Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Multi-battery missions and terrain following with P4P-RTK
3825 13 2018-11-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
barnwow

United States

Hi DJI,

I presently use a Phantom 4 Pro to survey a small (0.5 square km), rugged (over 1200 feet of relief) site for structure from motion topographic reconstruction.

I am interested in your P4P with RTK as it would sove many issues I have with ground control and terrain model uncertainty assessment. However, there are two questions I have about the new P4P with RTK platform that I have not been able to answer using existing posts or documentation. Without the functionality described in the two questions, the new platform is not useful for my work.
1. Is terrain following possible using the P4P with RTK? Any of the following options would be sufficient for my needs:
  • The ability to upload a KMZ line that the UAS would follow.
  • The ability to upload a terrain model to use with your built in software (I have an airborne LiDAR survey of the area).
  • The ability to use third party software that supports either a SRTM-based or user-specified terrain model

2. Does the GS Pro app support multi-battery missions?

Thank you.

2018-11-1
Use props
Nebuchadnezzar
Captain
Flight distance : 3428747 ft
Spain

Hello barnwow !! i found this :  Download the full report to find out more about the levels of accuracy that were achieved with the Phantom 4 RTK.

https://go.coptrz.com/phantom4rt ... content=phantom4rtk

p4rtkebook3.png
2018-11-2
Use props
Nebuchadnezzar
Captain
Flight distance : 3428747 ft
Spain

all airborne LiDAR related i found is mounted in Matrice series
2018-11-2
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, thanks for reaching DJI Forum. We do appreciate bringing this query to us. For more information please visit this link https://www.dji.com/phantom-4-rtk/info#faq. GS Pro currently is not compatible with Phantom 4 RTK https://www.dji.com/ground-stati ... brandsite&from=nav. Should you have concerns, don't hesitate to reach us. We're here to help. Thank you.

gspro.PNG
2018-11-2
Use props
barnwow

United States

Thanks for your responses, however, none of them have answered my two questions.
DJI Gamora, your response made me realize that I had written GS Pro, I meant to write the built-in GS RTK app that is described on the P4P-RTK page (https://www.dji.com/phantom-4-rtk) and in the associated PDF documents.

To revise my questions:

1. Is terrain following possible using the P4P with RTK? Any of the following options would be sufficient for my needs:
  • The ability to upload a KMZ line that the UAS would follow in the built-in GS RTK app.
  • The ability to upload a terrain model to use with the built in GS RTK app (I have existing airborne LiDAR survey of the area).
  • The ability to use third party software that supports either a SRTM-based or user-specified terrain model

2. Does the GS RTK app support multi-battery missions?  
2018-11-2
Use props
JADaniello
lvl.1
United States

The answer to all of your questions is yes. Im not kidding either. Third party apps are coming as the SDK has been released, but they do not exist as of yet.
2018-12-26
Use props
jivago
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23671 ft
Iran

Hi
Have two following questions been answered?
I mean flying based on terrain and supporting p4pr by third-party software.
Thanks
2019-3-22
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

barnwow Posted at 2018-11-2 07:51
Thanks for your responses, however, none of them have answered my two questions.
DJI Gamora, your response made me realize that I had written GS Pro, I meant to write the built-in GS RTK app that is described on the P4P-RTK page (https://www.dji.com/phantom-4-rtk) and in the associated PDF documents.

The answer to question 1 is no, terrain following is not possible as the aircraft has no method of determining its altitude above the terrain., except at very low levels (below 3 Metres) and even at that altitude it is not reliable. Question 2, perhaps, but it would be specific to any custom, software created.
2019-3-22
Use props
patiam
Captain
Flight distance : 1093865 ft
  • >>>
United States

Geebax Posted at 3-22 21:35
The answer to question 1 is no, terrain following is not possible as the aircraft has no method of determining its altitude above the terrain., except at very low levels (below 3 Metres) and even at that altitude it is not reliable. Question 2, perhaps, but it would be specific to any custom, software created.

To elaborate:

Q1: No. Terrain following using realtime  altitude vs. a  preloaded DSM does not exist for the P4P RTK, despite widespread requests for same. It is entirely doable, but DJI has not offered it yet.

Q2: Yes but it doesn't work as it should. The supplied software has issues resuming the mission at the proper waypoint and as yet no 3rd-party solution exists.
2019-3-22
Use props
jivago
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23671 ft
Iran

Geebax Posted at 3-22 21:35

My friend, you watch the matter of following terrain from wrong side. There is no need to aware of altitude above ground if you design fly path according to digital elevation model (DEM). This matter has solved properly in third-party software like "Map Pilot" since two years ago and I used it many times with P4P and Inspire2.

If P4PR's firmware allows users to use RC of P4P everything is done or GS Pro Rtk follow the approach that Map Pilot has used.
2019-3-22
Use props
barnwow

United States

thanks all for the comments (related to the topic or peripheral...)

@patiam do you find that there is consistency in the issues with multi battery or that it it is highly variable (e.g. sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, or it works for small numbers of batteries).
2019-4-3
Use props
patiam
Captain
  • >>>
United States

barnwow Posted at 4-3 15:14
thanks all for the comments (related to the topic or peripheral...)

@patiam do you find that there is consistency in the issues with multi battery or that it it is highly variable (e.g. sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, or it works for small numbers of batteries).

@barnwow-

See this thread:

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... D693%26typeid%3D693
2019-4-3
Use props
barnwow

United States

@patiam thanks for pointing me to the right thread!
2019-4-4
Use props
patiam
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Looks like DJI just took a stab at terrain following in the newest firmware...
2019-5-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules