Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Will DJI AirSense be available on Mavic 2 Pro/Zoom?
9735 21 2018-10-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
tylerjhill
Second Officer
Flight distance : 34014006 ft
United States

This morning the Mavic 2 Enterprise was officially unveiled! One of the interesting new features available is called DJI AirSense, which enhances safety by providing instant real-time positioning alerts on nearby manned aircraft.

Seems like an awesome feature for all of the Mavic 2 series - is there any indication if the Mavic 2 Pro/Zoom will eventiually receive this feature? If there are no underlying dependencies on special hardware, would love to see this available in a future firmware update!

On page 30 of the M2E manual there is some documentation about AirSense, and it appears to be based on ADS-B transceiver messages - hopefully could be supported withthe prescence of an internet connection for M2P/Z.

https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... _User_Manual_EN.pdf  

What do you guys think?

https://www.dji.com/mavic-2-enterprise

2018-10-29
Use props
Keule
Captain
Flight distance : 3733015 ft
  • >>>
United States

No, not going to be put into existing Mavic2 series. AirSense requires a dedicated hardware in the aircraft to receive ADS-B signals (1090ES (RTCA DO-260) or UAT (RTCA Do-282) standards).
2018-10-29
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hi tylerjhill. Thank you for the inquiry. As of the moment, we still have no information if this feature will be available to the DJI Mavic 2 Pro & to the DJI Mavic 2 Zoom. Please check our official website for the latest updates on all DJI products. Thank you for your support.
2018-10-29
Use props
txtechnonerd
Second Officer
Flight distance : 175075 ft
  • >>>
United States

I think that thanks to recently passed legislation, that this (or something like it) will be coming soon to all drones...but I'm sure it will be only in newly released drones at first.
2018-10-29
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Detection like this will be mandatory on new drones for sure as they evolve in line with legislation - good points raised by txt
2018-10-29
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

These new enterprise drones will more than likely require access to NFZ on a regular basis so would require AirSense, I don’t believe we will see this tech in consumer drones, the potential for hobbyists to try flying in NFZ might cause more of a nuisance, I think we will see it in commercial drones Matrice, Inspire and I believe it should be available in phantom RTK .
2018-10-29
Use props
davidmartingraf
Captain
Flight distance : 84805085 ft
  • >>>
United States

Nicely done - thanks again for sharing!
2018-10-29
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Captain
Flight distance : 21621841 ft
  • >>>
Singapore

DJI Stephen Posted at 2018-10-29 11:18
Hi tylerjhill. Thank you for the inquiry. As of the moment, we still have no information if this feature will be available to the DJI Mavic 2 Pro & to the DJI Mavic 2 Zoom. Please check our official website for the latest updates on all DJI products. Thank you for your support.

I think this is a great idea to incorporate such mini-transponders into existing aircraft as an option. It will opening up flying opportunities in places where light aircraft operators want to keep all drones out of the air so that they can have as much access to airspace as possible.
2019-1-21
Use props
gnirtS
Captain
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

ADS-B is relatively useless for drone fliers currently.  The vast majority of aircraft that are likely to come into conflict with a drone (light aircraft, helicopters, military aircraft etc) dont have ADS-B transponders so won't show up.
Yes the US is trying to get every aircraft fitted but its a long way from happening and the rest of the world it isnt even planned.

If you're really that paranoid you can make your own ADS-B receiver for about $30.
2019-1-22
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Mike-the-cat Posted at 1-21 15:58
I think this is a great idea to incorporate such mini-transponders into existing aircraft as an option. It will opening up flying opportunities in places where light aircraft operators want to keep all drones out of the air so that they can have as much access to airspace as possible.

Hello and good day. Mike-the-cat. Thank you for the additional information. This information is noted and thank you for your support.
2019-1-24
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Captain
  • >>>
Singapore

gnirtS Posted at 1-22 08:04
ADS-B is relatively useless for drone fliers currently.  The vast majority of aircraft that are likely to come into conflict with a drone (light aircraft, helicopters, military aircraft etc) dont have ADS-B transponders so won't show up.
Yes the US is trying to get every aircraft fitted but its a long way from happening and the rest of the world it isnt even planned.

I was thinking along the lines that if we fitted our craft with such, the naysayers would have less reason to object to flying in areas where light aircraft / choppers were there first and want us out.

Transponder rather than receiver would be more appropriate in this setting.
2019-1-25
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Captain
  • >>>
Singapore

gnirtS Posted at 1-22 08:04

I was thinking along the lines that if we fitted our craft with such, the naysayers would have less reason to object to flying in areas where light aircraft / choppers were there first and want us out.

2019-1-25
Use props
bgill
lvl.1
Flight distance : 278914 ft
  • >>>
Germany

ADS-B is developing to a standard globally and my question why it needs an active HW component.

Why not creating the  ADS-B Information software based and export it to the  server as a virtual transponder (all data on location / height, speed, etc. is available in the App which is running on a smartphone)
Equally the  surrounding air traffic data (receiver function) could get imported via the  ADS-B API.

2019-3-3
Use props
Capt. Mickey
lvl.1
United States

gnirtS Posted at 2019-1-22 08:04

Oh contraire, all US aircraft flying in airspace requiring a transponder MUST have ADS-A since Jan 01, 2019!
2020-4-16
Use props
NightThunder
First Officer
Flight distance : 106020 ft
United States

ADS-B out in the current FAA NPRM for drones is generally forbidden and not required. I believe there are exceptions for some commercial operations??? Does not affect the majority of us. ADS-B in is optional but not required in the NPRM. Since it is in only in it cannot broadcast the position of the drone making it useful to only the drone operator. DJI AirSense can then display positional and altitude of surrounding traffic to the drone operator. I believe these statements to be true.
2020-4-17
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU!
First Officer
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

Mike-the-cat Posted at 2019-1-21 15:58

Incorrect. This would require CERTIFICATION.
2020-4-20
Use props
djiuser_1rR3tX9v1m2R
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1290922 ft
Netherlands

Hey I am new heard about airsense
I have mavic 2 zoom but cannot find it in menu app. So maybe it's not available?
Screenshot_20201122_195600_com.facebook.orca.jpg
2020-11-22
Use props
djiuser_1rR3tX9v1m2R
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1290922 ft
Netherlands

I have mavic 2 zoom but cannot find it in menu app. So maybe it's not available?
Screenshot_20201122_195600_com.facebook.orca.jpg
2020-11-22
Use props
JohnLietzke
Captain
Flight distance : 3125968 ft
United States

Mike-the-cat Posted at 2019-1-25 22:35

I am in the US where ADS-B is being more aggressively being implemented on small, personal and private aircraft.  All commercial aircraft are already required to have it.  It is really a great feature and saved me one time when a low flying personal plane was flying very low with authorization along the Surfline in San Diego.  The areas I fly in predominately require all aircraft, with the exception of military ,to have ADS-B.  

Commercial aircraft have never given a relevant warning where there was any potential safety issue due to the altitude which they operate at after takeoff.  It is the small, private and personal planes and helicopter that seem to be the most significant risk factors.  Medical helicopters and amateur pilots are by far the worst and most dangerous.  According to the FAA over half the private, small and personal aircraft have already been retrofitted with the feature.

All that being said, I think it is absolutely useless in countries where it is not required for small aircraft.  They in my opinion and experience pose the greatest risk to drones fliers.  In the EU they are still working on getting commercial passenger planes retrofitted and have extended the mandatory implementation date out 3 years.

I read an article from the FAA discussing the transponder/ADS-B Out idea for drones.  The rational on not requiring drones to have this technology was based on two main concepts.  UAVs are required to make way for manned aircraft and that the range of the ADS-B transponder would give pilots too many warning of other irrelevant aircraft which would be distracting.  There was also significant discussion of reducing the signal power for ADS-B Out transponders on drones to prevent air to air collision of automated and piloted drones.  But it would ultimately require Federal legislation to create a new standard for signal power and range.

From the laws and regulations being proposed and passed around the world it appears the FAA's philosophy greatly differs from the rest of the world.  In the United States, the FAA and legislation seem to encourage responsible drone use and place an onus of responsibility on the operator.  While the EU seems to want to prevent drone use even going so far as to retroactively restrict existing drones which meet the standards at the time of sale.  
2020-11-22
Use props
JohnLietzke
Captain
United States

djiuser_1rR3tX9v1m2R Posted at 11-22 11:16

The Mavic 2 Pro/Zoom do not have ADS-B hardware.  
2020-11-22
Use props
JohnLietzke
Captain
United States

bgill Posted at 2019-3-3 05:38
ADS-B is developing to a standard globally and my question why it needs an active HW component.

Why not creating the  ADS-B Information software based and export it to the  server as a virtual transponder (all data on location / height, speed, etc. is available in the App which is running on a smartphone)

I like the idea but it requires a persistent and reliable internet connection to work.  ADS-B is designed to be a standalone system which does not require a network connection.  
2020-11-22
Use props
JohnLietzke
Captain
United States

Capt. Mickey Posted at 4-16 15:42
Oh contraire, all US aircraft flying in airspace requiring a transponder MUST have ADS-A since Jan 01, 2019!

Thanks for the information.  That is correct that most metropolitan and populated areas here in the US do require ADS-B when entering the area.  

As a pilot who understand the workings firsthand of ADS-B do you thing that it would be distracting to have warning show up for every drone within get receivers range?   Would you be in favor of creating a new ADS-B Out protocol standard with less range for drones and what adverse effects do think could be associated with doing so?
2020-11-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules