Nice Save
555 2 2018-10-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
gtsdart
lvl.1
Flight distance : 19879 ft
United States

I was very happy to see my Mavic 2 Zoom instantly recover from my dumb ass mistake and save its self and my day as well. As has been noted, the RE goggles are expensive toys that have very low range and serve no purpose other than to drain my wallet!
Sunday at the lake I was learning the modes  and capabilities of the Mavic and found that it didnt come close to 5 miles or 7 kilometers before signal was lost with the transmitter alone and RTH at least kickes in at about 2 and one half miles. The goggles have at best 1000 ft range. Maybe if I go some place where I can maintain line of sight with no trees and such in the way, it will do better.  I'm getting away from the point of my post, which is while I was playing with the flight modes in the goggles "head tracking is so cool" I managed to cause the Mavic to rise off the trailer I had it sitting on under a big Live Oak.  Been flying off it all day cause the Mavic's camera is so low it will touch the ground if the surface is not level and give you a gimbal warning.I lifted the junk goggles and the Mavic hit the lowest branches of the tree and both right side props sheard leaves big!
My heart sank in that millisecond as the Mavic fell to Earth. It would have hit the side of the trailer and really tore it up, but that Mavic 2 zoom only dropped about one foot and it was upside down and sideways, then instantly flipped its self over and turned its self around to resume the last position it was in before I got stupid.  This all happened in less than one second after hitting the tree branch, it went to a perfect hover and sat there looking cool!
Not one scratch on the props which as I said sheared leaves that went flying!   I have to give the Mavic huge points for saving its self and being smarter than I was,"no big feat".

2018-10-30
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello Gtsdart. Thank you for sharing your experience with your DJI Mavic 2 Zoom to us. It is great to know that you were able to get back your drone with no damage on it. Have a safe and happy flying.
2018-10-31
Use props
gtsdart
lvl.1
Flight distance : 19879 ft
United States

Dirty Bird Posted at 10-31 00:18
Seems the Mavic 2 is quite agile.  Glad you were spared any damage to your aircraft.  On range, it will depend on your flight environment.  I have had my M2P out 4+ miles over the Baltimore city & 30,000' (5.7 miles) over water.  I still had perfect contact @ 30,000' but returned so as not to risk running out of juice over the water.  You must maintain an unobstructed LOS between the RC & the aircraft.  On Mavic 2 range with the goggles, this has something to do with OccuSync 2.0.  I am yet to test my goggles (I have both the white & RE models) with my Mavic 2 Pro, but with my Mavic Pro I have flown out to about 4 miles using the goggles.  These flights were conducted over water in a clean RF environment.  The goggles work perfectly with OccuSync 1.x.  The interference issue when the Mavic 2 is used with the goggles is hopefully being worked out by the engineers & will eventually be addressed in a firmware revision.

Thanks a lot for the info.  Man if I got your results, I would be more than happy!    I will try with a line of sight attitude. I'm up in the hills in North Texas at the moment.  In the morning, I'll go for some range.

Thanks again...
2018-11-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules