Study Finds Drones Flying Into Danger
821 7 2018-10-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Dewey3
lvl.2
United States

Researchers from Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University deployed DJI drone detection technology around Florida airports this year: https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all-news/2018/october/24/study-finds-drones-flying-into-danger

2018-10-26
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Thank you for posting this article, I know in Ireland flying close to airports by drones has increased exponentially over the last 3 years, I think a lot of it is down to ignorance, hence the need to educate new flyers as well as many of the older so called pilots.
I believe we will see limiters set on drones before and until some course is taken by new flyers, and from what I hear lately, this would not be a bad course of action to make drone flyers aware of the need to know the rules.
2018-10-26
Use props
Flycaster
Second Officer
United States

You cannot fix stupidity....
Period.
2018-10-26
Use props
Boffin
Second Officer
Australia

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-10-26 11:05
Thank you for posting this article, I know in Ireland flying close to airports by drones has increased exponentially over the last 3 years, I think a lot of it is down to ignorance, hence the need to educate new flyers as well as many of the older so called pilots.
I believe we will see limiters set on drones before and until some course is taken by new flyers, and from what I hear lately, this would not be a bad course of action to make drone flyers aware of the need to know the rules.

I believe that local laws should be enacted so that it is mandatory for retailers to include relevant safety data sheets applicable to the local regulations with each sale. Then at least offenders cannot plead ignorance of the law.

This shall not deter the idiots who deliberately fly in restricted places but at least new flyers will be informed of the regulations
2018-10-26
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Boffin Posted at 2018-10-26 13:08
I believe that local laws should be enacted so that it is mandatory for retailers to include relevant safety data sheets applicable to the local regulations with each sale. Then at least offenders cannot plead ignorance of the law.

This shall not deter the idiots who deliberately fly in restricted places but at least new flyers will be informed of the regulations

I fully agree, there’s a big loophole there at the minute.
2018-10-26
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Then at least offenders cannot plead ignorance of the law.

I think you are talking about FBI / Hillary defense...
We really don't need any more laws.  Enforcement of existing laws is what is needed.

2018-10-26
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

''The Embry-Riddle research team suggested another step DJI could take: incorporating the limits for safe drone flights near airports defined by the FAA UAS Facility Maps, which were created with input from local air traffic control staff to divide controlled airspace into grid squares,''

That is all well and good, well sort of.  Issue being long abandon or {{supposed}} airfields in FAA database and used with Facility Maps.  

For good of everyone, FAA needs to review their entire airport database.  Part of which would be verifying an airfield is still routinely used, and it is not some bogus airfield setup for bragging, part of tax break scheme, or flying a personal RC.

2018-10-26
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

I don’t believe the FBI have any jurisdiction outside the USA , so we won’t have to worry about that lot.
2018-10-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules