Offline maps
1053 5 2018-10-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans6d997570
lvl.2
Flight distance : 42457 ft
United States

I am trying to film some rivers that are in the boonies so no cell or internet service. I am testing the offline maps before I drive out there and waste my time. I have updated to the newest firmware on both the aircraft and app. When I open the app, the mapbox display is black. I have been able to occasionally get the map to show if I force stop the app and then open it back up, but that doesn't work most of the time. Sometimes I can get it to work if I uninstall the app and reinstall it. But that requires an internet connection. I am using an NVidea Shield K1. Any thoughts on how to make this think work so I can actually use it?

2018-10-27
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha fans6d,

Good choice of tablet.  I have one to.  A couple of updates ago, I downloaded the map provider software independent of the DJI GO, DJI GO 4 application.  This allows the provider app to update maps for use when you are not on the Internet and you need to test this to see if this is working (independent of the Internet).  This may not work anymore.  But, if you have your tablet GPS enabled and the provider map service enabled, the tablet can connect the dots and provide your DJI software with the map independent of the Internet.  No guarantees, but possible.

Hope this helps!

Aloha and Drone On!
2018-10-28
Use props
Peterx
First Officer
Flight distance : 1499708 ft
Germany

Morning fans6d,
There is a topic about the map box in the Go app v4.
I use the Go app v3 and i always get the map via google and via  here map. May be that thread can helps you to get the offline maps you need for flight. It´´s not the wonder medicine but a way to get it.
2018-10-28
Use props
Poporacer
lvl.2
United States

Cetacean Posted at 2018-10-28 01:13
Aloha fans6d,

Good choice of tablet.  I have one to.  A couple of updates ago, I downloaded the map provider software independent of the DJI GO, DJI GO 4 application.  This allows the provider app to update maps for use when you are not on the Internet and you need to test this to see if this is working (independent of the Internet).  This may not work anymore.  But, if you have your tablet GPS enabled and the provider map service enabled, the tablet can connect the dots and provide your DJI software with the map independent of the Internet.  No guarantees, but possible.

So how do I the map provider software? Go to Mapbox's site? The only place I see to download a map tells me it is forbidden. I did sign up for an account.
2018-10-28
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Poporacer Posted at 2018-10-28 04:32
So how do I the map provider software? Go to Mapbox's site? The only place I see to download a map tells me it is forbidden. I did sign up for an account.

Aloha Popo,

MapBox may not be as easy as "Here" was.  You have to look for MapBox maps to get a proper Mapbox map web site.  The other ones are API, etc. sites that have nothing to do with maps and flying.

I just tried to see if I could download an application, but it looks like DJI pays for our use of the MapBox web program.  This means my past approach will not work.  Sorry.

My best suggestion is that you figure out your best link to the Internet near your flying area and then get a good connection when you start up your system.  In my case, I set up the connection first, close to the Internet source, and then go out to my flying area where small updates of the map do not include the import of a lot of DATA like the original set-up.  

Unfortunately, trying to cache maps is almost impossible under these circumstances.  You have to leave the tablet on the whole time.

Hope this helps!

Aloha and Drone On!
2018-10-28
Use props
Poporacer
lvl.2
United States

So in other words, DJI Go is useless for now and DJI will warn you that if you use Litchi, it will void your warranty. Litchi will cache maps no problem. So it looks like DJI wants us to have a big paperweight for those that purchased it to film in remote areas?
2018-11-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules