Free Solo Documentary: Anyone know what drones they used?
4574 26 2018-10-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bing Err
Captain
Flight distance : 9249964 ft
  • >>>
United States

Just watched the Free Solo Documentary tonight in theaters and it was amazing. Makes me want to film for National Geographic some day. There were some AMAZING drone shots in it and they even discussed how the drone might be distracting and dangerous to the climber. Check out the trailer, especially at about 2:16 and let me know if you guys can figure out what types of drones they used in the movie. For those that have seen it, did you see wobble or "jello" in some of the drone shots. I know it's probably greatly exagerated since they were zoomed in so much. Any thoughts?

Sorry this is posted in the VIDEOS & PHOTOS section but there is no DISCUSSION section in the INSPIRE forum.

2018-10-30
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Not sure which drone but it's an awesome vid. The National Geographic appear to be great advocates for drones.
2018-10-31
Use props
mixchief
Second Officer
Flight distance : 182057 ft
  • >>>
United States

Drones are not allowed in a National Park, according to this article no drones were used, I'm thinking any aerial shots were done with a helicopter which has no restrictions.Of course if a drone was launched from outside the park , it could have possibly been done, but though I'm not familiar with the area I doubt the perimeter of the park is close enough to location to allow a drone to launch film and return without running out of battery. Also most "big screen" drone filming is done with "real" professional cameras that require large octocopters or maybe hexacopters to carry, like an ARRI or Red Maybe even something larger. Hard to say. This is an interesting article about the filming. https://www.indiewire.com/2018/1 ... footage-1202012869/
2018-10-31
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hi Bing Err. Thank you for sharing this awesome video to us. Have a safe and happy flying. Thank you for your support as well.
2018-10-31
Use props
Keule
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3733015 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Looking at the credits you will find:

AERIAL DIRECTOR OF PHOTOGRAPHY JOHN TRAPMAN
HELICOPTER PILOT KEVIN LaROSA
DRONE OPERATOR NICK WOLCOTT

When looking up the name Nick Wolcott it leads to this site

That company is using Freefly Alta as their preferred aircraft.
So, an Alta 6 or Alta 8 was probably used carrying a Canon C300 camera.

The full credits can be found in this .PDF
2018-10-31
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
  • >>>
United States

mixchief Posted at 2018-10-31 06:24
Drones are not allowed in a National Park, according to this article no drones were used, I'm thinking any aerial shots were done with a helicopter which has no restrictions.Of course if a drone was launched from outside the park , it could have possibly been done, but though I'm not familiar with the area I doubt the perimeter of the park is close enough to location to allow a drone to launch film and return without running out of battery. Also most "big screen" drone filming is done with "real" professional cameras that require large octocopters or maybe hexacopters to carry, like an ARRI or Red Maybe even something larger. Hard to say. This is an interesting article about the filming. https://www.indiewire.com/2018/10/free-solo-cinematography-camera-sound-mission-impossible-footage-1202012869/

This was a National Geographic production so I'm sure they allowed them to film inside the National Park. They talk about the drones a little in the movie and I saw a controller but they didn't show the drone. Probably so they didn't endorse any certain drone brand. But yeah, they did use drones and talked about them in the film.
2018-10-31
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Keule Posted at 2018-10-31 13:16
Looking at the credits you will find:

AERIAL DIRECTOR OF PHOTOGRAPHY JOHN TRAPMAN

Thanks for the info Keule. WOW!  that drone is impressive. Over 100mph! Crazy! But the price is also crazy. Maybe I'll work up to the Inspire someday. Thanks for taking the time. cheers
2018-10-31
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
  • >>>
United States

A CW Posted at 2018-10-31 01:07
Not sure which drone but it's an awesome vid. The National Geographic appear to be great advocates for drones.

The movie is AMAZING! Go see it if you get a chance.
2018-10-31
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bing Err Posted at 10-31 17:20
The movie is AMAZING! Go see it if you get a chance.

Thanks mate      
2018-11-1
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Great movie indeed.
2018-11-1
Use props
Joshmichael
New
United States

Read an interview with Jimmy Chin (director and DP) and he said all the aerials of Yosemite and El Capitan were from a helicopter. The drone shots referenced in the credits were in the Morocco scenes. From what I’ve read up on, pretty much nobody gets an exception to the national parks no drone rule.
2019-3-21
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Just watched it again tonight. It's free on Hulu right now. Amazing movie with gorgeous shots, especially at the end during his final climb.
2019-8-12
Use props
RWD
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6709 ft
  • >>>
United States

Wow, that was incredible.  I'm going to have to see if I can find the entire show to watch (someone mentioned Hulu - that will be stop 1).

And I am sure that the Parks Service MUST have given permission for drone flights to cover this.  If I recall correctly, there is wording in their rules about special approval for activities.

Just a shame that a mortal pilot will pretty much never get an approval....
2019-8-12
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
  • >>>
United States

RWD Posted at 8-12 22:17
Wow, that was incredible.  I'm going to have to see if I can find the entire show to watch (someone mentioned Hulu - that will be stop 1).

And I am sure that the Parks Service MUST have given permission for drone flights to cover this.  If I recall correctly, there is wording in their rules about special approval for activities.

They mention in the documentary that they could accidently distract Alex with the drone and cause him to fall and die. Not the kind of pressure I'd want from a drone flight.
2019-8-13
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bing Err Posted at 2018-10-31 17:19
Thanks for the info Keule. WOW!  that drone is impressive. Over 100mph! Crazy! But the price is also crazy. Maybe I'll work up to the Inspire someday. Thanks for taking the time. cheers

Yeah - 20 grand then the camera
2019-8-15
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Bing Err Posted at 8-13 10:59
They mention in the documentary that they could accidently distract Alex with the drone and cause him to fall and die. Not the kind of pressure I'd want from a drone flight.

Yeah....
Not how I would like to fly around....
2019-8-15
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

A J Posted at 8-15 22:11
Yeah - 20 grand then the camera

That is another league
2019-8-15
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 8-15 22:33
That is another league

For sure - top end cinematography for film production so will pay for itself in a few flights in the right hands
2019-8-15
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

A J Posted at 8-15 23:05
For sure - top end cinematography for film production so will pay for itself in a few flights in the right hands

True!
There is still a difference between me flying my MP or a pro flying this beast
2019-8-16
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 8-16 01:34
True!
There is still a difference between me flying my MP or a pro flying this beast

Of course - and this drone vs the DJI Ghost which is delivered in a truck and only DJI pilots are allowed to fly - probably worth six figures.
2019-8-16
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

A J Posted at 8-16 01:37
Of course - and this drone vs the DJI Ghost which is delivered in a truck and only DJI pilots are allowed to fly - probably worth six figures.

Ghegheghe.
One day baby I'll be old and think about those days when I flew my MP
2019-8-16
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 8-16 01:50
Ghegheghe.
One day baby I'll be old and think about those days when I flew my MP

We are all pioneers of the 'drone movement'. I can imagine my son being flown to work in a drone over London in 2064 and saying how his Dad use to fly the DJI Inspire 1
2019-8-16
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

A J Posted at 8-16 01:53
We are all pioneers of the 'drone movement'. I can imagine my son being flown to work in a drone over London in 2064 and saying how his Dad use to fly the DJI Inspire 1

We will be amazed (in many ways) how fast tech will change in the coming years
2019-8-16
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 8-16 02:57
We will be amazed (in many ways) how fast tech will change in the coming years

For sure mate - it's already happening
2019-8-16
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

A J Posted at 8-16 09:36
For sure mate - it's already happening

I know. Just found my old walkman the other day
2019-8-16
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 8-16 11:47
I know. Just found my old walkman the other day

I've still got a Commodore 64 somewhere at my parents Probably worth a few quid these days
2019-8-16
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

A J Posted at 8-16 23:46
I've still got a Commodore 64 somewhere at my parents  Probably worth a few quid these days

Yes I remember that one.
Recording games via radio
2019-8-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules