Can you color grade better than "Normal"?
1388 14 2018-10-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
RickThePoolGuy
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3527 ft
United States

Hey Everyone,

Does anyone have an example of a video shot in Normal and not color graded next to the same video shot in D-log and color graded? I am looking for an example that opens my eyes to a distinct difference between the two that makes all the extra color grading work actually worth it. I'm new to this and color grading is a lot to learn and master and I'd like to see some obvious justification for all the extra work. I'm not sure I can learn to grade better than the Normal setting.

Thanks for the help. Safe flying.
2018-10-31
Use props
parkgt214
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1167008 ft
United States

If you are happy with Normal and the grading you can do with it then don't worry about D-log.

I took similar scenes and worked both normal and D-log.  I could have lived with the tweaked Normal and if I didn't have the time I would leave it at that and have.  But, there are more options to change the looks of things with D-log.   Doesn't necessarily mean that it is better; but I can usually find a more pleasing (to Me) grade starting with D-log  and I am no expert.

Play with the free version of Davinci, use one of the free Luts as a starting or ending point and see if it is worth your time.  Only you know.
2018-10-31
Use props
rm708410
lvl.3
United States

I think the versatility of the DLOG-M footage to reach many different results is the big advantage over "normal". Once it's graded and saved or recorded as normal, the video can't return to it's full fidelity and/or be rendered as cleanly with a variety of different moods or atmospheres. DLOG-M is a definite plus to create more dramatic footage, but not necessary for strictly capturing accurate shots.

Highly recommend some of the free Casey Faris YouTube tutorials on Davinci grading.

I would say that for photographs, the RAW shots seem much better than JPG mode.
2018-10-31
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, thanks for the inquiry. Hope you'll get a good image wherein you could compare the two images. Thank you for the support.
2018-11-1
Use props
Pzooky
lvl.3
Flight distance : 377382 ft
United Kingdom

Did this with no colour adjustment just normal

2018-11-1
Use props
parkgt214
Second Officer
United States

Pzooky Posted at 11-1 14:32
Did this with no colour adjustment just normal

Nice, but it doesn't answer the question of how the same scene would have come out filmed in D-log and graded.
2018-11-1
Use props
Pzooky
lvl.3
Flight distance : 377382 ft
United Kingdom

parkgt214 Posted at 11-1 15:08
Nice, but it doesn't answer the question of how the same scene would have come out filmed in D-log and graded.

I've no idea, my pc/video card can't handle it when I go into D-log or MPEG4 so have to record in .mov 4k and turn it into 1080p, to be fair I've no idea what I'm doing just been testing out things trying to make the best of it with a slow pc until I make some upgrades. Strange my pc can handle other devices but not M2P even in 1080p, watching with interest
2018-11-1
Use props
Klaus W.
Second Officer
Flight distance : 118366 ft
Germany

Basically Normal is already D-Log corrected/graded in camera (cf. https://vimeo.com/blog/post/color-grading-vs-color-correction-explained
2018-11-2
Use props
simis
Second Officer
Flight distance : 405102 ft
Latvia

Short but exactly what you asked
2018-11-2
Use props
Zatx
Second Officer
Flight distance : 158166 ft
United States

simis Posted at 11-2 03:01
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CNTCqn3DmY

And there is your conclusive proof that it is indeed worth the effort. ;)
2018-11-2
Use props
RickThePoolGuy
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3527 ft
United States

Holy crap.  Thanks exactly what I was looking for.  The difference is clear.  Thank you.  Looks like it's time to compulsively dive into color grading tutorials.  
2018-11-2
Use props
simis
Second Officer
Flight distance : 405102 ft
Latvia

U are welcome!
2018-11-2
Use props
parkgt214
Second Officer
United States

What if any attempt was made to improve the Normal footage in that clip?
2018-11-2
Use props
rwynant V1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4842277 ft
  • >>>
United States

I am NOT a photographer by any means.  These were shot as it happened.....NO POST.  Normal Mode.  Being there, it was amazing to me how realistic the color was.....I had 84 shots and a few vids in there.....again no Post.   The vid is straight off the card........Not alot of settings.....    Sorry I don't have comparo with DLog

Randy

2018-11-2
Use props
El Diablo
Second Officer

Germany

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2018-11-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules