Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Will DJI AirSense be available on Mavic 2 Pro/Zoom?
3160 12 2018-10-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
tylerjhill
Second Officer
Flight distance : 33320992 ft
United States

This morning the Mavic 2 Enterprise was officially unveiled! One of the interesting new features available is called DJI AirSense, which enhances safety by providing instant real-time positioning alerts on nearby manned aircraft.

Seems like an awesome feature for all of the Mavic 2 series - is there any indication if the Mavic 2 Pro/Zoom will eventiually receive this feature? If there are no underlying dependencies on special hardware, would love to see this available in a future firmware update!

On page 30 of the M2E manual there is some documentation about AirSense, and it appears to be based on ADS-B transceiver messages - hopefully could be supported withthe prescence of an internet connection for M2P/Z.

https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... _User_Manual_EN.pdf  

What do you guys think?

https://www.dji.com/mavic-2-enterprise

2018-10-29
Use props
Keule
Captain
Flight distance : 3317549 ft
  • >>>
United States

No, not going to be put into existing Mavic2 series. AirSense requires a dedicated hardware in the aircraft to receive ADS-B signals (1090ES (RTCA DO-260) or UAT (RTCA Do-282) standards).
2018-10-29
Use props
DJI Stephen
Super Moderator

Hi tylerjhill. Thank you for the inquiry. As of the moment, we still have no information if this feature will be available to the DJI Mavic 2 Pro & to the DJI Mavic 2 Zoom. Please check our official website for the latest updates on all DJI products. Thank you for your support.
2018-10-29
Use props
txtechnonerd
Second Officer
Flight distance : 175027 ft
  • >>>
United States

I think that thanks to recently passed legislation, that this (or something like it) will be coming soon to all drones...but I'm sure it will be only in newly released drones at first.
2018-10-29
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 9395432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Detection like this will be mandatory on new drones for sure as they evolve in line with legislation - good points raised by txt
2018-10-29
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 4095415 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

These new enterprise drones will more than likely require access to NFZ on a regular basis so would require AirSense, I don’t believe we will see this tech in consumer drones, the potential for hobbyists to try flying in NFZ might cause more of a nuisance, I think we will see it in commercial drones Matrice, Inspire and I believe it should be available in phantom RTK .
2018-10-29
Use props
davidmartingraf
Captain
Flight distance : 22874766 ft
  • >>>
United States

Nicely done - thanks again for sharing!
2018-10-29
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Captain
Flight distance : 14408164 ft
  • >>>
Singapore

DJI Stephen Posted at 2018-10-29 11:18
Hi tylerjhill. Thank you for the inquiry. As of the moment, we still have no information if this feature will be available to the DJI Mavic 2 Pro & to the DJI Mavic 2 Zoom. Please check our official website for the latest updates on all DJI products. Thank you for your support.

I think this is a great idea to incorporate such mini-transponders into existing aircraft as an option. It will opening up flying opportunities in places where light aircraft operators want to keep all drones out of the air so that they can have as much access to airspace as possible.
1-21 15:58
Use props
gnirtS
Captain
Flight distance : 2992731 ft
United Kingdom

ADS-B is relatively useless for drone fliers currently.  The vast majority of aircraft that are likely to come into conflict with a drone (light aircraft, helicopters, military aircraft etc) dont have ADS-B transponders so won't show up.
Yes the US is trying to get every aircraft fitted but its a long way from happening and the rest of the world it isnt even planned.

If you're really that paranoid you can make your own ADS-B receiver for about $30.
1-22 08:04
Use props
DJI Stephen
Super Moderator

Mike-the-cat Posted at 1-21 15:58
I think this is a great idea to incorporate such mini-transponders into existing aircraft as an option. It will opening up flying opportunities in places where light aircraft operators want to keep all drones out of the air so that they can have as much access to airspace as possible.

Hello and good day. Mike-the-cat. Thank you for the additional information. This information is noted and thank you for your support.
1-24 08:59
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Captain
  • >>>
Singapore

gnirtS Posted at 1-22 08:04
ADS-B is relatively useless for drone fliers currently.  The vast majority of aircraft that are likely to come into conflict with a drone (light aircraft, helicopters, military aircraft etc) dont have ADS-B transponders so won't show up.
Yes the US is trying to get every aircraft fitted but its a long way from happening and the rest of the world it isnt even planned.

I was thinking along the lines that if we fitted our craft with such, the naysayers would have less reason to object to flying in areas where light aircraft / choppers were there first and want us out.

Transponder rather than receiver would be more appropriate in this setting.
1-25 22:35
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Captain
  • >>>
Singapore

gnirtS Posted at 1-22 08:04

I was thinking along the lines that if we fitted our craft with such, the naysayers would have less reason to object to flying in areas where light aircraft / choppers were there first and want us out.

Transponder rather than receiver would be more appropriate in this setting.
1-25 22:35
Use props
bgill
lvl.2
Flight distance : 278843 ft
  • >>>
Germany

ADS-B is developing to a standard globally and my question why it needs an active HW component.

Why not creating the  ADS-B Information software based and export it to the  server as a virtual transponder (all data on location / height, speed, etc. is available in the App which is running on a smartphone)
Equally the  surrounding air traffic data (receiver function) could get imported via the  ADS-B API.

3-3 05:38
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules