxembourg

Klayk Posted at 2018-10-27 13:22
Im glad that Im not the only crazy one!
Here is a screen shot

Same error

Same error

Got the same problem

not mounted

not mounted

2018-10-29
Use props
Klayk
lvl.1
United States

DS924 Posted at 2018-10-28 13:41
I'd like to get into the loop on this, also. I just upgraded to Mojave but I'm not using the SSD yet.

Apple contacted me again today getting specific info on the cinessd station and what Mojave shows when the drive is connected on the Mac.  At least they are actively looking at the issue.  
Of course one containment is to downgrade to the pre-Mojave OS.  I have not decided to do that yet.
2018-10-29
Use props
Alex Dawson
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1787395 ft
  • >>>
Switzerland

Klayk Posted at 2018-10-29 13:07
Apple contacted me again today getting specific info on the cinessd station and what Mojave shows when the drive is connected on the Mac.  At least they are actively looking at the issue.  
Of course one containment is to downgrade to the pre-Mojave OS.  I have not decided to do that yet.

I just updated to Mojave on my iMac Pro but have not tried to upload any data yet. It would be great if you to know if anyone hears anything in the next few days? I need it to work a week from now.
2018-10-30
Use props
Klayk
lvl.1
United States

I made a point of thanking Apple for working the issue since they could have said “it’s not an Apple drive so not our prob”.  Plus I said I use it for Apple ProResRaw files .
I’m also surprised that the Forum admins are not chiming in.  Usually they post asking for details.
This error is preventing us from using their over-priced SSD sticks, DNG and ProRes raw files with an expensive DJI license.
I have a non-Thunderbolt CineSSD station arriving Tuesday to test if it will work given it uses USB A connection vs the USB C and the different communication protocol.  I won’t be surprised if it doesn’t mount.  I think the prob with Mojave has more to do with the ExFAT format on the sticks.  We’ll see ... is anyone using the standard CineSSD station with Mojave?
2018-10-30
Use props
Klayk
lvl.1
United States

Klayk Posted at 2018-10-30 03:05
I made a point of thanking Apple for working the issue since they could have said “it’s not an Apple drive so not our prob”.  Plus I said I use it for Apple ProResRaw files .
I’m also surprised that the Forum admins are not chiming in.  Usually they post asking for details.
This error is preventing us from using their over-priced SSD sticks, DNG and ProRes raw files with an expensive DJI license.

I received the standard USB 3.0 Cinessd station, testing it on Mojave.  It worked just fine.  What that means is the issue with Mojave and the Thunderbolt Cinessd is NOT due to ExFAT file system but something to do with the Thunderbolt drive itself.  I'll update Apple and keep you updated on what they find.
2018-10-30
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Captain
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Klayk Posted at 2018-10-30 19:56
I received the standard USB 3.0 Cinessd station, testing it on Mojave.  It worked just fine.  What that means is the issue with Mojave and the Thunderbolt Cinessd is NOT due to ExFAT file system but something to do with the Thunderbolt drive itself.  I'll update Apple and keep you updated on what they find.

Thank you for your efforts.
2018-10-30
Use props
Klayk
lvl.1
United States

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 10-30 22:04
Thank you for your efforts.

While Apple seems to be putting effort into solving the issue, DJI is just apologetic with no plan.  While I am not surprised, it would be better for DJI and Apple to work together vs their customers trying to solve their problems.
2018-11-1
Use props
Klayk
lvl.1
United States

Klayk Posted at 11-1 07:47
While Apple seems to be putting effort into solving the issue, DJI is just apologetic with no plan.  While I am not surprised, it would be better for DJI and Apple to work together vs their customers trying to solve their problems.

I just spoke with Apple.  They took more info from my system, looking at the Thunderbolt 3 station comparing to the USB3.0 station.  The Thunderbolt 3 shows up still as unmounted and strangely enough if you "show all drives" in disk utility, it shows up as Samsung not DJI.  Apparently Samsung makes the SSDs.  
Anyway, no solution yet but the Apple rep will send this new info to their engineering but they are leaning to saying that DJI will need to update their firmware.
So if the forum admin is reading this can you PLEASE help and push the support folks to put more effort into this?  I have been emailing them this whole time and am not getting anywhere ... responses but no plan.  It should not be the customer responsibility to work with Apple to fix this issue.  Plus you would think that DJI to Apple would get more attention.
This is my DJI case number:1435710
Thanks.
2018-11-1
Use props
Klayk
lvl.1
United States

Klayk Posted at 11-1 11:34
I just spoke with Apple.  They took more info from my system, looking at the Thunderbolt 3 station comparing to the USB3.0 station.  The Thunderbolt 3 shows up still as unmounted and strangely enough if you "show all drives" in disk utility, it shows up as Samsung not DJI.  Apparently Samsung makes the SSDs.  
Anyway, no solution yet but the Apple rep will send this new info to their engineering but they are leaning to saying that DJI will need to update their firmware.
So if the forum admin is reading this can you PLEASE help and push the support folks to put more effort into this?  I have been emailing them this whole time and am not getting anywhere ... responses but no plan.  It should not be the customer responsibility to work with Apple to fix this issue.  Plus you would think that DJI to Apple would get more attention.

The DJI support folks finally replied after going silent for a few days.  They "assure" me that "We're coordinating this concern (of the Thunderbolt 2 to new Mac Os) to the designated department to further check and provide the solution to the issue.  Rest assured that we're doing the best to help you with this concern".
He continued to say they will provide an update once he receives it from them.
I let him know that there are frustrated users that cant download their footage and don't want to spend more $$ to get by.
2018-11-1
Use props
Klayk
lvl.1
United States

Klayk Posted at 11-1 15:49
The DJI support folks finally replied after going silent for a few days.  They "assure" me that "We're coordinating this concern (of the Thunderbolt 2 to new Mac Os) to the designated department to further check and provide the solution to the issue.  Rest assured that we're doing the best to help you with this concern".
He continued to say they will provide an update once he receives it from them.
I let him know that there are frustrated users that cant download their footage and don't want to spend more $$ to get by.

Sorry but no real updates on this issue.
No update from Apple.
DJI did email me yesterday saying they are working on the issue but no progress provided.
2018-11-6
Use props
vpvideo
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2770669 ft
  • >>>
United States

Same issue here.
Has anyone confirmed if it will work after a downgrade to High Sierra?  I'm about ready to try that as I have a shoot coming up that I need to do in ProRes.
2018-11-7
Use props
vpvideo
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

So I went ahead and setup dual boot mode on my MacBook and I can confirm that everything works exactly as it should on High Sierra. So I guess I'll be running dual boot until things change.

BTW, I still can't get over the speed of this thing! Pulled 200gb in under 2 minutes! (dumped on internal SSD)

Details:
- MacBook Pro 2017 2TB
- Dual Boot Mode: 1TB for Mojave Beta 10.14.2 (CineSSD Station T3 does not work), 1TB for High Sierra 10.13.6 (CineSSD Station T3 works exactly as should)

Setting up dual boot mode is super easy, no erasing disks, etc. Back up first ;)
- Go to "Disk Utility" and create new volume ("+" on top left) and allocate how ever much space you need and name it (mine is "Macintosh High Sierra")
- Next you need to create a bootable drive, use instructions here https://www.imore.com/how-make-bootable-installer-drive-downgrade
- With the bootable drive plugged in, restart holding down the "option" key and then boot from the "High Sierra Installer" drive
- Proceed through installation and make sure you select your new volume/partition "Macintosh High Sierra" for it to install on.

And that's it! To switch between the systems, just restart while holding the "option" key and select which system you want. Your original system will remain under "Macintosh HD". When your done with it (e.g. T3 starts working on Mojave), just go to "Disk Utility" and remove it. It's that simple.
Hope that helps someone!

2018-11-8
Use props
Klayk
lvl.1
United States

vpvideo Posted at 11-8 08:17
So I went ahead and setup dual boot mode on my MacBook and I can confirm that everything works exactly as it should on High Sierra. So I guess I'll be running dual boot until things change.

BTW, I still can't get over the speed of this thing! Pulled 200gb in under 2 minutes! (dumped on internal SSD)

Great news!  And not too surprising.  I let both DJI and Apple know.  
Although, Apple just today said they were basically closing my case since they could not find anything wrong with Mojave.  Maybe with this new info they will continue to work the issue.
DJI emails me daily with a "we are still working on the issue".
2018-11-8
Use props
vpvideo
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

Klayk Posted at 11-8 21:25
Great news!  And not too surprising.  I let both DJI and Apple know.  
Although, Apple just today said they were basically closing my case since they could not find anything wrong with Mojave.  Maybe with this new info they will continue to work the issue.
DJI emails me daily with a "we are still working on the issue".

Doesn't really make sense that it would be an Apple issue. Every other T3 or USB-C device I have still works fine. I'm assuming it's just a firmware issue on DJI's end, but we'll see...

BTW, I received a general news email this morning from DJI about the issue and telling everyone to use High Sierra until it's fixed.
I like how DJI is starting to update people about somewhat common issues like this. I received another email last week as well about the voltage glitch with the TB50 and TB55 batteries.

2018-11-9
Use props
Klayk
lvl.1
United States

vpvideo Posted at 11-9 07:25
Doesn't really make sense that it would be an Apple issue. Every other T3 or USB-C device I have still works fine. I'm assuming it's just a firmware issue on DJI's end, but we'll see...

BTW, I received a general news email this morning from DJI about the issue and telling everyone to use High Sierra until it's fixed.

The latest from DJI:

"I already received an update from our Engineers and they advised that the issue is caused by the compatibility of Apple MacOS system version 10.14 (MacOS Mojave). The issue will not affect your data safety, and the issue will be fixed by updating the MacOS system in the future. Users who use the DJI CINESSD card reader (Thunderbolt 3) are advised to update carefully.

Since you already updated your MacOS to 10.14, please see the solutions below:

1. Downgrade the MacOS Mojave system to MacOS High Sierra system.  Make sure to backed up your Mac in the past. If yes, use the Time machine to recovery to MacOS High Sierra (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201250). If not, try solution 2 or 3.
2. Use a PC with the Windows operating system to copy the data, then edit the images on a Mac computer.
3. Use the DJI CINESSD Station (USB 3.0). This product at present still can be used with the MacOS Mojave system.

Thank you for your cooperation and support."
2018-11-10
Use props
flyingfun
First Officer
  • >>>
Belgium

anyone has any update on this ?
2018-12-10
Use props
mixchief
First Officer
Flight distance : 182057 ft
  • >>>
United States

Funny, I posted a question trying to avoid this issue with CineLight on my X5R ssd and reader. I am using Mojave in my office and like it but reluctant to upgrade at home for fear of rendering my system useless.
I wish someone would chime in about compatibility with the older X5R, there are still some of us using these systems and don't want to be left behind.
2018-12-11
Use props
seattle_helo
Second Officer
Flight distance : 56533511 ft
United States

This is still a problem. Horrible.
2019-1-24
Use props
Frank White 9
Second Officer
Flight distance : 879843 ft
United States

It’s a shame I can’t update me 2018 MBP
2019-1-25
Use props
djiuser_2dtWgxBXs1AE
lvl.1

Spain

This is still a problem. Horrible.

https://thegadgetwire.com/tencent-gaming-buddy/   https://thegadgetwire.com/tutuapp/     https://thegadgetwire.com/appvalley/

2019-1-30
Use props
seattle_helo
Second Officer
United States

Guys, can we please get an update on when to expect a fix?
2019-2-5
Use props
Rob W
Captain
Flight distance : 94390 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

I received the standard USB 3.0 Cinessd station, testing it on Mojave.  It worked just fine.  What that means is the issue with Mojave and the Thunderbolt Cinessd is NOT due to ExFAT file system but something to do with the Thunderbolt drive itself.  I'll update Apple and keep you updated on what they find.

Hmmm.. I tested my CineSSD USB on Mojave, and it did not work. It did not find it at all. It works under High Sierra. *Edit* It works, a hickup on a USB port.
2019-2-5
Use props
Klayk
lvl.1
United States

Rob W Posted at 2-5 22:24
Hmmm.. I tested my CineSSD USB on Mojave, and it did not work. It did not find it at all. It works under High Sierra.

(see other forum topic: https://forum.dji.com/thread-171935-1-1.html)
December 19 was the last time I checked with DJI:
Ejay (大疆创新)
12月19日 CST19:22

Dear Klay,

Thank you for contacting DJI Support.

We appreciate you for getting back on us regarding your concern about your Thunderbolt 3. We have every desire to address your needs and provide the best solution available to resolve your issue as soon as possible.

First of all, I do apologize for the long wait for the update, currently it is still on process and will be resolve in the future. The provided solution for the meantime is still to downgrade the MacOS Mojave system to MacOS High Sierra system. The issue will not affect your data safety, and the issue will be fixed by updating the MacOS system in the future.

Should you have further questions, feel free to contact us.

Thank you for choosing DJI.
Best Regards,
Ejay
DJI Technical Support
Youtube: http://s.dji.com/Youtube-DJI
2019-2-6
Use props
fans3a27f77e
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8621595 ft
  • >>>
United States

Now I'm past the return period for this $300 paperweight. I don't understand,  what is the next step for this to be resolved,  is it on Apple's end with a software update?  What are we waiting for?
2019-2-6
Use props
ardian
lvl.4
Flight distance : 455197 ft
  • >>>
United States

I received the standard USB 3.0 Cinessd station, testing it on Mojave.  It worked just fine.  What that means is the issue with Mojave and the Thunderbolt Cinessd is NOT due to ExFAT file system but something to do with the Thunderbolt drive itself.  I'll update Apple and keep you updated on what they find.

thank you...
2019-2-6
Use props
Klayk
lvl.1
United States

fans3a27f77e Posted at 2-6 17:22
Now I'm past the return period for this $300 paperweight. I don't understand,  what is the next step for this to be resolved,  is it on Apple's end with a software update?  What are we waiting for?

The last DJI response as I posted above was 12/19/18 so I replied to his/DJI's email just now asking your question as to who owns the issue and what is the status and is there any idea of a date for a fix.
From DJIs perspective, based on my email conversations, they know it works fine with Sierra so you can just down grade your mac OS and get the functionality back.
Its frustrating but not surprising.
2019-2-6
Use props
MPHOTO
lvl.1
Flight distance : 947339 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Same here. Somebody should do their homework and sort this out quickly.
2019-2-9
Use props
Klayk
lvl.1
United States

So get this ... I contacted DJI 2/6 again and in about a day their response said they would need to contact eng and get back to me. Just today, 2/11 they wrote back saying "We can only wait for Apple to solve this problem."
They did not answer my first email question as to when, so I wrote back "Do you have a date when Apple will fix the issue?"  Their response was no, and I should contact Apple for the incompatibility issue.
Well, I did work with Apple and even though this is an issue with a 3rd party drive not working, they spent many days working with me, taking data etc to see what was going on.  In the end Apple said that DJI needs to work with Apple.
So there is your update.  DJI cant or wont fix the issue.  So I demanded a refund on a non-working product.  I'll let you know where it goes next.
2019-2-11
Use props
seattle_helo
Second Officer
United States

Horrible. And 'downgrading' the OS to HS is not a valid answer or workflow.
2019-2-13
Use props
Klayk
lvl.1
United States

I provided an updated in this other thread (oops, picked the wrong one but info is the same), and its not good news. https://forum.dji.com/thread-180562-1-1.html
2019-3-5
Use props
fans9da6e885
lvl.3
Flight distance : 485049 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI WHEN WILL WE HAVE A FIRMWARE UPDATE TO WORK WITH THE NEW OPERATING SYSTEM???????  PLEASE PROVIDE AN ANSWER!!!
2019-3-11
Use props
flyingfun
First Officer
  • >>>
Belgium

fans9da6e885 Posted at 3-11 12:46
DJI WHEN WILL WE HAVE A FIRMWARE UPDATE TO WORK WITH THE NEW OPERATING SYSTEM???????  PLEASE PROVIDE AN ANSWER!!!

do you think it’s a firmware only issue or an os issue ?
i hope the firmware is user upgradeable....
2019-3-18
Use props
seattle_helo
Second Officer
United States

Finally working again after the 10.14.4 update. Thank you.
2019-3-26
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules