Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
daishi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1106325 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Hi,

just a heads up. I just realised that the lateral sensors of the Mavic 2 that are only working in some autonomous flight modes but not in "normal" flight mode work in Active Track even if you are not tracking!

This way you can just enter Active Track and fly manually and all sensors still work! Might be usefull in tight spaces and you can fly faster than in tripod mode.
You only loose the distance and altitude reading...

Hope fully they also work in normal flight mode in the next firmware release.
2018-10-27
Use props
Alex B.
lvl.4
Flight distance : 21105262 ft

Spain

Thanks for sharing your findings! Very usefull!
But I keep wondering why DJI disabled the side sensors in normal flight mode??? As the sensors installed on the sides are exactly the same as on the front and on the back!!!

Fly safely and enjoy
Alex
2018-10-27
Use props
FatherXmas
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4058619 ft
  • >>>
United States

Great find! I'll go try it out if it ever quits raining.
2018-10-27
Use props
Zatx
lvl.4
Flight distance : 158166 ft
United States

There are so many restricted features with the M2P that can be worked around like this that it really makes you wonder why they put the restrictions there in the first place. In every case the drone is physically capable of performing the task, but Dji imposed limitations for no clear reason. Like the side sensors not working in "normal" mode. Why on earth would it be NORMAL to disable these sensors? Heck, I need the side sensors way more than the forward sensors. I can freaking see what's in front of me, not beside me.

I'm convinced that Dji software "engineers" don't ever fly the drones they are coding for and that their marketing department decides feature sets based on ...well... marketing reasons and not the capability of the craft.
2018-10-27
Use props
daishi
lvl.4
  • >>>
Germany

Zatx Posted at 2018-10-27 07:21
There are so many restricted features with the M2P that can be worked around like this that it really makes you wonder why they put the restrictions there in the first place. In every case the drone is physically capable of performing the task, but Dji imposed limitations for no clear reason. Like the side sensors not working in "normal" mode. Why on earth would it be NORMAL to disable these sensors? Heck, I need the side sensors way more than the forward sensors. I can freaking see what's in front of me, not beside me.

I'm convinced that Dji software "engineers" don't ever fly the drones they are coding for and that their marketing department decides feature sets based on ...well... marketing reasons and not the capability of the craft.

Yep, I guess so, too!
When there is enough processor power on the drone to have the side sensors on in autonomous modes it should be a walk in the park for the CPU to process the sensor data of all sensors in manual flight modes...
2018-10-27
Use props
Alex B.
lvl.4
Flight distance : 21105262 ft

Spain

daishi Posted at 2018-10-27 09:38
Yep, I guess so, too!
When there is enough processor power on the drone to have the side sensors on in autonomous modes it should be a walk in the park for the CPU to process the sensor data of all sensors in manual flight modes...

My guess is that DJI purely limited the side sensors for marketing reasons!
To make the side sensors work all the time ON THE NEXT MODEL

Fly safely all and enjoy
Alex
2018-10-27
Use props
xagoras
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1357589 ft
Greece

I believe the reason is mainly to preserve battery, thus producing longer flight times out of the batteries.
2018-10-27
Use props
daishi
lvl.4
  • >>>
Germany

Maybe. It would be nice to have an option in the app so we can decide between flight time and safety.
2018-10-27
Use props
Vendex
lvl.4
Flight distance : 16722920 ft
  • >>>
Bulgaria

Alex B. Posted at 2018-10-27 05:24
Thanks for sharing your findings! Very usefull!
But I keep wondering why DJI disabled the side sensors in normal flight mode??? As the sensors installed on the sides are exactly the same as on the front and on the back!!!

"sensors" from the sides is not the same, they are wide-angle
2018-10-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules