United States

One more
2018-12-31
Use props
Antonio76
Second Officer
Flight distance : 144403 ft
Denmark

I wonder how many unaware  DJI  UAVs have been sacrificed during the testing of this dubious panacea... Has anybody erected a monument, or a shrine, in memory of these unsung and forgotten heroes? Has anybody payed the tribute of a minute of silence and prayers to their batteries, motors, propellers, sensors, circuit boards and softwares?
2018-12-31
Use props
KennyB
lvl.4
Flight distance : 674137 ft
United States

Antonio76 Posted at 12-31 06:15
I wonder how many unaware  DJI  UAVs have been sacrificed during the testing of this dubious panacea... Has anybody erected a monument, or a shrine, in memory of these unsung and forgotten heroes? Has anybody payed the tribute of a minute of silence and prayers to their batteries, motors, propellers, sensors, circuit boards and softwares?

Not sure if this is a tribute or evidence of drone abuse.
2018-12-31
Use props
KennyB
lvl.4
United States

The first few attempts I am sure looked like this...LOL...I mean poor drone
2018-12-31
Use props
SFOPhantom
lvl.2
Flight distance : 718123 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hi there,

funny I am working on my flying over people waiver here in the USA. Well I am applying it a little different. I am applying to fly over a construction site, as well as between construction sites.
I am not sure if a parachute is an effective way not to insure a person below the flight path.

While a parachute for sure reduces the crash impact is cause other side effects as well.

1 st and fore most it will effect the flight characteristics of the airframe, different CG, as well as drag, therefore shorter battery life. More airtime needed to fly the mission therefore more risk.
2nd. one more component which can fail therefore more risk. As well as a false sense of safety, I have a parachute so if something happen it is not that bad.
3rd when parachute deploys you have NO control of the airframe it can drift into traffic, trees, roof tops, power lines..... adds more risk.
4th. When the parachute deploys everyone can see the airframe hanging from the parachute.... therfore more people see it and get distracted of what they are doing therefore it increases the risk
of someone is getting hurt.... Like you are driving along with you car, bike or so forth now you see the parachute with a drone you are distracted. You will follow the airframe to the ground. That is humans nature.

If you aircraft does not have a parachute it will most like fall right out of the sky within the direction of travel unless the wind is so high that it will or can alter the fall. If now the airframe hits a human on the ground the impact will not be as bad as everyone expected as the landing gear will defect the impact, so will the body and even the propellers. The real problem is when the person will look up as that will expose his or her face which might lead to cuts and lacerations. It would be like a bird falling on you. You will most like have a concussion as well.

Most problematic would flying close to people with out or even with prop guards as the propeller can and will nicely slice and dice you if you carbon propellers. That is a real problem therefore I believe wedding and movie studios will have some real problems getting close to people, but the FAA will grant waivers above and between construction sites. Even delivery over people might be possible as most of the flight is way above people. It is all about the risk management. Therefore plan you mission mapping routs always over buildings, covers, cars and never really over walk ways and if you have to minimize the flight time over them.

You have to weight the risks, some time it make sense to have a parachute and most of the times it does not.

Just my two sense,

FYI I am no on page 5 of the flying over people waiver, trying to explain the same thing in more detail to the examiner lets see what he comes back with in 2019.
At the end it all comes down to safety and that you understand what and what you can and should not do. Flying close to a human or animal is NEVER a good idea.
We have a ZOOM lens.

On that note 99 % of the parachutes are installed to safe the airframe as well as the payload and not the human on the ground as there should be none under the falling
airframe anyway.

HAPPY NEW YEAR
2018-12-31
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

SFOPhantom Posted at 2018-12-31 22:37
Hi there,

funny I am working on my flying over people waiver here in the USA. Well I am applying it a little different. I am applying to fly over a construction site, as well as between construction sites.

'We have a ZOOM lens.'

You do? Really? What aircraft have you got?
2019-1-1
Use props
KennyB
lvl.4
United States

Hi there,

funny I am working on my flying over people waiver here in the USA. Well I am applying it a little different. I am applying to fly over a construction site, as well as between construction sites.

It is my understanding...which may work for you...that if you are flying over a closed site (like a construction site) and everyone is aware that there will be a drone you don't need a waiver. Plus at most construction sites everyone is wearing a hard hat.

I could be wrong but that is my understanding.
2019-1-1
Use props
Antonio76
Second Officer
Denmark

KennyB Posted at 2018-12-31 07:03
Not sure if this is a tribute or evidence of drone abuse.
Phantom Test

I don't know... I'm too soft-hearted to watch snuff movies -is that what they are called?...
2019-1-2
Use props
Antonio76
Second Officer
Denmark

Geebax Posted at 1-1 16:44
'We have a ZOOM lens.'

You do? Really? What aircraft have you got?

the listing of his registered DJI UAVs is under his avatar.
2019-1-2
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Antonio76 Posted at 1-2 08:52
the listing of his registered DJI UAVs is under his avatar.

And none of them have a zoom lens.
2019-1-2
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Geebax Posted at 1-2 15:28
And none of them have a zoom lens.

Inspire one has that capability.....
2019-1-2
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Bashy Posted at 1-2 19:50
Inspire one has that capability.....

Does it? The only zoom lens I could find is the Olympus M.Zuiko 9-18mm/4.0-5.6, which is listed as suitable for the Zenmuse 5S, and the 5S is not shown as being suitable for the Inspire 1. Remember, he said 'zoom lens' not electronic zoom.
2019-1-2
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I did a search before i posted that reply above, he could have the Zenmuse Z3

The DJI Zenmuse Z3 is an integrated aerial zoom camera based on DJI’s class leading Zenmuse X3 and optimized for still photography. A 7x zoom made up of 3.5x optical and 2x digital lossless zoom creates a 22mm to 77mm equivalent focal length range, making it ideal for industrial applications.
2019-1-3
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Bashy Posted at 1-3 19:43

The DJI Zenmuse Z3 is an integrated aerial zoom camera based on DJI’s class leading Zenmuse X3 and optimized for still photography. A 7x zoom made up of 3.5x optical and 2x digital lossless zoom creates a 22mm to 77mm equivalent focal length range, making it ideal for industrial applications.

Yes, I see that now. It did not show up in any of the menus on the DJI site, it appears you have to know it exists to search for it.
2019-1-4
Use props
KennyB
lvl.4
United States

Bashy Posted at 1-3 19:43

The DJI Zenmuse Z3 is an integrated aerial zoom camera based on DJI’s class leading Zenmuse X3 and optimized for still photography. A 7x zoom made up of 3.5x optical and 2x digital lossless zoom creates a 22mm to 77mm equivalent focal length range, making it ideal for industrial applications.

Thanks for posting/sharing...that is good to know.
2019-1-4
Use props
KennyB
lvl.4
United States

Hi there,

You will have to keep us up to date on your waiver. I would be curious to know how to goes. You make many valid points. I am not ready nor have a need to fly over people, yet, but I find it interesting and if the need calls for it be prepared to tackle that head on.
2019-1-4
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Geebax Posted at 1-4 00:14
Yes, I see that now. It did not show up in any of the menus on the DJI site, it appears you have to know it exists to search for it.

I just googled Inspire 1 zoom lens
2019-1-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules