How to ACTUALLY operate a Ronin S and get specific movement/shots?
6850 8 2018-10-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
coffee_king
lvl.2
Flight distance : 44160 ft
United Kingdom

How to ACTUALLY operate a Ronin S and get specific movement/shots? (Not set up, balance etc)

There seems to be nowhere online that explains how to actually operate a Ronin S.
By this I mean how it should be operating out of the box and then how to obtain specific movements.

I dont mean how to put it together, how to balance it, how to adjust things in the app, a review of it, what people like/dont like. I literally mean how to use it.

What I'm looking for are videos where someone says "I'm going to explain to you how you're going to get this movement on your gimbal. Where to move, how to move, what buttons to press/hold/release and when etc etc"

I dont even know if mine is working properly as I have no experience or anything else to compare it against.
All my settings in the app say I've set it up and balanced it correctly.

Currently if I dont hold down the trigger button and I walk around my camera just sort of seems to drift around left to right however it likes to an extent.
Is it supposed to be doing this? If it is then why would I ever want it to do this?

I find myself constantly double tapping to recenter as when I move around and then move back to where I double tapped to start with it never seems to line back up.

I understand that if I press the trigger button it locks all movement, but can I get it lock onto an up/down movement too?

For example the three main movements I want to achieve are:

How to keep the camera centred pointing at a persons head if I walk round them in circles. Whats the setting for this? Or is there not one and I'm just supposed to hold down the lock button and move the joystick and hope I'm walking at the same speed I've set the joystick speed to?

I want to lock the camera pointing at a persons face, move down their body but have the camera always pointing at the persons face (then move the gimbal back up).
How would I achieve this?

Someones standing in the middle or a room, I start by facing them in front of them on the far left, walk towards them perpendicular, then past them to the far right. How do I keep the gimbal always pointing towards them so they are always centre framed in the camera?

If I'm not incorporating the joystick into all my movements then what kind of shots can I hope to achieve?

Unless I'm not using the correct search terms (As I dont really know what the search terms are as I'm new to all this) the only types of tutorials I can find are people explaining how to set it up and what the various modes do. No one is actually showing you what to press/hold to get specific movements.

Any help, pointers, YouTube video links that night help me?
Thanks in advance.

2018-10-31
Use props
AVsupport
lvl.4
Flight distance : 618734 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Hi @coffee_king, The RoninS doesn't communicate with the camera in the way that I believe the Osmo does. ([url=]https://store.dji.com/guides/7-camera-move-tips-for-osmo-mobile-you-should-know/?site=brandsite&from=landing_page[/url])
It cannot use 'face detect' or 'object lock' from a 3rd party manufacturer camera to track your subjects.
Hence I believe it's unlikely you will find these features on the RoninS for some time to come...
If you need these features you might be better off with a different model (as above)
2018-10-31
Use props
coffee_king
lvl.2
United Kingdom

AVsupport Posted at 10-31 21:15
Hi @coffee_king, The RoninS doesn't communicate with the camera in the way that I believe the Osmo does. (https://store.dji.com/guides/7-camera-move-tips-for-osmo-mobile-you-should-know/?site=brandsite&from=landing_page)
It cannot use 'face detect' or 'object lock' from a 3rd party manufacturer camera to track your subjects.
Hence I believe it's unlikely you will find these features on the RoninS for some time to come...

You're not understanding what I'm saying here. I'm not talking about using functions specific to the camera I'm on about movements with the Ronin S
2018-11-1
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, thanks for reaching DJI Forum. We do appreciate bringing this query to us. You may try visiting this video tutorial for more information. Thank you.

2018-11-1
Use props
coffee_king
lvl.2
United Kingdom

DJI Gamora Posted at 11-1 03:06
Hi, thanks for reaching DJI Forum. We do appreciate bringing this query to us. You may try visiting this video tutorial for more information. Thank you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9IpeBUDyHE

No, I'm afraid this is still not what I am asking for. This is a video about how to set up the Ronin S, it does not show how to operate the Ronin S to get specific movements.
I'm looking for the equivalent of (for example) "Learn how to drive a car".
Not how to unlock a car door, how to get into a car and how start up the engine on a car.
2018-11-1
Use props
keystroke3
New

United States

I have this exact same question. The gimbol is really good for getting really smooth "random" camera shots, but it seems extremely difficult to move the camera and keep the subject in the middle of the screen, unless you have crazy joystick control. Is this only supposed to be used for landscape shots or something? Thinking about returning mine.
2019-3-25
Use props
marctronixx
lvl.4
Flight distance : 210118 ft
  • >>>
United States

Maybe this video can give you some ideas?

AV ‘s post does explain why the camera just “drifts left to right”. The camera is not connected to the gimbal in a way the CPU in the gimbal can detect what the camera is seeing and keep that subject in frame. The gimbals MAIN and primary job is to stabilize the camera via 3 axis. That’s it. It’s not designed to make moves for you or pan and tilt for you. You, the operator, have to be creative and train yourself to move, boom up/down with your arms, and use the joystick to keep the center frame where you want it. This requires training.

Maybe this video can give you some ideas. The hosts of the video explains what is going on in the shot.

All of the moves require the OPERATOR (you) to physically move the gimbal, use the joystick, and walk with finesse so your walking movements dont show up in the footage.

Maybe this one can help too:

2019-3-26
Use props
fanse72575d4
New

Ireland

keystroke3 Posted at 2019-3-25 08:34
I have this exact same question. The gimbol is really good for getting really smooth "random" camera shots, but it seems extremely difficult to move the camera and keep the subject in the middle of the screen, unless you have crazy joystick control. Is this only supposed to be used for landscape shots or something? Thinking about returning mine.

Exactly my problem too. Still no answers.
2020-11-18
Use props
Hallon
New

Sweden

This is an old thread. Has anyone found new good videos about this that might even be for Ronin-s? I recently got my ronin-s and will be filming a car. The most difficult movement seems to be walking around it. Wondering if sports mode is the easiest. It will be easiest to controll I think. But will it be steady / smoothe? I will film in some slowmo.
2021-2-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules