Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Disable selfie mode?
6386 19 2018-10-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dbthump
lvl.1
United States

Simple as that.  Is there a way to disable selfie mode?  If not, I think it would be a nice option in the next firmware update.
2018-10-29
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Hi there. Thanks for reaching DJI. I just want to clarify, what do you mean by Selfie mode on the Ronin S? Because upon checking, we do not have any Selfie mode feature for the Ronin S.
2018-10-29
Use props
dbthump
lvl.1
United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 2018-10-29 15:10
Hi there. Thanks for reaching DJI. I just want to clarify, what do you mean by Selfie mode on the Ronin S? Because upon checking, we do not have any Selfie mode feature for the Ronin S.

When you press the button three times quickly, it rotates 180* and cannot be stopped.  This pulls all my cables and I have to shut it off.
2018-10-29
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

dbthump Posted at 2018-10-29 15:13
When you press the button three times quickly, it rotates 180* and cannot be stopped.  This pulls all my cables and I have to shut it off.

Thanks for your explanation, the Ronin-S should only rotate 180° and then the camera faces us when we press three times the Trigger button, it should not keep rotating, and if you don't want the selfie mode, please avoid pressing three times the Trigger button. Thanks.
2018-10-29
Use props
bob_angie
lvl.3
Flight distance : 321519 ft
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-10-29 22:18
Thanks for your explanation, the Ronin-S should only rotate 180° and then the camera faces us when we press three times the Trigger button, it should not keep rotating, and if you don't want the selfie mode, please avoid pressing three times the Trigger button. Thanks.

This definitely needs to be an option in the Ronin app, if you could put in a feature request to disable the triple tap function that would be GREAT. It's very easy to accidentally triple tap, but I cannot think of a single reason someone would intentionally use this feature on a professional set.

Thanks.
2018-10-29
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

bob_angie Posted at 2018-10-29 22:35
This definitely needs to be an option in the Ronin app, if you could put in a feature request to disable the triple tap function that would be GREAT. It's very easy to accidentally triple tap, but I cannot think of a single reason someone would intentionally use this feature on a professional set.

Thanks.

Bob, thanks for your input, if so, we will forward your need to our engineers for consideration in the future development. Appreciate your suggestion.
2018-10-29
Use props
dbthump
lvl.1
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-10-29 22:18
Thanks for your explanation, the Ronin-S should only rotate 180° and then the camera faces us when we press three times the Trigger button, it should not keep rotating, and if you don't want the selfie mode, please avoid pressing three times the Trigger button. Thanks.

I appreciate your replies, but it makes me wonder if you guys actually use this product.  First reply doesn't know it has a selfie mode, and your reply to "avoid"" pressing the button.  Of course I'm avoiding accidental pressing of buttons at all times.  If, In actual real use situations, this didn't happen I would not even think to suggest adding an option to disable it.  

2018-10-30
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

dbthump Posted at 2018-10-30 04:50
I appreciate your replies, but it makes me wonder if you guys actually use this product.  First reply doesn't know it has a selfie mode, and your reply to "avoid"" pressing the button.  Of course I'm avoiding accidental pressing of buttons at all times.  If, In actual real use situations, this didn't happen I would not even think to suggest adding an option to disable it.

Of course we use the device, we apologize for Natalia's question about the selfie mode, I just didn't realize that selfie mode is that easy to be triggered, your suggestion has been forwarded to our engineers for attention, sorry for the inconvenience caused.
But you mentioned that when pressing the Trigger button three times, the device will keep rotating? Any chance to share us a sample video?
2018-10-30
Use props
AVsupport
lvl.4
Flight distance : 618734 ft
  • >>>
Australia

In my test the RoninS does Not continue to rotate when the Trigger is triple-clicked ('selfie-mode' activation).
When the trigger is double-clicked, the gimbal returns in a reverse path to the forward facing orientation, thus making the operation fairly cable-safe.

Having said that however, I also agree with the suggestion to have a 'Disable Selfie-Mode' option in the menu.  
@Bob-angie, I like the option of using 'Selfie-Mode' when the RoninS is mounted on a Steadicam Arm: This way you are walking in the same direction as the talent you are walking in front of
2018-10-31
Use props
DJI-Paul
lvl.4
Flight distance : 41159547 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

The option to disable triple tap is coming in a future firmware.
2018-11-1
Use props
dbthump
lvl.1
United States

AVsupport Posted at 10-31 21:31
In my test the RoninS does Not continue to rotate when the Trigger is triple-clicked ('selfie-mode' activation).
When the trigger is double-clicked, the gimbal returns in a reverse path to the forward facing orientation, thus making the operation fairly cable-safe.

The issue I have come across: during some intense filming, with how I hold the gimbal (left hand on a 2nd add-on handle, my right hand holding the "neck" of the gimbal, I wrap my fingers around to pull focus during shots.  In my attached picture you can see my pinky and ring finger sit on top of the button.  And while I'm not trying to press it at all, sometimes I do and then it starts to rotate.  So while selfie mode is a "cool" feature for vloggers, I hardly consider it necessary for professional use.  

2018-11-1
Use props
Gregor Queck
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1638366 ft
Germany

DJI-Paul Posted at 11-1 00:10
The option to disable triple tap is coming in a future firmware.

°  That would be a possibility to implement an ininite roll mode without using an other user profile:
Triple tap activates infinite roll as set up in the app, LED’s 1+3, then 2 flush alternating red, the motors do nothing until the Ronin is in flashlight mode, then they turn green…  
Triple-or doubletap exits the flashlight mode.
2018-11-1
Use props
bob_angie
lvl.3
United States

AVsupport Posted at 10-31 21:31

Then you use the joystick to properly position the head without tangling your cables, I didn't say there was no reason to point the camera backward. I'm saying there's no reason to use triple tap, which whip pans the camera to be pointing directly at the operator. This is a feature from DJI's Osmo line, which is consumer grade, the Ronin line is industry grade and there's no reason industry professionals need a triple tap to auto-orient the gimbal head into selfie mode. The risk of accidentally triple tapping and tangling cables is too high, it's just not necessary.
2018-11-1
Use props
bob_angie
lvl.3
United States

Gregor Queck Posted at 11-1 06:21
°  That would be a possibility to implement an ininite roll mode without using an other user profile:
Triple tap activates infinite roll as set up in the app, LED’s 1+3, then 2 flush alternating red, the motors do nothing until the Ronin is in flashlight mode, then they turn green…  
Triple-or doubletap exits the flashlight mode.

The "infinite roll" isn't a one size fits all, customization for speed and reaction of joystick control is necessary to get the right shot, that's why you have to create a profile that you can customize. Your option either A creates a 4th profile or B makes a dedicated mode that cannot be customized like "sport mode" I really don't like either of those options. I am in favor of the Ronin app creating motor profiles and smooth track profiles that you can export and import whenever you want. There are too many lens combinations for only 3 profiles, but I would rather load alternate profiles through the app, not more button presses.

we may get there yet.
2018-11-1
Use props
Gregor Queck
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1638366 ft
Germany

bob_angie Posted at 11-1 19:02
The "infinite roll" isn't a one size fits all, customization for speed and reaction of joystick control is necessary to get the right shot, that's why you have to create a profile that you can customize. Your option either A creates a 4th profile or B makes a dedicated mode that cannot be customized like "sport mode" I really don't like either of those options. I am in favor of the Ronin app creating motor profiles and smooth track profiles that you can export and import whenever you want. There are too many lens combinations for only 3 profiles, but I would rather load alternate profiles through the app, not more button presses.

we may get there yet.

My option is to have a 4. user profile customised in the App, as I stated....
2018-11-2
Use props
AVsupport
lvl.4
Flight distance : 618734 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I could imagine a 'drop down menu' in the App where you can change the mode of the Triple-tap:
- Selfie Mode
- Torchlight Mode
- Custom 1
- Custom 2
- Off
2018-11-2
Use props
jburkett
lvl.2

Hong Kong

Thanks for your feedback, we will add the option to disable triple tap in the next firmware, please pay attention to our website about the future update.
2018-11-4
Use props
adamjrichman
lvl.2
United States

jburkett@zackburkettco.com Posted at 11-4 23:06
Thanks for your feedback, we will add the option to disable triple tap in the next firmware, please pay attention to our website about the future update.

Is this in the latest firmware yet?? The triple-tap is the worst thing about this product and needs an immediate solve.
2018-11-30
Use props
Alex Bryan
New
United States

Yes I see this as a very important update.  I am constantly leveling my camera on the gimbal for real estate video with a double tap, and occasionally triple tap by accident which completely messes up my cables.  I need to be able to turn the selfie mode feature off ASAP.  When will it be done?
2019-1-22
Use props
fans0d7a2d2e
lvl.1
United States

I have a problem with the selfie mode as well. I just received my Ronin S from repair(repair wasn't selfie mode related) and now if i click the trigger twice it goes to selfie mode and if i click three times it centers the right way. i called DJI service and they said they have never heard of this issue. I just emailed them a video and hoping to get this solved asap.
2019-3-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules