Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
#Autumn# in the Upper Left Cinematic+ Tips
645 2 2018-10-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
AlphaFlightNW
First Officer
Flight distance : 784265 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hello,

Autumn in the Pacific Northwest is a bit different that most places as evergreen trees typically dominate the surrronding landscapes. As you go further out, however, the more breathtaking the landscapes becomes. So, being a person on a very low budget, I combined shots not only of the Portland area, but made it a point to go out into the foothills of Mt St Helens. This leads us to tip number one,

Utilize ND Filters and Manual Settings

This was a point of skepticism for me was the usefullness of ND filters, but after having flown all summer with these filters, they most certainly help. Netural Density filters reduce the amount of light entering the camera, effectively lowing the f-stop while allowing the shutter rate to match the frame rate. The rule of thumb typically is that your shutter speed should be twice your framerate, as this prevents some stuttering with moving objects. As we transition to Autumn, the best ND filters to use in cloudy environments are typically ND 2, 4 or 8, though if the lighting is optimal you may not even require any at all. Manual mode also helps to complement the ND filters by locking the exposure. In addition to the video aspect, photography is also benefited by ND filters by allowing longer shutterspeeds, with filters ranging into the ND1000+. This creates the common blur associated with waterfalls or light trail photography, all from a stable aerial platform.

Use a variety of shots, dont be afraid to experiment.

This can almost go without saying but I bring it up because over the past 8 months of flying I have learned alot. Typically, some of the more risky shots, that you are sure you can pull off, typically are the best, and DJI has gone in to the aircraft to give you plenty of ways to help improve your flying. Obstacle avoidance and tripod mode have been invaluable to me as it allows me to plan tricky shots while understanding where the aircraft is going to detect certain obstacles. Definetly get used to flying your aircraft out in a wide open space before attempting any confined spaces, but as long as you understand how to get your shot and not lose your aircraft is definetly a big plus. That being said, theres really no right or wrong answers when it comes to altitude and speed in shots as you will find through experiementation and exploring each location that you can almost visualize how each shot fits into the bigger picture.

Using Zoom and other perspective shifting elements
The top reason why I love my Mavic 2 Zoom is that it is able to give new perspectives by zooming. In the video below, I manually performed a dolly zoom as the sun was fading to bring out the silhouette of a fir tree, to great effect In addition to the dolly zoom, hyperlapse has helped create stunning videos that are suprisingly stable despite windy conditions. Combining the zoom and the aerial photography aspect allows for flexibility of shots, meaning instead of having to go extremely far or high to get the right shot, zooming helps gain the same perspective while operating from a safe distance from animals, people or vehicles.

Overall, its been an amazing year learning to fly, DJI has made some extrodinary equipment for the average consumer all the way up to the professional level. My experiences have lead me to get my part 107 license and I am now looking for job oppurtunites either as a mapping service or wilderness explorer, bringing back perspectives people may have never thought possible. Below I have a few photos I have taken recently and a short cinematic fall in my area.

Grist Mill from above, Mavic 2 Zoom

Gathering of trees, Mavic 2 zoom

2018-10-28
Use props
DJI Panda
Administrator
Flight distance : 405039 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Very useful suggestions. Thanks for sharing!
2018-10-28
Use props
AlphaFlightNW
First Officer
Flight distance : 784265 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI Panda Posted at 2018-10-28 23:51
Very useful suggestions. Thanks for sharing!

No problem, This community has taught me a lot and inspired me so this is my way of giving back
2018-10-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules