Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mixed advice from DJI
2041 15 2018-11-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Paul Joy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3754318 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

On this forum DJI are openly advising Inspire 2 customers to revert to .100 firmware until issues with the. .200 firmware have been addressed. I spoke to online support earlier today as I have an ongoing issue where the landing gear gets stuck on our Inspire 2 resulting in no option but to hand catch it. When I spoke to support previously about this issue they said to try reverting to .100 which we did but the problem persists. After another incident yesterday resulting in me having to hand catch the Inspire 2 with X7 attached I decided I need to have it fixed so spoke to support again this morning.

DJI support (Juan) now recommend going back and trying the .200 firmware!  I don't get it, I've shown that the problem persists in both firmware versions yet still they expect me to risk safety by hand catching our Inspire 2 but this time with the .200 firmware installed again.

I said that this seems like very dangerous advice, the responce from Support.... "we are always here to help!"

Crazy!
2018-11-1
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Captain
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

You must be new to this forum, aren't you ? Unfortunately DJI tech support staff rarely will provide realistic and workable solution by phone or e-mail. Too often they have only scripted answers and no experience whatsoever to offer.  

Your options:
1. If the issue is intermittent, wait for "soon-to-be-released" version .0300 of firmware and see.
2. If the issue is persistent, send the specimen for service. It may be of mechanical nature as well.
3. Master hand-catching technique and live with it until you figure it out. Attachable holders are available on DJI store.
These grips turn the Inspire 2 into a handheld, stabilized camera system. Inspire 2 Handle GripsUSD $139
2018-11-1
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi Paul, thanks for reaching DJI Forum. We do apologize for the troubles you had. Have you check the following:

The servo or screw lever is stuck.
There is an error with the app settings. For example, the Intelligent Landing Gear is disabled.
The central board does not supply power.
Landing gear control on RC is malfunctioning.
Flight height is not reading correctly,so auto landing gear not working

Kindly let us know if the issues still persist after checking the above mentioned. Thank you.
2018-11-4
Use props
GeoffG
Second Officer
Flight distance : 810082 ft
United Kingdom

Hand catching doesn't seem like a good idea in view of current battery problems.
2018-11-4
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Captain
  • >>>
Canada

GeoffG Posted at 11-4 05:47
Hand catching doesn't seem like a good idea in view of current battery problems.

Agree, hand catching of the Inspire is a desperate approach. Still, it's better option than emergency landing on the camera, isn't? However, in case of battery failure only a trapeze net may save the bird, assuming it's fortunate installation directly below .
2018-11-5
Use props
Rodger8
Captain
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

There are two different issues. One Firmware and two, Hardware. I have experienced both. My suggestion for the Hardware portion is to cycle the worm gear manually using  a screwdriver that fits perfectly into the bottom of the worm gear. Cycle it all the way up and down a couple of time while applying a dry lubricant to the thread on the shaft. I use Frog Lube in the Paste form. Hope this helps.
2018-11-5
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Captain
  • >>>
Canada

Rodger8 Posted at 11-5 04:52
There are two different issues. One Firmware and two, Hardware. I have experienced both. My suggestion for the Hardware portion is to cycle the worm gear manually using  a screwdriver that fits perfectly into the bottom of the worm gear. Cycle it all the way up and down a couple of time while applying a dry lubricant to the thread on the shaft. I use Frog Lube in the Paste form. Hope this helps.

Good advice, I forgot about this simple attempt to "exercise" and maintain the worm gear mechanism.
2018-11-5
Use props
Rodger8
Captain
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 11-5 17:04
Good advice, I forgot about this simple attempt to "exercise" and maintain the worm gear mechanism.

Mine was stuck in the beginning and moving it manually and putting some dry lube on it solved the issue.
2018-11-5
Use props
Paul Joy
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thanks for the tips. Unfortunately I've had this issue for a few months now and have tried all of the above over that time. The problem only occurs occasionally. I have cleaned and lubricated the worm drive and often cycle the gear before a job just to stop the problem happening once the camera is attached. This is something that has persisted through different firmware versions so I can only assume that the servo system is somehow weaker than it should be. I'd like to get the problem fixed while the aircraft is still in warranty but the support people said that it needs to be on the latest firmware before I can send it in.

Just out of interest does anybody else hear varying tones from the servo when the gear is operating? On mine when the gear goes up it starts with the motor sounding strong, then around 3/4 of the way through it sounds as though the motor starts to slow down as if it's struggling more.
2018-11-6
Use props
HyperSpectral
Second Officer
Flight distance : 839160 ft
United States

I absolutely would not catch any of these systems unless they're considered a micro uas. There's a very real chance of something tipping the wrong way or your not so smart human brain screwing you resulting in slicing your throat open and killing you. I've seen someone cut their finger cut off trying to catch an Inspire.

Better off landing it with the gear up gently unless you're some sort of masochist. You can also improvise some sort of landing platform that catches it on the sides with a hole for the camera, basically anything other than catching it.

2018-11-6
Use props
HyperSpectral
Second Officer
United States

Paul Joy Posted at 11-6 01:59
Thanks for the tips. Unfortunately I've had this issue for a few months now and have tried all of the above over that time. The problem only occurs occasionally. I have cleaned and lubricated the worm drive and often cycle the gear before a job just to stop the problem happening once the camera is attached. This is something that has persisted through different firmware versions so I can only assume that the servo system is somehow weaker than it should be. I'd like to get the problem fixed while the aircraft is still in warranty but the support people said that it needs to be on the latest firmware before I can send it in.

Just out of interest does anybody else hear varying tones from the servo when the gear is operating? On mine when the gear goes up it starts with the motor sounding strong, then around 3/4 of the way through it sounds as though the motor starts to slow down as if it's struggling more.

Sounds like it hits a rough spot on the worm gear or there's an issue with the electrical components driving the output to the servo. It's constant voltage on 2 wires and a PWM signal on the other wire.

Someone can look into troubleshooting it if they have the time.

edit: looks like someone has looked into it. Had a feeling there was a mosfet in there somewhere

"At first i assumed it was some kind of sensor that didn't report the position of the landing gear correctly but after visually trying to locate any sensors my focus got drawn to the worm drive servo at the top. After disassembling the servo i found a burnt out mosfet, one out of three. this is the Alpha & Omega 4616 mosfet. I ordered a couple of them and replaced the damaged one inside the servo. This got part of the problem solved. The servo worked but only for a short time so i suspected some kind of heat issue.  After some more testing and error and trial i ended up thermally coupling the controller chip in the servo to the servo chassi with a copper block and some cpu thermal compound. I did the same with the mosfets just for good practice. And now the servo and landing gear works as it should again.

What i discovered during my testing was that this servo uses no sensors at all. It is a continuous servo that stops automatically based on load. The inspire's main board has nothing to do with this.
with other words if it wasn't for the worm drive bottom out and stopping the servo this servo would just continue rotating in one or the other direction forever. I'm not surprised this servo will overheat overtime and stop behaving. I would suggest putting some cooling in this servo in preventive manner. It WILL fail sooner or later otherwise. "
2018-11-6
Use props
Paul Joy
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Interesting information, thanks for posting. Mine is very strange as it only tends to be a problem on the first flight of any given day. For instance I flew it last week on a job and at the beginning of the first flight when I raised the gear it went half way up and then stopped. I flicked the lever to the down position and nothing happened but when I flicked it back up again the gear rose by another few cm and then stopped again. I had to catch it as it wouldn't move at all after that.

Once I'd powered it off and on again it worked perfectly and continued to do so for the rest of the day. If it were a worn drive or something out of shape I'd expect it to cause an issue more often so it's quite tricky to track down the problem or to show it happening. next time I must remember to shoot some video to show it happening.
2018-11-6
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Captain
  • >>>
Canada

HyperSpectral Posted at 11-6 04:40
I absolutely would not catch any of these systems unless they're considered a micro uas. There's a very real chance of something tipping the wrong way or your not so smart human brain screwing you resulting in slicing your throat open and killing you. I've seen someone cut their finger cut off trying to catch an Inspire.

Better off landing it with the gear up gently unless you're some sort of masochist. You can also improvise some sort of landing platform that catches it on the sides with a hole for the camera, basically anything other than catching it.

"Better off landing it gently with the gear up..."

I'm sorry to say, but your advice is no good either. Unless the bottom sensors are disabled from within Go 4 app, the Inspire will not land with gear up. Even so, she'll tip over to it's side, props will hit the ground sending her all over the place in an unpredictable way before you'll be able to kill the motors after 3 seconds delay.
I clearly described hand-catching method as a desperate approach in Inspire case. Still it's a method with good chances of much better outcome, if practiced before.

Bottom line: only experienced, skilled mechanic may be able to determine the cause of occasionally malfunctioning servo/worm gear. The bird need maintenance, period.
2018-11-6
Use props
HyperSpectral
Second Officer
United States

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 11-6 14:15
"Better off landing it gently with the gear up..."

I'm sorry to say, but your advice is no good either. Unless the bottom sensors are disabled from within Go 4 app, the Inspire will not land with gear up. Even so, she'll tip over to it's side, props will hit the ground sending her all over the place in an unpredictable way before you'll be able to kill the motors after 3 seconds delay.

I'd rather damage a sUAS than risk hurting myself
2018-11-7
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Captain
  • >>>
Canada

HyperSpectral Posted at 11-7 07:41
I'd rather damage a sUAS than risk hurting myself

Chicken !
2018-11-7
Use props
GeoffG
Second Officer
Flight distance : 810082 ft
United Kingdom

The idea of a trapeze net sounds promising.  I have a giant 8ft blue screen  with spring foldout which might work!
We where practicing hand catches a couple of weeks ago (clad in protective gear), but don't think we'll be doing it again until this battery business is sorted out.  

Sorry Paul, I don't mean to make light of a seroius problem.  I will try our landing gear and listen to the sound it makes.  From memory it seem to operate in two "phases" fast & slow.

2018-11-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules