Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
New Canadian Regulations
4699 21 2015-6-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Rob88
lvl.3

Canada

Regulations proposed in Canada include new restrictions for UAVs above 2kg (the Inspire weighs 2.935kg; the Phantom weighs 1.280kg).  If the regulations are passed, Canadian Inspire pilots will be required to register and mark the aircraft and carry liability insurance.  They will not be permitted to fly within 9km of cities or towns.  Foreigners visiting Canada will require a special permit to fly.  UAVs under 2kg (e.g. Phantom) will not be subject to these particular restrictions, but will be subject to others.  The full text (link below) includes a link to the US FAA proposals introduced in February, and states: "Transport Canada intends to work with the FAA to align, to the extent practical, their respective regulatory frameworks to facilitate cross border trade for the UAV industry."

Proposed Regulations

FAA Proposal

NOTICE_OF_PROPOSED_AMENDMENTS_UNMANNED_AIR_VEHICLES_MAY_2015-2.1.jpg
2015-6-2
Use props
twbigshap
lvl.2

United Kingdom

wow that is a really tough blow to inspire owners. I would think that there may be some leeway since it is so close to the lower limit.

2015-6-2
Use props
twbigshap
lvl.2

United Kingdom

That is 2016. Good. I'm going there this summer i'll fly my little heart out
2015-6-2
Use props
Wildcat Willie
lvl.3

Canada

Most  of that is already a requirement to operate under the 2.1 kg to 25kg.  You are already required to carry $100,000.00 liability insurance , you are also required to register your bird with  Transport Canada including serial number. No marking yet, but there are 85 conditions that you must comply with or you will have to write an SFOC.  Sorry to inform you twbigshap but here are the current rules for Foreigners flying UAVs in Canada right now.  

Foreign versus Canadian UAV Operator
Foreign operators must be legally eligible to operate in their own county before the issuing an SFOC can be considered. Eligible foreign UAV operators intending to operate within Canadian sovereign airspace (anywhere within the 12 nautical miles of territorial waters boundaries) must apply for, and obtain, an SFOC. Additional approvals may also be required for foreign UAV operators. Further details regarding international operations can be found in Appendix L.
2015-6-2
Use props
kinsonlai
lvl.1
Flight distance : 69662 ft
Hong Kong

These are proposed regulations so that means they haven't passed yet correct?  Any ideas on the current regulations for the Inspire?

If flying the i1 is going to be such a hassle I imagine people will be going to smaller birds >.>
2015-6-2
Use props
Wildcat Willie
lvl.3

Canada

The Transport Canada (TC) Regs are very specific and are current law in Canada.  TC also realizes that they are a work in progress and are trying to come up with somewhat rational laws while allowing commercial and non commercial operations for UAVs. The exemptions that the I1 can operate in lay out 83 specific conditions to legally fly in Canada. If you cant follow the conditions for whatever reasons then you will need an SFOC which is a very detailed document.   This is probably the framework that the US, Australia and Europe will end up with in some form as they are all trying to harmonize their regs.  I think where the confusion comes in is that TC is looking for public input for changes to existing regs.   I don't agree with all of what they are doing but most of it is fairly responsible and things that most UAV pilots do as a matter of everyday flying. It is formalized into written rules and conditions.   Unfortunately, we all see idiots and creepers out there on a daily basis that make these things necessary...My concern is that they are becoming so restrictive because of people like this that it doesn't matter how safe or compliant we try to be we all become instantaneous criminals no matter what we do. DJI is also seeing the writing on the wall.  Take a look at their new section on Safe Flying on the DJI website.  In this regard they are being proactive.

Here are the links to the exemptions as well as the SFOC and the request for public input.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilavi ... .mc_id=lmmgy#safety

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilavi ... ecavi-uav-4161.html

http://news.gc.ca/web/article-en.do?nid=981029
2015-6-3
Use props
Rob88
lvl.3

Canada

kinsonlai Posted at 2015-6-3 15:08
These are proposed regulations so that means they haven't passed yet correct?  Any ideas on the curr ...

I believe these are the current rules . . .

ac-600-004.pdf

842.02 KB, Down times: 19

2015-6-3
Use props
Wildcat Willie
lvl.3

Canada

No...This doc is an advisory not the rules:
An Advisory Circular (AC) provides information and guidance with regards to a specific issue or
law. In this case, it provides general guidance, safety practices and explanatory information for
operators of unmanned air vehicle (UAV) systems operating under an exemption to Sections
602.41 and 603.66 of the Canadian Aviation Regulations (CARs)

If you go to the first link above and drill into it you will get to the current regs for the exemption taken directly from the CARS (Canadian Aviation Regulations) 602.41 and 603.66.

We really need to get a life....
2015-6-3
Use props
Rob88
lvl.3

Canada

Wildcat Willie Posted at 2015-6-4 06:24
No...This doc is an advisory not the rules:
An Advisory Circular (AC) provides information and guida ...

Hmm . . . I drilled and drilled but didn't find the exact regs you mentioned.  Can you post a direct link?  As for getting a life . . . LOL . . . check out this link that I found . . . it shows every type of restriction in all Canadian Airspace . . . Canadian Airspace Viewer
2015-6-5
Use props
Wildcat Willie
lvl.3

Canada

Here is the link to the exact rules for the 2 to 25kg exemption.   

http://www.tc.gc.ca/civilaviatio ... ns/docs/en/2879.htm

Jim Hare posted this video . Each time I pass by it I have to take a look at it.  Sometimes you have to laugh at yourself...

2015-6-6
Use props
MaxJibber
lvl.1
Flight distance : 269396 ft
Canada

Wildcat Willie Posted at 2015-6-7 04:17
Here is the link to the exact rules for the 2 to 25kg exemption.   

http://www.tc.gc.ca/civilaviati ...

I think it's great you guys are posting these links!

Other than crashing my Phantom my biggest fear is violating some regs.  I've been dealing with the CARS for about 15 years now and they still baffle me.  I think the best thing TC can do is put out a pamphlet with all the regulations in therms/language that anybody from a beginner to a pro can apply and understand.
I'm also not against getting certified, and on that topic does anybody from Ontario know of any places that offer courses?

Safe flying!
2015-6-11
Use props
jmhirtle
lvl.2
Flight distance : 118845 ft

Canada

9km of a built up area based on how they define a built up area is insane!

This would not allow me to fly anywhere in my province!
2015-6-11
Use props
Wildcat Willie
lvl.3

Canada

MaxJibber Posted at 2015-6-12 09:25
I think it's great you guys are posting these links!

Other than crashing my Phantom my biggest fe ...

I agree that Transport Canada tried with their flow charts but they left out a significant number of conditions.  One of my big complaints is that they don't tell you up front that FPV is illegal under the exemptions and you can only fly FPV as a condition under an SFOC if they allow it. As a result I think it automatically makes everyone who flys a UAV a criminal as that is what most buy them for is the FPV experience.

CCUVS in Medicine Hat is the course that I took and I recently saw they are putting on  two day courses in Ontario in the next month or too.  If you go to my website then go to Links and then click on the Grey Tab CCUVS: Canadian Centre for Unmanned Vehicle Systems. The course is pretty good and you get your ROC-A Radio License along with it all for a reasonable price.

www.westcanuav.com
2015-6-12
Use props
Wildcat Willie
lvl.3

Canada

Here is an interesting radio clip comparing the FAA in the US to Transport Canada regs up here in the Great White North....As much as we Canadians chaff at all the regulations most of them are common sense rules that we follow and are formalized in Govt speak.   Be thankful we dont live under the FAA rules like our neighbors to the South...

Tahoe Ed please listen to this clip and set up a repair center in Canada...We are 10 years ahead of the US in Govt Regulations.
American Radio Clip with the CCUVS Canadian Center for Unmanned Aerial Vehicle Systems.

2015-6-12
Use props
Rob88
lvl.3

Canada

Wildcat Willie Posted at 2015-6-12 21:40
Here is an interesting radio clip comparing the FAA in the US to Transport Canada regs up here in th ...

Excellent clip.  Good find!
2015-6-12
Use props
Wildcat Willie
lvl.3

Canada

Rob88 Posted at 2015-6-13 01:48
Excellent clip.  Good find!

Yeah... Its easy to become negative with the Govt. I still find it amazing that  an organization like Transport Canada is that far ahead of the curve when compared to places like the USA and others. It helps draw it into perspective and that we are not that bad off as far as regs go...
2015-6-12
Use props
MaxJibber
lvl.1
Flight distance : 269396 ft
Canada

Wildcat Willie Posted at 2015-6-12 21:11
I agree that Transport Canada tried with their flow charts but they left out a significant number  ...

Thanks for the info, I'm gonna check it out!!
2015-6-15
Use props
Wildcat Willie
lvl.3

Canada

MaxJibber Posted at 2015-6-16 06:58
Thanks for the info, I'm gonna check it out!!

If you go to my website www.westcanuav.com  and go to the links in the grey buttons are all the links to Transport Canada, Nav Canada and Industry Canada that you need to consider...plus the CARs that they all reference to...
2015-6-15
Use props
babak88
New

Canada

Dear all,
Finally do I need liablity insurance for PHANTOM 3 PRO or not in CANADA? (for not commercial use)
Please let me know.

Thanks guys.
2015-10-6
Use props
Calvin Reich
New

Canada

Wildcat Willie Posted at 2015-6-3 05:39
Most  of that is already a requirement to operate under the 2.1 kg to 25kg.  You are already require ...

Actually there are 37 requirements under the 2 kg category and 58 under the 2.1-25 kg section.  Exemption rules

Perhaps the most overlooked is item #26, the distance from a built up area.  5 NM or 9 km from anything larger than a farmstead.  This applies to both weight categories.  Almost all non recreational operators require a Special flight operations certificate.
2016-3-8
Use props
Calvin Reich
New

babak88 Posted at 2015-10-6 19:39
Dear all,
Finally do I need liablity insurance for PHANTOM 3 PRO or not in CANADA? (for not commerci ...

Insurance is not required for recreational operators at this time.  Keep in mind you could still be held liable for any damages caused by your Phantom 3.
2016-3-8
Use props
Westwoodfilms.c
lvl.2

Canada

Just give a course for a uav license and be 18+ so we dont get teens smashing into buildings or street lights...
2016-3-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules