Once more about the High Wind Velocity warning
1178 2 2018-11-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
BumblerBee
Second Officer
Flight distance : 639764 ft
Norway

I've previously seen a few threads about the High Wind Velocity warning in the DJI Go app. Some heed the warning, some choose to disregard it, thinking the winds can't be that strong from where they are standing, and some are irritated by the modal nature of the warning - that you have to tak the tiny x to close it, potentially missing and forcing the camera to refocuse, thus ruining a shot.

While the latter can be a valid peeve, high wind velocity warning is so obtrusive for a reason. The wind where you are standing can be quite different from where you are flying. Case in point is the graph of the altitudee and wind velocity from my flight last week. I flew a bit out over Oslo fjord to get a shot of a small island. The wind at the ground level was 0m/s - the water was mirror-blank. One can see how at 40m the wind got to 4m/s. As I flew out, I continued climbing.

Once I reached my destination, I got the high wind velocity warning. From my standing point that would have seemed to be strange as there was still no wind (a small discclosure here: I knew from a forecast that winds blowing from the water would start in about half an hour, so this warning did not come as unexpected and did not alarm me).

The warning was triggered at about the time, when the wind speed exceeded 10m/s in the graph. I made the shots and turned back. As I flew closer to land, the wind sped decreesed even while I was holding the altitude. I flew for a bit closer to the home point, and only at about 840th second in the graph did I feel the first signs of the increasing wind at the ground level. A minute later is was blowing pretty strong, so I brought the bird down. By the time I finished packing, the winds were at about 16m/s!

So, in conclusion: ignore that warning at your own peril, even when it's completely calm on at the ground level.

wind.png
2018-11-1
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Yes, I must admit I ignore it most of the time.
But I try to fly against the wind the first part of the flight, so I always have enough battery to get back.
2018-11-1
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hi BumblerBee. Thank you for sharing your experience with us today. It is best practice that if there is a warning or a notification on the DJI Go or DJI Go 4 application we have to follow it just to be sure that drone will not be in danger. Thank you for your support. Haves a safe and a happy flying.
2018-11-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules