Spark lost due to GPS interference
2508 17 2018-10-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_YXsOz4J8ntnt
lvl.2
Flight distance : 169885 ft
United States

I lost my spark recently when it flew off course during a Litchi way point mission. After reviewing my flight record Litchi responded "...GPS signal was lost, generally this is because of strong interference". The flight record indicated 18-20 satellites up to the point of losing communication well after it left the mission. This was in rather remote mountainous area. (Homes in the area are on 10 acre parcels many of which are unoccupied.) What possible source of RF interference could have caused this.  The flight log and Airdata images of the lost flight and a previous successful mission are attached.

Lost Spark.zip

347.63 KB, Down times: 10

2018-10-31
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, thanks for reaching DJI Forum. We do feel sorry for what happened during that flight. Kindly contact support@dji.com for us to help you. You may also try contacting our support team for us to assist you. Thank you.

2018-11-1
Use props
wimherman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 208556 ft
Norway

Can be atmospheric.. : https://www.e-education.psu.edu/geog160/node/1924
2018-11-1
Use props
LouisP
lvl.4
Flight distance : 41952 ft
United States

When spark goes into ATTI mode because of any number of reasons, it gives an error message about lost GPS and then disregards the GPS data.   It could be that Litchi is interpreting that as GPS interference.  It might not have been interference at all, but the spark choosing to ignore the GPS data for some other reason.
2018-11-1
Use props
Alex B.
lvl.4
Flight distance : 21105262 ft

Spain

Does litchi give you a new drone if it’s the apps fault?
Or it’s not possible for the app to be at fault?
Because DJI won’t help you here, you were using litchi and not DJI go.

Fly safely
Alex
2018-11-1
Use props
S.J
lvl.4
Flight distance : 322454 ft
Kuwait

From my flight experience, you need bare minimum 40 meters in height for GPS to function properly with SPARK.  In your case, the low altitude flight created the GPS mishap !  I wouldnt blame SPARK but also only very advanced SPARK pilots would know this GPS user guide for DJI SPARK.

Try using DJI GO mission app which works well within DJI GO4 app.   Litchi app ..hmm..i dont know how well it functions when data link is lost between RC and SPARK.

Good luck mate
2018-11-1
Use props
Sparkz71
lvl.4
Flight distance : 24259 ft
Australia

Alex B. Posted at 11-1 16:15
Does litchi give you a new drone if it’s the apps fault?
Or it’s not possible for the app to be at fault?
Because DJI won’t help you here, you were using litchi and not DJI go.

If the app uses the DJI SDK, DJI must assist.
2018-11-4
Use props
Sparkz71
lvl.4
Australia

S.J Posted at 11-1 18:16
From my flight experience, you need bare minimum 40 meters in height for GPS to function properly with SPARK.  In your case, the low altitude flight created the GPS mishap !  I wouldnt blame SPARK but also only very advanced SPARK pilots would know this GPS user guide for DJI SPARK.

Try using DJI GO mission app which works well within DJI GO4 app.   Litchi app ..hmm..i dont know how well it functions when data link is lost between RC and SPARK.

Only advanced SPARK pilots would take off before achieving a GPS lock. The GPS works on the ground. Why are you preaching 40 meters for GPS to work? GPS works in my car, on the ground as it can not fly. I've never heard such rubbish. Check the GPS signals BEFORE you take off, then fly up 7 m for the VPS to work & lock the home point for a more accurate landing. It's all in the tiny documents provided with Spark.  If it's not working for the pilot, S.J., they have a faulty device 'cos it's not meant to work the way S.J. described.   It's all detailed in the DJI Spark manual
2018-11-4
Use props
Sparkz71
lvl.4
Australia

From my flight experience, you need bare minimum 40 meters in height for GPS to function properly with SPARK.  In your case, the low altitude flight created the GPS mishap !  I wouldnt blame SPARK but also only very advanced SPARK pilots would know this GPS user guide for DJI SPARK.

My logs show otherwise. It works if you follow the manual. Fly below 40 m & I have working GPS etc. Please explain why you think height alone helps with GPS in an open paddock?
2018-11-4
Use props
Sparkz71
lvl.4
Australia

Sparkz71 Posted at 11-4 22:36
My logs show otherwise. It works if you follow the manual. Fly below 40 m & I have working GPS etc. Please explain why you think height alone helps with GPS in an open paddock?

Beginner mode is 30 m. It works with GPS, despite you claim.
2018-11-4
Use props
S.J
lvl.4
Flight distance : 322454 ft
Kuwait

Not all places on planet earth will give you a GPS lock within 30 meter height.

2018-11-5
Use props
djiuser_YXsOz4J8ntnt
lvl.2
United States

Sparkz71 Posted at 11-4 20:03
If the app uses the DJI SDK, DJI must assist.

Is that Chinese or US law?
2018-11-5
Use props
djiuser_YXsOz4J8ntnt
lvl.2
United States

From my flight experience I don't take off until I hear Home Point Set.  I think that means there's a GPS lock.
I lost my 1st Spark flying in area with weak GPS using the technique of ascending until I got the lock.  As I recall the bird wouldn't rise more than ~50 feet unless it had a lock.
2018-11-5
Use props
DeuceDriv3r
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4698533 ft
United States

yep.. you probably did not have a gps issue.. it was a compass issue...

I will bet that if you look in the logs you will see many many yaw/compass errors before the imu working exceptions message terminating in a atti.. no gps mode where it drops all sat data...

DJI has gone to SH*T.. this mess also not only effects the spark..

but the last 6-8 months of firmware updates have essentially bricked the mavic pro, the mavic air and the mavic 2 line.. all are having yaw/compass issues... drift and a rash more atti excursions..

they had better get this fixed asap

many logs that are viewed in csvviewer its clear to see how yaw and magyaw diverge and then crash the imu.. this is no longer a guessing game.. its well documented and evidenced in the logs... DJI knows about it but have been unable to fix the issue...

2018-11-5
Use props
Sparkz71
lvl.4
Australia

Any country covered by the standard DJI warranty.  

I have searched the official published DJI warranty (service policy) several times & there is no reference to 3rd party apps voiding warranty.
Damage caused by pilot error, unsuitable conditions, 3rd party parts, interference etc are not covered by warranty.
Also,  DJI  'After-Sales Policy' does not cover:
×        Any software programs, whether provided with the product or installed subsequently.
×        Failure of, or damage caused by, any third party products, including those that DJI may provide or integrate into the DJI product at your request.
See https://www.dji.com/service/policy for full details.

Another strong indicator that using 3rd party apps do not void warranty is in the DJI developer policies EULA.  Assuming the 3rd party app using the SDK complies with the EULA...
The SDK may store 'Warranty Logs' ..... 'to support any warranty claims regarding the SDK.'

“Warranty Logs” means information provided to and/or received by the SDK that is necessary for determining warranty eligibility and product reliability, including without limitation SDK function calls (including without limitation time, function name, results/feedback, etc.), protocol or commands sent from or to a mobile device, an Application, and/or a remote controller (including without limitation time, name, type, command/action, etc.).

https://developer.dji.com/policies/eula/

Anyway, just my observations.
Happy flying.
2018-11-5
Use props
marlowe
lvl.4
Flight distance : 300932 ft
United States

As others have posted - this is complete nonsense.
2018-11-5
Use props
djiuser_YXsOz4J8ntnt
lvl.2
United States

So dji what do you say?
2018-11-22
Use props
djiuser_YXsOz4J8ntnt
lvl.2
United States

Isn't the Litchi log as good as the dji go log?
2018-11-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules